[Solved] I've soldered the common ground PCB to the GPIO how to "headless setup"

Having trouble with your GBZ build? Ask your questions here!
cturts

[Solved] I've soldered the common ground PCB to the GPIO how to "headless setup"

Post by cturts » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:49 pm

Hey!

Thanks for helping out...

Like I mention I've soldered all the cables from the common ground pcb to the Pi Zero W and have booted the img file by plugging in the pi to power and mini hdmi, it now says no controllers found.

I've googled around and my head is absolutely fried! I have no keyboard that would plug in, so I found that that's called a headless setup.

So to try the headless setup I put in the wpa_supplicant.conf file with the network and password, and put in a file called SSH

I booted up again and nothing comes up, even when I went on LANscan (I'm on a mac) it didn't find it :(

Can anyone help me get the pi on wifi so I can access it?

PLUS,
From there how do I get it to recognise the pcb as a controller, I've downloaded the retrogame.c would I be right to put that in the root (which is the /boot)

Thank you so much!
Last edited by cturts on Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

mattc

Re: So I've soldered the common ground PCB to the GPIO what on earth now

Post by mattc » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:11 pm

Follow this guide for wifi:

https://retropie.org.uk/docs/Wifi/

Have a look here for configuring your pcb:

viewtopic.php?t=57

cturts

Re: So I've soldered the common ground PCB to the GPIO how to "headless setup"

Post by cturts » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:21 pm

But unfortunately I can't do either of them first, as I can't move around on the emulationstation settings to set up without the controls working and I can't put the files across via SSH without it having wifi being set up?

I think I thought the soldering was going to be the hardest bit paha, I only know a little about this side of things if anyone could help a little more than those guides

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:12 am

Follow me on instagram Image

fraggle

Post by fraggle » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:59 am

YaYa wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:12 am
Read my guide here
viewtopic.php?t=3567&view=unread#unread
Doesn't retropie already support this?

Connecting to Wifi Without a Keyboard
If you wish to connect to wifi without needing an extra keyboard you can add a file to the boot partition of the sd card called wifikeyfile.txt

place your network details here (note only works on WPA networks)

ssid="NETWORK_NAME"
psk="NETWORK_PASSWORD"

You can then access the wifi module and select the option to "Import wifi credentials from /boot/wifikeyfile.txt"

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:16 am

fraggle wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:59 am
YaYa wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:12 am
Read my guide here
viewtopic.php?t=3567&view=unread#unread
Doesn't retropie already support this?

Connecting to Wifi Without a Keyboard
If you wish to connect to wifi without needing an extra keyboard you can add a file to the boot partition of the sd card called wifikeyfile.txt

place your network details here (note only works on WPA networks)

ssid="NETWORK_NAME"
psk="NETWORK_PASSWORD"

You can then access the wifi module and select the option to "Import wifi credentials from /boot/wifikeyfile.txt"
It’s not the same method .Your way needs to create a file in the boot partition and then use retropie setup menus to import it.
My style is creating a file in the boot partition and the import is automatic at boot.
Follow me on instagram Image

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:02 am

cturts wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:49 pm
Hey!

Thanks for helping out...

Like I mention I've soldered all the cables from the common ground pcb to the Pi Zero W and have booted the img file by plugging in the pi to power and mini hdmi, it now says no controllers found.

I've googled around and my head is absolutely fried! I have no keyboard that would plug in, so I found that that's called a headless setup.

So to try the headless setup I put in the wpa_supplicant.conf file with the network and password, and put in a file called SSH

I booted up again and nothing comes up, even when I went on LANscan (I'm on a mac) it didn't find it :(

Can anyone help me get the pi on wifi so I can access it?

PLUS,
From there how do I get it to recognise the pcb as a controller, I've downloaded the retrogame.c would I be right to put that in the root (which is the /boot)

Thank you so much!
Did you follow this guide?
viewtopic.php?t=57

if so, you need to do more than move the retrogame.c file to the pi. Follow all the instructions there and it will work. But you will need a keyboard, or some how to SSH into the pi, using the headless set up should work....Not sure why it isn't working.

I'm not at home at the moment. But I can send you an image (google drive) with the controls all set up using that guide later today. The image is for a 16gb sd card, but all zipped up it will be way smaller, easy to download. If you send me your SSID and password I can get that set up in the image too. I'm working on a GBZ right now, and have already got all the GPIO controls working on it following the guide I linked. So if you soldered via that same guide it will be as simple as burning my image, the image contains all GPIO controls set up, SSH is enabled, increased command line text, rxbrad theme, and gameboy zero splash screen.
current progressShow

cturts

Post by cturts » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:08 pm

rodocop wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:02 am

viewtopic.php?t=57
current progressShow
Dude, you are literally the most helpful person in the world right now!! I didn't know how to delete a post but I actually found a place that sold OTG usb cables and got it sorted, found out how to SSH and followed that guide, haha I'm 27 years old and was almost jumping around when my controls worked haha!

Still waiting for my gearbest TFT that you recommended so in the meantime I'm just plugging into the mini HDMI :D

Thanks man!

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:56 pm

cturts wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:08 pm
rodocop wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:02 am

viewtopic.php?t=57
current progressShow
Dude, you are literally the most helpful person in the world right now!! I didn't know how to delete a post but I actually found a place that sold OTG usb cables and got it sorted, found out how to SSH and followed that guide, haha I'm 27 years old and was almost jumping around when my controls worked haha!

Still waiting for my gearbest TFT that you recommended so in the meantime I'm just plugging into the mini HDMI :D

Thanks man!
Hey. Perfect. Glad to help!