All in One PCB Support Thread

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Re: All in One PCB Support Thread

Post by Helder » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:50 pm

144TECH wrote:@ Helder

I've been testing and testing here like a $%#$@#
It works gamepad detected, settings saved, ok.
Now when i add ( dtoverlay=pwm-2chan,pin=18,func=2,pin2=13,func2=4
disable_audio_dither=1) to the config, thus activating the pwm, and getting input on the PAM chip, it says NO GAMEPAD detected, when removing that what i've added to the config, it starts up and gamepad works.
Could this be that the PAM dragged away this power ? thus leaving not enough energy for everything?
But opposite from this, when i use the cmd and config from the first post it works,(audio is clear no hissing crackling or interference!! :mrgreen: ) but sometimes when switching the gbz on it says no gamepad detected... not everytime but it's frustrating i tell you.
I tried this because the cfg and cmd from the first post, makes it boot slower, showing alot more text, and i see LOGIN evertime, it does autologin and goes ahead but i just want to make a clean bootup with some pictures or black screen in between, also the standard retropie joystick image dissapeared.
please gimme some feedback :mrgreen:

P.s for others, wiggling with the audio wire(S) can make the pi crash, or reboot and messup the settings. beware
Using another monitor, or adapters will cause a hum from the wall contact, this is not the case when you use a battery

Edit, for as long as there's no solution i'm fine with the cmd and cfg from he first post, it just works fine.

@ Tomatoflames, thanks for pm

your wiring seems to be ok.. but i notice that your 5v wires are hanging over the audio wires this causes the power to interfere with the speaker wires, try regular speaker wire wich is insulated and isolated (just one wire with metal shielding around in insulated wire)
But you really have to get away from the power wires. and keep everything as short as possible.
Also if your powerboost is whistling, place a piece of tape ontop of it this keeps the thing from whistling, mine did too.
It worked for me and many others but it could be the Retropie version. Version 4.02 seems the most stable especially with controllers not being recognized and you could also try @SotaSystem's controller code instead of mine. Oh and the PAM chip works well below 3v so I doubt that is the issue (what is your powerboost board?)
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

144TECH

Post by 144TECH » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:40 pm

Ok, did a fresh image, cmd and cfg it works (retropie 4.1) but now i have the same as that guy, tomatoflames (few posts above) first i could get a working controller but no sound, but now i have both working, just by copying the cmd and cfg to a fresh image. but lots of clicking and whistling especially the headphone. but in rough lines everything works, so what was going on you name it.. now im going to add a extra audio filtering and see what it brings. the version of retropie you said, i couldn't find it.. oh and the powerboost is a powerboost 1000, wich offcourse s*cks v.s a 1000c i think.. but i wanted to get EVERYTHING perfect before i put it in the gb shell. all the time i see ppl glueing the lcd in and the rest, and later hanging above it with the soldering iron (this way you can messup the shell by melting or whatever) so, we will see. tomorrow im going to look for a pb 1000c if you advise it so it be, i wanted to change it anyway. your board seems to be fine nothing wrong with that. first i thought the pcb was bent during shipping, so for that reason i've gone over it with the hot air iron, no solder or anything. but that was just in case a leg was snapped loose or something but i think it was ok all the time, so sorry for that i just got confused lol.. anyway, let me know what your thoughts are. thank you very much.

Greets

edit : got 4.0.2 now, i'll give it a shot :roll:
* Very Rare * GBZ 640x480 v3 Stock Looks 6000MAH
http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=4863

144TECH

Post by 144TECH » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:39 pm

okay. i give up.

Tried retropie 3.8 , 4.02 , and 4.1.
This is what happens : fresh image, it boots up into retropie, 1 gamepad detected, installed the buttons, ok.
No sound at this moment because of the cfg/cmd.
Sd card out, copied cmd and cfg. boots up into retropie, does not say anything from the gamepad it just boots up into retropie, when pressing a button... nothing, nothing.
Now again formatted the sd, fresh image, but before we stuffed the sd in we first copied cfg and cmd.
Boots up, automatically exits into pi@retropie it just exits... nothing.

