[solved]Cant find Boot folder, I dont have permission to modify sshd_config, Permision denied!!how to make a new system

Having trouble with your GBZ build? Ask your questions here!
HoolyHoo

Re: Cant find Boot folder, I dont have permission to modify the sshd_config, Permision denied!!

Post by HoolyHoo » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:21 pm

Best practice is to not edit es_system.cfg in

Code: Select all

/etc/emulationstation
What you should have done is make a copy and have it reside in

/opt/retropie/configs/all/emulationstation
ES will always load the latter copy first. If you mess it up, it can be deleted and it will default to the original folder.

YaYa

Re: Cant find Boot folder, I dont have permission to modify the sshd_config, Permision denied!!

Post by YaYa » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:39 pm

Thanks for pointing this HoolyHoo. I was concentrated on guiding him trough commands and i didn’t notice he was working and on the not recommended way. Even if this will work, better to work on the config folder...
Follow me on instagram Image

HoolyHoo

Post by HoolyHoo » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:49 pm

YaYa wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:39 pm
Thanks for pointing this HoolyHoo. I was concentrated on guiding him trough commands and i didn’t notice he was working and on the not recommended way. Even if this will work, better to work on the config folder...
Yes, the issue with working on the /etc folder is that it will get rewritten whenever Retropie is updated and all those changes will be lost plus, as he has experienced, there is no backup if it gets unusable. ;)

Mario.Semiglia

Post by Mario.Semiglia » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:15 pm

Sorry, you are right about the children,
so, this is what ive done

<system>
    <name>SFM</name>
    <fullname>Super Famicom</fullname>
    <path>/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/SFM</path>
    <extension>.bin .smc .sfc .fig .swc .mgd .zip . BIN .SMC .SFC .FIG .SWC .MGD .ZIP</extension>
    <command>/opt/retropie/supplementary/runcommand/runcommand.sh 0 _SYS_ SFM %ROM%</command>
    <Platform>snes</platform>
    <theme>SFM</theme>
  </system>
HoolyHoo thanks for pointing that out, I could get to the es_config file and delete what I have done so the System is working again. The only thing that I do not know is how to make the Super Famicom system work.

Thanks for the help
Last edited by Mario.Semiglia on Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:17 pm

The P of platform... all tags lower case !

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:19 pm

Also, the opening system and closing system are not aligned... should be with 0 space before, like the other systems. False, the systems are bracketed by the systemList tag, so they are one tab right.

And you can replace /home/pi with ~ easier to read

~ is the users home directory

Mario.Semiglia

Post by Mario.Semiglia » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:12 am

Hallo guys, I have news...
after reading all the coments and the tutorial i modified the es_system.cfg and copied to the following directory using the command:

sudo cp /etc/emulationstation/es_systems.cfg /opt/retropie/configs/all/emulationstation/es_systems.cfg.
I also copied the snes system so you can compare it

<system>
    <name>snes</name>
    <fullname>Super Nintendo</fullname>
    <path>/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/snes</path>
    <extension>.bin .smc .sfc .fig .swc .mgd .zip .BIN .SMC .SFC .FIG .SWC .MGD .ZIP</extension>
    <command>/opt/retropie/supplementary/runcommand/runcommand.sh 0 _SYS_ snes %ROM%</command>
    <platform>snes</platform>
    <theme>snes</theme>
  </system>
  <system>
    <name>sfm</name>
    <fullname>Super Famicom</fullname>
    <path>/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/sfm</path>
    <extension>.bin .smc .sfc .fig .swc .mgd .zip .BIN .SMC .SFC .FIG .SWC .MGD .ZIP</extension>
    <command>/opt/retropie/supplementary/runcommand/runcommand.sh 0 _SYS_ sfm %ROM%</command>
    <platform>snes</theme>
    <theme>sfm</theme>
  </system>
my opinion is that it looks prety ok :D so i reboot the system, which works without problem but the sfm (Super Famicom folder) is not there.
So I went to trouble shooting
After making changes to your custom es_systems.cfg file, if EmulationStation fails to load or your system does not appear then check the EmulationStation log at

/opt/retropie/configs/all/emulationstation/es_log.txt
for any errors.
and i got this:

lvl1: 	Error - folder with path ""/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/sfm"" is not a directory!
lvl2: 	Parsing XML file "/home/pi/.emulationstation/gamelists/sfm/gamelist.xml"...
lvl1: 	System "sfm" has no games! Ignoring it.

so I made the directory myself using the command

mkdir sfm
on the folder ~/RetroPie/roms and thow a game on it, after reboot, the system apeared on my GBZ and with its game list, but he game wasnt working

lvl2: 	Parsing XML file"/home/pi/.emulationstation/gamelists/sfm/gamelist.xml"...
lvl2: 	Attempting to launch game...
lvl2: 		/opt/retropie/supplementary/runcommand/runcommand.sh 0 _SYS_ sfm /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/sfm/Umihara\ Kawase\ \(J\).smc
lvl1: 	...launch terminated with nonzero exit code 256!
so I changed the line

<command>/opt/retropie/supplementary/runcommand/runcommand.sh 0 _SYS_ sfm %ROM%</command>
for this one

<command>/opt/retropie/supplementary/runcommand/runcommand.sh 0 _SYS_ snes %ROM%</command>

now everything works fine and its all thanks to your help, thanks again and hope this post is usefull for someone else as well :mrgreen:

Thanks again

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:16 am

glad to hear it's now working !
Please change the topic's title to add [solved] to help future people

YaYa

Re: [solved]Cant find Boot folder, I dont have permission to modify sshd_config, Permision denied!!how to make a new sys

Post by YaYa » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:18 am

By the way, congratulation on your self troubleshooting, you did it like a chief ;)

Mario.Semiglia

Re: [solved]Cant find Boot folder, I dont have permission to modify sshd_config, Permision denied!!how to make a new sys

Post by Mario.Semiglia » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:17 am

Thanks for the compliment :D

little update, after having the system created, and you want to add some artwork, you wanna copy your folder themes from

etc/emulationstation
to

opt/retropie/configs/all/emulationstation
with the comand

sudo cp -R * themes /etc/emulationstation/ /opt/retropie/configs/all/emulationstation/
like this you will have a copy of the folder in which you can work without the necesity of masing arrownd with your main themes folder and your work would not get lost when you update your system :mrgreen: