Gameboy 'Athena' (Pi3) build log [WIP].

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
moooarcuuuus

Re: Gameboy 'Athena' (Pi3) build log [WIP].

Post by moooarcuuuus » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:26 am

In my Gbz I will have a analog joystick from a PSP. I have never really used it to play. I imagine a real with lever much better for my next build. So the PS2 analog joystick is very interessting. I am following this topic.

Can you make pictures from bottom etc? What are the dimensions in mm?
Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep... Game Over

neolith

Post by neolith » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:36 am

jb32647 wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:13 am
Well, the stick sat in detergent and bleach, which got rid of the grease and stickiness, but it is still discoloured.

So I've left it in a solution of stain-remover and washing powder, which should hopefully remove the discolouration.
If the discoloration comes from old age you could give the retr0bright method a try. I've never tried it myself, but the pictures look promising.
– "The biggest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." –

jb32647

Post by jb32647 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:19 pm

Well, the stain remover worked a treat, all the brown discolouration is gone, and the stick's top part is back to the original grey.
Clean stickShow
@neolith suggested using retrobrite, but I don't have any peroxide or hair cream, but I would recommend it if the staining was really bad. Since it was only a bit of brownness, the washing powder/stain remover solution worked fine, after leaving it overnight.

@moooarcuuuus
moooarcuuuus wrote:Can you make pictures from bottom etc? What are the dimensions in mm?
More than happy to oblige!
UnderneathShow
SideShow
The dimensions of the stick (including the L3 button that sticks out the side) are 25mm*18mm*24mm. (L*W*H)

Each Axis has 3 pins, which are (from left to right): VCC (connect to arduino's 5v pin), Analogue out (connect this to the arduino's analogue pins), and GND (Connect to arduino's ground pin.).
Last edited by jb32647 on Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
An amateur at best. Current project: GB 'Athena'

jb32647

Post by jb32647 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:21 pm

P.S. Just received word that my LCD has been shipped from China, should be here by the 24th of October.

jb32647

Post by jb32647 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:59 pm

I got to work trimming down the analogue stick for it to fit in the case, and the spherical plastic on the stick came off very easily. However, the shaft is a bit harder, I assumed it would be made of a soft metal like Aluminium or sprung steel, but it's actual punched steel, so my tin-snips have no effect on it.
I can go to the local workshop tomorrow and use the grinding wheel to shorten it.

moooarcuuuus

Post by moooarcuuuus » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:57 pm

Thank you for the information.
Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep... Game Over

jb32647

Post by jb32647 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:32 am

I've been comms-quiet recently, as term 4 of school started this week. I got my composite screen in the post and it works!
ScreenShow
However, I noticed the screen was off-centre, and realised that it was because the glue had come off and the actual LCD module was rattling around inside the bezel!
SpoilerShow
In any case, I opened it up and tried giving it 5v right off the bat, to no avail, the screen just flickered. However, by googling some of the 8-pin chips, I found the 5v regulator, and by soldering a jumper wire, I was able to get it working with 5v.
5v screen modShow
Since this board was not on the Wiki, I added it there with details of the 5v mod.

I also finished the analogue stick, and by grinding down the shaft, it has far less travel on it, making it more suitable for a portable unit.
SpoilerShow

firestw152

Post by firestw152 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:40 pm

jb32647 wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:32 am
I've been comms-quiet recently, as term 4 of school started this week. I got my composite screen in the post and it works!
ScreenShow
However, I noticed the screen was off-centre, and realised that it was because the glue had come off and the actual LCD module was rattling around inside the bezel!
SpoilerShow
In any case, I opened it up and tried giving it 5v right off the bat, to no avail, the screen just flickered. However, by googling some of the 8-pin chips, I found the 5v regulator, and by soldering a jumper wire, I was able to get it working with 5v.
5v screen modShow
Since this board was not on the Wiki, I added it there with details of the 5v mod.

I also finished the analogue stick, and by grinding down the shaft, it has far less travel on it, making it more suitable for a portable unit.
SpoilerShow
How are you connecting the joystick to the pi?

jb32647

Post by jb32647 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:02 pm

firestw152 wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:40 pm
How are you connecting the joystick to the pi?
The sticks have 6 pins, 4 of which are connected in pairs. I connect GND to ground, VCC to VCC and the outputs to the analogue inputs on my pro-micro.

theklarken

Post by theklarken » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:08 am

This is really something! As someone who has just become aware of the awesome world of SBCs, I can't wait to see you finished work and learn from all the awesome information you've put in this thread! Good luck with school, too! :D