Same for all versions, now what the hell am i doing wrong, at one point it just worked but after switching it on and off it didnt work at all.. really shoot me.. i dont know it anymore. been busy for like 12hours, gonna quit for now.
im pretty pissed off now, nothing seems to work. oh and when it boots up and enters retropie and controller is found(not asking for controller calibration) i can hear the sound being activated, but when pressing keys.. nothing...
Not the 2 together ... aargh

think im going to quit this project or give up
This drives me crazy. if you can bring me the solution you're the man.
P.s i really like to see someone else with this setup and having it all working, haven't seen anyone yet !

It works, but only with no sound, not both sound +controls and when having sound the controls dont react(but they are recognized)
Last edited by 144TECH on Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

xfcrowman

Post by xfcrowman » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:32 am

@Helder I've got everything working now, thanks to your help. I bought some shielded wire and used it for the PWM0 and 1 connections. This change, in combination with the new resistors did the trick.

The sound out of the speaker and headphone are good and consistent, just like my first GBZ build. GBZ number 2 is now complete!

Thanks again :)

Tomatoflames

Post by Tomatoflames » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:51 am

xfcrowman wrote:@Helder I've got everything working now, thanks to your help. I bought some shielded wire and used it for the PWM0 and 1 connections. This change, in combination with the new resistors did the trick.

The sound out of the speaker and headphone are good and consistent, just like my first GBZ build. GBZ number 2 is now complete!

Thanks again :)
Hi Xfcrowman - Do you mind sharing a picture that shows the final layout of your wiring and resistors in the working configuration? Thanks!

144TECH

Post by 144TECH » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:13 am

I like to see that too, or a video from it.

xfcrowman

Post by xfcrowman » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:49 am

144TECH wrote:I like to see that too, or a video from it.
I'm at work now, but I did take a photo of the GBZ before closing it up last night. You can't see the resistors well (they're right on top of the speaker, unfortunately), but the mini-board I made was pretty basic.

I soldered the two resistors to the perfboard - one side of the resistor went to R15 or R16. I used solder to combine the other two sides, and then ran a wire from there to "Speaker -". Hopefully this makes sense. I will try to take another photo later tonight, but then I will be giving the GBZ to my brother-in-law: it's a gift from my sister to him :)
Attachments
IMG_1419.jpg
IMG_1419.jpg (2.59 MiB) Viewed 7449 times

144TECH

Post by 144TECH » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:17 am

ok, now a video with clear crisp sound and fully working controls.
Edit: until i rebooted haha : :cry: :(
Last edited by 144TECH on Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tomatoflames

Post by Tomatoflames » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:44 pm

xfcrowman wrote:
144TECH wrote:I like to see that too, or a video from it.
I'm at work now, but I did take a photo of the GBZ before closing it up last night. You can't see the resistors well (they're right on top of the speaker, unfortunately), but the mini-board I made was pretty basic.

I soldered the two resistors to the perfboard - one side of the resistor went to R15 or R16. I used solder to combine the other two sides, and then ran a wire from there to "Speaker -". Hopefully this makes sense. I will try to take another photo later tonight, but then I will be giving the GBZ to my brother-in-law: it's a gift from my sister to him :)
Makes sense. I'll give it a shot and report on how it works out.

Also, I noticed your pic shows power supply to the Pi comes from the row of power pads at very bottom of the AIO. Is there a benefit to using those pads instead of how it's shown on Helders wiring diagram, using the pads further up?

Thanks

144TECH

Post by 144TECH » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:00 pm

@Helder

I've dissasembled everything, and cleaned the pads.
What i've done now is, providing the board with 5volts, and connected it to my PC.
It says ''usb device found'' and then it says ''unknown device''
Ok it says now usb composite generic 2.0 hub or something, but says the hardware meight not working click here blablabl
I think it's in the hub, like i said 2 weeks ago, from there till now the same results.
I'm out of options.
anyway button keypad workss fine (teensy) and the pam works too.. thats what i know (on the zero)
but still can't connect keyboard, or copy roms or anything, maybe the pi is dead or something, if it isnt this
http://pho.to/Aap3a
The chip you used, there's an issue working with pi zero 1.2 vs 1.3 i've read this (the pm i sent you) i used a pi zero 1.2, bought a 1.3 now new pi zero, this is my last attempt. waiting for a useable answer from you. thanks
Last edited by 144TECH on Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.