YaYa's first GBZ - Kite's SAIO - Big Battery - NO Glue - Custom 3D parts - DC Jack - minimum case mod

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
YaYa

Re: YaYa's first GBZ - Kite's SAIO - Big Battery - NO Glue - DC Jack - minimum case mod

Post by YaYa » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:01 am

shesaysidontlisten wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:57 pm
YaYa wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:49 pm
I have no problem to hold the battery. I am encountering some issues to maintain a good contact between the pogo pins and the battery.
I’m trying another update of my pogo pin holder.
To tell you shortly, i have shaved some small bits to allow the part to sit 1 mm down. Then i reversed the pogo upside down (and reversed also the cables to respect polarity) i fed up the rear of the 3D part with VHB to stick it upside down for testing purposes.

This manipulation allows me to have the pins in the good angle so they can bend without deformation when the battery is going down.

Now that i know this way is better, i’m going to rework the model to add a step on the rear (this will prevent me from filling with 3mm VHB lol) and i will add a wall on the rear.

Why a wall ? because the design and the followed path is good but with many in and outs, the pogo pins slightly goes back in the case and then i have some connection lost when playing.

I really want to keep the grinding of the case very tight because i don’t want the battery to move.

I’ll deal with the 3D model this weekend and post it here.
I’m for now away on a trip for my job so i’m a bit lazy and just want to play :mrgreen:
YaYa, did you ever finish with your refitting of the battery bay? Your design is the reason I bought Pogo pins and the same batteries. I haven't started grinding Down the Walls of the battery compartment yet, so if you have any measurements or 3D printed parts that make things work better, please post them!

Edit: I also wanted to thank you for all the optimization stuff! Once I have a functional GBZ I'm going through every one of those settings.
I am away for my job and did really have time designing again the support. I have modified the last print with an exacto knife and now i know how to do the trick. Toorrow i’m back home and i’ll publish an updated version.

Thank you for your interest
Follow me on instagram Image

moooarcuuuus

Re: YaYa's first GBZ - Kite's SAIO - Big Battery - NO Glue - DC Jack - minimum case mod

Post by moooarcuuuus » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:55 am

Where do you connect the DC-Jack? Very good thread.
Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep... Game Over

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:23 am

moooarcuuuus wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:55 am
Where do you connect the DC-Jack? Very good thread.
Thank you very much Mooarcuuuus ! :D

The DC barrel plug is connected to the pads just behind the power in micro usb on the SAIO.

On the above picture (taken from Kite’s wiki), those are the pads between the HDMI, USB and SD. These pads are the extension of the power micro usb port. So i’m not using the micro usb port and did not cut the hole for it and instead i put the DC barrel i to the classic hole and hold it with my custom support.

Tonight i will share the stls.

moooarcuuuus

Post by moooarcuuuus » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:01 am

Ouch... of course, there are solder pads. I am blind today. :D
Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep, Eat, Sleep... Game Over

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:51 am

update 24/10/2017

Some updates and more pictures :mrgreen:

I was just a lot disturbed by the glares on the glass screen so i have decided to go for a laptop screen protective plastic shield with anti glare.
Before the updateShow
IMG_0857.JPG
IMG_0857.JPG (2.79 MiB) Viewed 10432 times
After the updateShow
IMG_0858.JPG
IMG_0858.JPG (2.52 MiB) Viewed 10432 times
You can notice that despite all my attentions and the use of the alcohol spray technique to make the sheet slide, i managed to capture a bubble (actually cause by a cloth dust :twisted: )
The cutting was a bit hard and now that i have the right technique, as soon as this one gets scratched, i'll do it even better :D
Speaker housing tray without modificationShow
IMG_0859.JPG
IMG_0859.JPG (2.45 MiB) Viewed 10432 times
Speaker housing tray after modificationShow
IMG_0860.JPG
IMG_0860.JPG (2.49 MiB) Viewed 10432 times
I'm my quest for zero glue and no screws nothing invasive, i've decided to tight fit the speaker in the original site. I slightly grinded the round shape to take around 0.5mm from all round the circle, and i just push fit the speaker in it and voila. It's so tight that i need to use a flat screwdriver as a lever from the cut you can see.

