NES Classic Mini Clone

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
Fleder

NES Classic Mini Clone

Post by Fleder » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:22 pm

Hi guys and gals,

my fiance wanted one of those new Nintendo NES Classic Mini consoles so bad,
but they were sold out nearly everywhere and some jerks sold them for around 200€ on ebay instead.
Also, the reviews were not that great for a console that was around 70€ anyway.

Well, so I did what most good boyfriends would do and built her a custom one.

I present to you, my NES Classic Mini Clone:

It is powered by an Orange Pi PC, which had the advantage of a HDMI Output and an on-board Power Button,
which I could use to shut it down via another one wired to it, that was placed on the outside of the case.
The case itself was an industry case, used by manufacturers to build hardware like routers and the like.
I cut holes for the 2 USB Ports, the Power Switch and Button and the HDMI Port plus the Power Cable.
I printed out a self-made design to make it look like the original on transparent laser self-adhesive.
Complete was the whole setup with 2 SNES Controllers and a lot of Roms.

My fiance is happy and can finally enjoy all the games from her childhood memories again.

Thanks a lot to the following people, which gave me advice and help along the way, and which I certainly annoyed one time or another:
[mention]kite[/mention]
[mention]Camble[/mention]
Peter Argles
(if I forgot YOU, sorry about that, just hit me up and I will add you)

And last but not least, a few more shots of the whole project:
[spoiler="Theyre just photos after all"]Image
Image[/spoiler]
Last edited by Fleder on Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Camble

Re: NES Classic Mini Clone

Post by Camble » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:09 pm

Ooooh! Awesome! I didn't realise this was your own. Looks cool :) Glad you get it working.

wishkeeper

Post by wishkeeper » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:08 pm

I'm also planning of doing one similar to this!

I would like to use the orange pi PC version 2 instead and 3D print the case

CaptainDurden

Post by CaptainDurden » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:31 pm

awesome! what do you run on the orange pi, is that retropie as well? how well does it work? and how's the performance compared to a pi 3?

btw, i am currently building a custom nes mini as well, but even simpler than yours, using a pi 3, case, arcadeskin stickers and 2 8bitdo Nes30 pro controllers. looks nowhere near as nice as yours but it gets the point across and my older brother will be able to play mario with his kids on xmas eve without having to pay 250€ to some asshole scalper for a shitty Nes mini. i just hope the stuff gets here in time, ordered it 3 weeks ago. gonna look kinda like this, i hope:

Helder wrote:People spend so much time in asking questions and no time looking for an answer that is available.

Double0EK

Post by Double0EK » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:12 pm

CaptainDurden wrote:awesome! what do you run on the orange pi, is that retropie as well? how well does it work? and how's the performance compared to a pi 3?

btw, i am currently building a custom nes mini as well, but even simpler than yours, using a pi 3, case, arcadeskin stickers and 2 8bitdo Nes30 pro controllers. looks nowhere near as nice as yours but it gets the point across and my older brother will be able to play mario with his kids on xmas eve without having to pay 250€ to some asshole scalper for a shitty Nes mini. i just hope the stuff gets here in time, ordered it 3 weeks ago. gonna look kinda like this, i hope:

Thanks for sharing that arcade skin link. Just ordered one.

abrugsch

Post by abrugsch » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:48 pm

Very tidy build! And even funnier as I know Peter Argles from my hackerspace!

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:44 pm

Very cool @Fleder, thanks for sharing - looks great! :)

By the way, I added an Orange Pi forum to the hardware section. Sounds like several people (including myself) are starting to mess with them. :)
ImageImageImageImage

Fleder

Post by Fleder » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:34 am

Thank you guys :)
CaptainDurden wrote:awesome! what do you run on the orange pi, is that retropie as well? how well does it work? and how's the performance compared to a pi 3?

It is RetrOrangePi, a customized and edited Version of RetroPie for the Orange Pi.
It runs like the original and the following emulators worked, as i have tested them:
GB, GBA, GBC, C64, NES, SNES, PSX, N64
How it compares to the Pi3 I can not tell, because I've never had a Pi 3.
The downloads are taken offline, for they are working on the new 3.0 Version, which should come out this month.
If you can't wait and need the 2.5.2 one, it is still around for download, just write me a pm.

abrugsch wrote:Very tidy build! And even funnier as I know Peter Argles from my hackerspace!
Haha, nice coincidence. Tell him thank you again from me. I would've never met the deadline without his help.

wermy wrote:Very cool Fleder, thanks for sharing - looks great! :)

By the way, I added an Orange Pi forum to the hardware section. Sounds like several people (including myself) are starting to mess with them. :)
Thanks, those boards lack the information that is available for the Raspberries, but they are indeed capable and cheap.
If you do not need the GPIO pins, you can use one of those instead of the Rapsberries and save a few bucks.

If you'd like, you could move my topic about the OPi PC to the new subforum. Thanks.

There also is a new Orange Pi Zero around, which seems to be a good alternative to the RPi0 and it also has onboard Wifi.

Primeguey

Post by Primeguey » Tue May 23, 2017 4:33 pm

Do you have a link or a template for the nes sticker skin, or are these printed out on the decal types that they use for model cars, i.e. dipping into water first to separate from the sheet?

Fleder

Post by Fleder » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:12 am

Primeguey wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 4:33 pm
Do you have a link or a template for the nes sticker skin, or are these printed out on the decal types that they use for model cars, i.e. dipping into water first to separate from the sheet?
If you are talking about the ones I used on mine, those are made by me. If you are still interested, I could share them with you.
Those were printed on self-adhesive laser printer film at work.