Tim's GBZ [WIP]

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
Tim

Tim's GBZ [WIP]

Post by Tim » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:53 am

Hi guys!

so i started my build probably a month ago and i'm nearly finished. The only parts that i am missing is the powerboost and a 18650 cell. My goal with this project was to keep the Pi removeable. I did that by using a GPIO-Ribbon-Cable. Because no Teensy or USB-Hub was used, i saved a lot of space to realize this.

Main parts i used:
-Pi Zero (of course :mrgreen: )
-Gameboy Replacement Shell
-PRS-Tech 4-Button PCB
-GPIO-Ribbon-Cable
-Mini HDMI to HDMI Adapter
-PAM 8403 Amplifier
-Gearbest Screen
-Buttons and Buttonwells from a fake SNES-Controller

I started the project by drilling the X and Y holes into the case. I had bought an 10.5mm drill bit but in the end i used my dremel because the big drill really messed up the plastic around the holes even tough i pre-drilled them with smaller bits.
image3.jpeg
image3.jpeg (1.62 MiB) Viewed 5918 times
image4.jpeg
image4.jpeg (1.54 MiB) Viewed 5918 times
Next i cut out the sreen bezel with my dremel. I used some tape to mark the area that is needed to hold the screen protector.
image5.jpeg
image5.jpeg (1.89 MiB) Viewed 5918 times
For the L and R Buttons i wanted to use the original buttons that came with the Shell so i also put some 10.5mm holes in the back.
image8.jpeg
image8.jpeg (2.08 MiB) Viewed 5918 times
image11.jpeg
image11.jpeg (1.91 MiB) Viewed 5918 times
While i was doing the electronics inside the Gameboy i was that hyped of finishing it that i absolutely forgot to take some fotos :cry: . This is how it looks now:
image10.jpeg
image10.jpeg (1.61 MiB) Viewed 5918 times
You can see that i placed the Raspberry quite differentely than most others because i needed a lot of height to fit the GPIO-Connector.
In the battery compartment i already made space for the 18650-cell and it fits perfectely. The PCB's for the L and R buttons between the Raspberry and the battery compartment are hold in place with some metal pieces out of a food tin that i bend and superglued in place. The halves of the shell are removeable because i used connectors wherever i could. I also wanted to use a full HDMI output for using standard cables. After a bit of cutting, it fit nicely. The lowpass-filter is hidden right under the pi. It's outputs are bridged together with two 2.2kohm resistors. The headphone jack, volume wheel and the missing USB-port still need to be glued in after testing.

From the outside my Gameboy looks like this right now:
image9.jpeg
image9.jpeg (2.04 MiB) Viewed 5918 times
The buttons from the SNES-Controller are too small but it works and i can fix that later. For the Screen cover i used the one that came with the Shell. I removed it's paint with some nail polish remover and painted the new border with Grey nail polish. I didn`t pull the protective film off yet, so there are a lot of bubbles and scratches visible.

I probably made a lot of mistakes in writing this because i am still learning English, so feel free to correct me :geek: . (and comment)

Tim

DeltaShadow

Re: Tim's GBZ [WIP]

Post by DeltaShadow » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:24 am

hey that mini hdmi to hdmi is a great idea did you make it like that or was it just a simple take it out of casing that the parts came in? if this is the case can you post a link to the kind you purchased? If not where you bought parts and wire gauge?

Tim

Post by Tim » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:41 am

I used something like this:
http://m.ebay.com/itm/New-Swivel-Right- ... nav=SEARCH

but the cables inside are very short so you don't have much options with placing the pi.
I think this has longer cables inside:
http://m.ebay.com/itm/Mini-HDMI-type-C- ... nav=SEARCH

DeltaShadow

Post by DeltaShadow » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:53 am

Tim wrote:I used something like this:
http://m.ebay.com/itm/New-Swivel-Right- ... nav=SEARCH

but the cables inside are very short so you don't have much options with placing the pi.
I think this has longer cables inside:
http://m.ebay.com/itm/Mini-HDMI-type-C- ... nav=SEARCH

Thank you this really helps me a lot! going to use this in my second build.

Nosfay

Post by Nosfay » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:08 pm

Hi Tim,

Are you able to use HDMI or composite without changing your settings? (HDMI ON if wired at startup, else composite ON)

Good job for your GBZ :)