Not working USB on Rpi zero W? No problem :)

Having trouble with your GBZ build? Ask your questions here!
doro44

Not working USB on Rpi zero W? No problem :)

Post by doro44 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:44 am

For all you guys with broken USBs on your Raspberry PI Zero W - this guide will help you to use your raspberry pi zero W in your GBZ project even without working usb. Mine Rpi zero W works, I only have not functioning USBs, not sure what happened. I have tried a lot of tricks and tips, but none of them worked at all. So I tought I have ended up with Rpi brick. Nope, I did not. After a month I have tried to manualy configure the Rpi for my wifi and tried to SSH to it with success :). Since then I was able to configure it to my needs remotely via terminal. here is how I did that:

1. get a pc that can browse EXT4 partitions (in my case I have created a puppy linux bootable USB)
2. boot and open the ext4 partition on your sd card
3. locate the folder /etc/network/ and open file interfaces (no extension on this file)
4. in this file, locate the line "allow-hotplug wlan0" and put following code in that section:

Code: Select all

iface wlan0 inet static
    address 192.168.0.198
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    network 192.168.0.1
    broadcast 192.168.1.255
    gateway 192.168.0.1
    wpa-ssid "WIFINAME"
    wpa-psk "WIFIPASSWD"
I decided to go with static IP address, so I can later easily connect to the device via ssh. Make sure you use your own IP addresses, ssid and password.
5. Save the file and go to the boot partition (this should be fat32) and put empty file to the root with name ssh (no extension)
6. Put the sd card to Rpi and boot up. The Rpi should now be connected to your wifi network. (test it with ping)
7. try to ssh to the pi and login using pi as user name and raspberry as password

Yow you can configure your GPIO buttons and copy games to it.
Hope this helps someone :)