All in One PCB Support Thread

dongilles

Re: All in One PCB Support Thread

Post by dongilles » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:59 am

Helder wrote:
dongilles wrote:
Helder wrote:I guess you didn't follow the guides people post very well since I see that you have the resistors you added going to the Speaker - when it should go to the Speaker+. Also those ugly solder blobs on the PWM pads could be a problem, you didn't burn or rip one of those pads did you?
Hey helder, thanks for the reply!
I tried both + and- because someone here said changing it could help. Changes it to the speaker +.

Also the PMW pad is fine. Bad soldering :(. Fixed it up now.
Sadly the problems are the same.

Do you perhaps have some more tips?
If none of the pads or traces are burned or ripped off and the headphone jack is soldered on properly you should have sound coming from the headphone as long as the config.txt is correct. I would try a fresh Retropie install and manually edit the config.txt for the PWM Audio as a last resort.

How are you powering all of this? I don't see a power boost nor do I see a battery, are you powering everything off of the Pi?
I do get sound from the headphones, but there is a lot of static. I do not get sound from the speaker.
I will try a fresh install tonight.

I am powering the board it with a powerbooster, but I disconnected it for the photo (I connect it with the orange USB cable)

BenOfTheNorth

Post by BenOfTheNorth » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:46 pm

Hey guys, I have a question RE video noise/interference. I have the board wired up in a normal way but I'm getting a fair bit of interference on the display - is there a common fix for this? Is there a best practice for shielding the video cable at all? I tried powering the display right from the power boost instead of the power strip on the board and had the same problem, so I know the issue isn't directly with that...

Back when I used separate components instead of the AIO I never really had noise so I know the screens board is okay. Would love any advice.

Is it possible that the PWM pads on the board are just too close to the ribbon for the screen?

ta!

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:41 pm

BenOfTheNorth wrote:Hey guys, I have a question RE video noise/interference. I have the board wired up in a normal way but I'm getting a fair bit of interference on the display - is there a common fix for this? Is there a best practice for shielding the video cable at all? I tried powering the display right from the power boost instead of the power strip on the board and had the same problem, so I know the issue isn't directly with that...

Back when I used separate components instead of the AIO I never really had noise so I know the screens board is okay. Would love any advice.

Is it possible that the PWM pads on the board are just too close to the ribbon for the screen?

ta!
Post pictures of your wiring. Try the screen connected and powered by the Pi itself and nothing else connected to see if it still has interference.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

oxy93n

Post by oxy93n » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:15 am

for all with static noise do it like me i postet some sites ago.

Twist a cable around pwm1 cable and 1 around the pwm0 cable.
this shielding cables go to One GND spot on Helders AIO Powerstrip and the other side to one of the Rasberry Pi GND Spot on GPIO Pins. and u will never have any static sound.

I have also done it with the 5 cabels of the volume Wheel like the PWM Cable

and i added to config.txt

Code: Select all

dtoverlay=pwm-2chan,pin=18,func=2,pin2=13,func2=4 disable_audio_dither=1
it helps me alot with the cut sounds when i had 100% percent at volume inside retropie. with all that changes i have 0 static sound and 0 cut sound at 100% volume.

I also added the Visaton BF 32 speaker because it can handle 3W RMS 8 Ohms. Most of you use some 1/2W or 1W speaker but as i know the Amplifier produce 2Watt? right? so maybe this 1/2W or 1W speaker cant handle the Amplifier Output and that produce this cut sounds when 100%?

thief122

Post by thief122 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:44 am

Helder, about fixing the sound problem by replacing the SMD resistors R15 and R16 on the AIO OR add on 2 resistors on top. Which one you recommand?

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:28 am

Forgive me for being stupid, but does it matter from which side you solder the wires? Some seem to come from underneath and solder on the front (the one with the visible POT/Speaker pads) whilst others go through this side and solder underneath.

travazz

Post by travazz » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:58 am

Getting ready to start my first GBZ. So I have a few questions. What gauge wire do I need to use? Also I noticed all the picture diagrams are gone. Is there a place I can see these diagrams again? I also have a PowerBoost Safe ShutOff. Can anyone point me in the right direction on where I can wire all of this up correctly? Sorry for all the questions, and thank you in advance for all the help.

Cellsenshi

Post by Cellsenshi » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:20 am

Well I'm also trying to get audio working on my all in one V2.2.
I've update my config.txt with the following line : dtoverlay=pwm-2chan,pin=18,func=2,pin2=13,func2=4

So here is the result :
Sound is working very weak on the speaker (a Nintendo DS lite speaker), the volume wheel does not seems to work properly, sound is still the same.
Sound is working very loud with some scratches using an earphone but volume wheel still not working.

I've read carefully this thread but since english is no my mother tongue, I feel a little bit confused and I don't want to make a misake on my board. Sorry if it has been asked before.

So if I replace the 4 resistors (R15, R16, R17, R18) on the GBZ all in one V2.2 board with four 100ohms resistors, do you think my problem should be solved ?
Must I modify some other things to get a good sound on my board ?

Many thanks for your help ! :)

oxy93n

Post by oxy93n » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:31 am

First Solder the Volume wheel new that it works. after that when it not help try other things. had the same on first solder, volume wheel was not working so i switched the order of the cables and it worked :D

and best mod for good sound use a speaker with a high Sensitivity / SPL at high Impendance. Best is 8 Ohm or 4 Ohm when Amplifier can handle 4 Ohm
My Visaton BF 32 have 78dB @1W/1Meter and can handle 2 or 3 Watt RMS @8 Ohm what i think is best for the 2 Watt Amplifier from helders AIO.

144TECH

Post by 144TECH » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:53 am

Mischief wrote:Here is the issue I have always had with the sound, the video I recorded makes it sound louder than it actually is I already changed the resistors to 10ohm SMD (previous post way back) which helped however the headphones are still a lot louder than the speaker.

https://youtu.be/O3kCdGHYgnY

Now as you can hear the high tones cut out all the time to solve this the volume has to be turned down to below half way making it almost impossible to hear at all weird thing is that the issue is not present when using headphones??? would this be the amp or the speaker causing this?

Would add some masking tape over that flatcable of the screen, this wont last long trust me, anyway that's a weird place for the pi zero lol :mrgreen:
* Very Rare * GBZ 640x480 v3 Stock Looks 6000MAH
http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=4863