Here is the speaker i am using
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4PCS-Sp ... 08263.html

DC barrel jack and power switch supportShow
IMG_0861.JPG
IMG_0861.JPG (2.85 MiB) Viewed 10432 times
Home made design to use with
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10Pcs-H ... 57484.html
and
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-sh ... 52393.html

The mode button supportShow
IMG_0862.JPG
IMG_0862.JPG (3.01 MiB) Viewed 10432 times
IMG_0863.JPG
IMG_0863.JPG (2.49 MiB) Viewed 10432 times
Again, zero glue here. The button i have used
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/50PCS-6 ... 69199.html
I have grinded the button to make it shorter.

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:18 pm

update 24/10/2017

THE DOWNLOADS PART I :mrgreen:

Before starting, i kindly remind everyone that these designs are subject to Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0)
Please read the Human Readable summary
Please take some time to read the complete licence

For anyone lazy...
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

---------------------------------------------------------------
You are free to:
Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format
Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material

The licensor cannot revoke these freedoms as long as you follow the license terms.

Under the following terms:

Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.

NonCommercial — You may not use the material for commercial purposes.

ShareAlike — If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you must distribute your contributions under the same license as the original.

No additional restrictions — You may not apply legal terms or technological measures that legally restrict others from doing anything the license permits.

For attribution, please link to this post

That said...

THE MODE BUTTON SUPPORT :mrgreen:
mode-switch-support.stl
(128.19 KiB) Downloaded 408 times
mode button support.jpg
mode button support.jpg (32.96 KiB) Viewed 10429 times
You can use any 6x6mm tactile switches.

THE DC BARREL AND POWER SWITCH SUPPORT :mrgreen:
power-switch-support.stl
(110.59 KiB) Downloaded 411 times
switch and barrel support.jpg
switch and barrel support.jpg (35.65 KiB) Viewed 10429 times
Designed for use with this DC Power Jack Socket Connector https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10Pcs-H ... 57484.html
and this High Side Toggle switch 2P2T 2 Position Slide Switch https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-sh ... 52393.html

THE POGO PINS SUPPORT (W.I.P. design not finished, not yet 100% functionnal) :mrgreen:
battery-connector-support.stl
(27.3 KiB) Downloaded 358 times
pogo pins support.jpg
pogo pins support.jpg (36.54 KiB) Viewed 10429 times
This support is designed to use with the aftermarket Samsung Galaxy S2 pogo pins
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10pcs-l ... 75669.html
THIS IS STILL A W.I.P. so please don't blame me if this is not working for you yet :D

THE POGO PINS SUPPORT V2 (W.I.P. design finished, not yet tested as i'm waiting for the 3D print) :mrgreen:
battery-connector-support-v2.stl
(58.76 KiB) Downloaded 348 times
pogo pins support v2.jpg
pogo pins support v2.jpg (42.31 KiB) Viewed 10295 times
This support is designed to use with the aftermarket Samsung Galaxy S2 pogo pins
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10pcs-l ... 75669.html
THIS IS STILL A W.I.P. so please don't blame me if this is not working for you yet :D
The difference from V1 is the pogo pin being used reversed upside down so that the pins can bend in the correct direction (from up to down)
I have removed 2 small pieces of material so that the holder can sit a bit further down, this will allow a better vertical alignment between the battery pads and the pins (now it's all centered)
I have removed some material from the front for the same reason.
Added a "wall" behind to support the back of the pogo pins (we will add VHB up this wall and on the battery side of the wall so the pogo pin will slide and stick on top, preventing it to lift, move right/left, and back)

THE BATTERY HOLDER :mrgreen:
lipo-support-v2.stl
(17.07 KiB) Downloaded 366 times
battery holder.jpg
battery holder.jpg (44.18 KiB) Viewed 10295 times
This support is designed to be used with the aftermarket Samsung Galaxy S2 batteries. It allows the battery to be hold tight in the compartment and also it's a guide to see where to grind the sides :mrgreen:
The bottom gives you the bottom level for grinding, the left and right walls, gives the right and left limits to grind

If you find those files useful and think that it deserves it, please support by making a donation. Nothing mandatory, you are free. Any amount will be greatly appreciated.

