All in One PCB Support Thread

jermzz

Re: All in One PCB Support Thread

Post by jermzz » Sun May 14, 2017 3:18 pm

Helder wrote:
Sun May 14, 2017 10:47 am
Maybe a bad ground somewhere? are all GND points going to the AIO powerstrip area? Maybe use a filter cap like 10uf between one of the 5V and GND points on the usb hub solder holes like the one you are using as an external usb connector you plugged the keyboard in. Put the positive side of the cap (usually the one WITHOUT the WHITE Stripe) to 5V and the White stripe aka the negative to GND.

What power boost board are you using in the build? has it differed from previous builds?
All the builds are identical except for the screen. The other ones I used the adafruit, this one I used a gearbest. All using owerboost 1000c

All the grounds except the L-R ground and the ground to the USB connector go to the hub, I can switch those and see if it makes a difference.

I just tried the 10 uF and it made no differences. Reference picture:

EDIT: I almo moved all the grounds to the power strip and there's still the slight stutter. Still goes away when keyboard is plugged in. Or another controller etc.
Attachments
IMG_5230.JPG
IMG_5230.JPG (2.45 MiB) Viewed 8593 times

docholiday11x

Post by docholiday11x » Sun May 14, 2017 7:24 pm

blameblaine wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 10:07 pm
@helder

Actually after checking, I do show a 75R0 resistor to the right of my headphone jack. Hmmm, got any other suggestions?
We might have a similar problem. I have the same resistors and I'm getting audio skipping.

It goes away if I go into the mixer and turn down the db for retropie. But then the overall volume is just too low to enjoy, even in a quite room.

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Sun May 14, 2017 11:32 pm

jermzz wrote:
Sun May 14, 2017 3:18 pm
Helder wrote:
Maybe a bad ground somewhere? are all GND points going to the AIO powerstrip area? Maybe use a filter cap like 10uf between one of the 5V and GND points on the usb hub solder holes like the one you are using as an external usb connector you plugged the keyboard in. Put the positive side of the cap (usually the one WITHOUT the WHITE Stripe) to 5V and the White stripe aka the negative to GND.

What power boost board are you using in the build? has it differed from previous builds?
All the builds are identical except for the screen. The other ones I used the adafruit, this one I used a gearbest. All using owerboost 1000c

All the grounds except the L-R ground and the ground to the USB connector go to the hub, I can switch those and see if it makes a difference.

EDIT: I almo moved all the grounds to the power strip and there's still the slight stutter. Still goes away when keyboard is plugged in. Or another controller etc.

how have you got the pwm wires shielded (i know i keep going on about shielding)....

it looks like you just have a wire wrapped around the pwm wires, have you actually grounded them to the power strip (are they even grounded)

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Mon May 15, 2017 1:32 am

One thing to remember is the speaker you're using, how big and what is the power rating of it? If it's a small low power speaker you will get this behaviour. I tried a larger 8ohm 0.5w and a small one same specs and the sound quality is vastly different.

I can't really recommend any particular speaker but I've seen people use 1W laptop speakers that will give better output and less likely to do the clipping.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

jermzz

Post by jermzz » Mon May 15, 2017 8:58 am

VeteranGamer wrote:
Sun May 14, 2017 11:32 pm
jermzz wrote:
Sun May 14, 2017 3:18 pm
Helder wrote:

how have you got the pwm wires shielded (i know i keep going on about shielding)....

it looks like you just have a wire wrapped around the pwm wires, have you actually grounded them to the power strip (are they even grounded)

They are wrapped around the wire and soldered to their respective ends. One side to pi and one side to pwm pad.

Should they be grounded? Just one side, or both sides to the same pad?

jermzz

Post by jermzz » Mon May 15, 2017 9:03 am

Helder wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 1:32 am
One thing to remember is the speaker you're using, how big and what is the power rating of it? If it's a small low power speaker you will get this behaviour. I tried a larger 8ohm 0.5w and a small one same specs and the sound quality is vastly different.

I can't really recommend any particular speaker but I've seen people use 1W laptop speakers that will give better output and less likely to do the clipping.
I use the adafruit speaker which is 8ohm .5w. I also tried a stock gameboy speaker from a broken one I gutted with the same outcome. I will look into a different speaker, but again I've used the same parts for all the builds, so it seems something is different. I wish I could figure out why the USB fixes the problem. Maybe I should solder in another internal USB and stick a dongle in it. Hahaha.

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Mon May 15, 2017 9:49 am

jermzz wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 8:58 am

They are wrapped around the wire and soldered to their respective ends. One side to pi and one side to pwm pad.

so to ground it, i would have thought both ends would need to grounded (i could be wrong)

now, not to confuse things....

i actually have mine already shielded, and have one end of the ground going to the pi zero (as luckily there are ground points right next to each of the pwm points) my other end is going to a ground point on the board (not the power strip, but one of the spare usb hub points)

this is why i'm going to re-shield the wires (thinking grounding to the usb hub may be the issue for me, but yours isnt like that)

also the speaker i have states that its a 8ohm 2 watt speaker (this might not be the reality)

jermzz

Post by jermzz » Mon May 15, 2017 9:27 pm

VeteranGamer wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 9:49 am
jermzz wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 8:58 am

so to ground it, i would have thought both ends would need to grounded (i could be wrong)

now, not to confuse things....

i actually have mine already shielded, and have one end of the ground going to the pi zero (as luckily there are ground points right next to each of the pwm points) my other end is going to a ground point on the board (not the power strip, but one of the spare usb hub points)

this is why i'm going to re-shield the wires (thinking grounding to the usb hub may be the issue for me, but yours isnt like that)

also the speaker i have states that its a 8ohm 2 watt speaker (this might not be the reality)

I honestly don't think it's the pwm wires. When I run USB audio directly to the pot, it still has the problem. Bypassing the pwm all together. It's somewhere between the pots and the speaker. Swapping to the 75ohm resistors did wonders, it's just not *perfect*

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Mon May 15, 2017 11:00 pm

jermzz wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 9:27 pm

I honestly don't think it's the pwm wires. When I run USB audio directly to the pot, it still has the problem. Bypassing the pwm all together. It's somewhere between the pots and the speaker. Swapping to the 75ohm resistors did wonders, it's just not *perfect*
then it may well be the speaker....

who knows....

coopman

Post by coopman » Wed May 17, 2017 11:48 am

Does anyone know the pinout for the surface mount audio jack that was included with the latest AIO? I'm using a usb audio card and want to bypass the board and wire directly into it.