Check also the download part II ----> viewtopic.php?f=43&t=4258&start=80#p48177
Last edited by YaYa on Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:19 pm, edited 9 times in total.

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:22 pm

update 24/10/2017

THE DOWNLOADS PART II :mrgreen:

Before starting, i kindly remind everyone that these designs are subject to Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0)
Please read the Human Readable summary
Please take some time to read the complete licence

For anyone lazy...
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
You are free to:
Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format
Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material

The licensor cannot revoke these freedoms as long as you follow the license terms.

Under the following terms:

Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.

NonCommercial — You may not use the material for commercial purposes.

ShareAlike — If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you must distribute your contributions under the same license as the original.

No additional restrictions — You may not apply legal terms or technological measures that legally restrict others from doing anything the license permits.

For attribution, please link to this post

That said...

THE GAME BOX :mrgreen:
Box.zip
(3.99 MiB) Downloaded 374 times
YaYa---GB-Box-Template-3D.png
YaYa---GB-Box-Template-3D.png (3.32 MiB) Viewed 10428 times
THE STICKERS :mrgreen:
DMG-GBZ-serial_number.jpg
DMG-GBZ-serial_number.jpg (10.18 KiB) Viewed 10426 times
Barcode-label.jpg
Barcode-label.jpg (52.67 KiB) Viewed 10428 times
label_template---3D.png
label_template---3D.png (244.87 KiB) Viewed 10428 times
label_template.png
label_template.png (97.12 KiB) Viewed 10421 times
service.jpg
service.jpg (43.12 KiB) Viewed 10428 times
DMG-GBZ-battery_wrap_sticker.png
DMG-GBZ-battery_wrap_sticker.png (118.7 KiB) Viewed 10426 times
The battery label is designed to be used with this battery http://www.mbuynow.com/4800mah-replacem ... p-843.html

If you find those files useful and think that it deserves it, please support by making a donation. Nothing mandatory, you are free. Any amount will be greatly appreciated.

Check also the download part III ----> viewtopic.php?f=43&t=4258&p=48277#p48277
Last edited by YaYa on Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:53 pm

Tests prints of the stickers.
I have a sale thread opened for those stickers factory printed. More information here
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=3752
IMG_0292.JPG
IMG_0292.JPG (4.06 MiB) Viewed 10422 times
IMG_0291.JPG
IMG_0291.JPG (3.55 MiB) Viewed 10422 times
IMG_0300.JPG
IMG_0300.JPG (5 MiB) Viewed 10422 times
IMG_0287.JPG
IMG_0287.JPG (4.53 MiB) Viewed 10422 times

shesaysidontlisten

Post by shesaysidontlisten » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:54 pm

This build is phenomenal. Maybe by the time I get to my 3rd or 8th build it will look half as good. Still fretting lining up the pogo pins right.

Also, what is the purpose of the mode button? Is that something I've overlooked?

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:05 pm

shesaysidontlisten wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:54 pm
This build is phenomenal. Maybe by the time I get to my 3rd or 8th build it will look half as good. Still fretting lining up the pogo pins right.

Also, what is the purpose of the mode button? Is that something I've overlooked?
thanks for your comment ! :D
No, i am not anymore fretting with the pogo pins alignment, i have a working model based on my previous 3D print that i have slaughtered :lol: but i am still away from my home for my job so i do not have access to my CAD software, i cannot modify the CAD for now.

It's a matter of few days, final update, one last print and i'm pretty sure this time i'll be good :D

The mode button is specific to Kite's SAIO. It allows you to enable "secret" functions like a hotkey... For example Mode+A button enables wifi, mode + B disables it...
Take a look here https://github.com/geebles/Super-AIO/wi ... rtcut-Keys