New members, introduce yourself!

Talk about anything and everything... Just be nice.
D4ddy-LiLd4rk

Re: New members, introduce yourself!

Post by D4ddy-LiLd4rk » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:36 am

Hey guys,

first of all I am very thankful for this great community! The forum is a real life saver!

So now just a few lines about myself...

My name is Daniel, I'm 27 years old and I'm form germany. I'm an Application Developer specialized on an ERP-System called AP+. I love geeky stuff and loved the idea of making my own Game Boy Zero since I had the original Game Boy when I was a kid. I'm really excited about this project, 'cause it feels so nice and refreshing. Well in my spare time I develop some Android Apps (sounds much better then it is :D ), play some video games. I do love music in all it's ways but mostly prefer Rock and Metal.

Wanna know more? Just leave me a message ;)

winnetouch

Post by winnetouch » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:38 am

Hy guys!

My name is Viktor. I'm a hobbyist and keen to try anything new, especially if I have something to show for it afterwards :). I am a graphic designer for UI and UX, as well as run of the mill material (posters, fliers, logos, etc.).

My first memory of video gaming is with my cousin and his original Gameboy. Soon enough I got my own and I've been a Nintendo nerd ever since even if I never owned anything pass the Super Nintendo :P. As soon as I found out about retropie I thought it would be a neat project for a hand held but I didn't know how to get at it. Luckily after a while the pi 0 was released and I found Wermy's tutorials on youtube. I slowly gathered parts and because I can only work on the project during the weekend, progress is VERY slow. But I'm getting there :).

YeahTHATchucK

Post by YeahTHATchucK » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:40 pm

Chuck, here. I've been out of the electronics hobby for a long time, but receiving a quad drone and soldering iron for Christmas is pushing me back into it.

I guess my interest in electronics as a kid was in creating devices for use in play, such as infrared trip wires, door alarms, flashlights, and other spy gear. This morphed into an interest in software when my dad brought home our first computer (that means I'm old, I think), and that interest carried through college and into my career designing and developing video games.

Interestingly, the project I'm diving back into electronics with is the Game Boy Zero, which for me is nostalgic and almost sort of maybe counts as research. I plan to spend an irresponsible amount of time enjoying the end product of this endeavor.

codeman0624

Post by codeman0624 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:35 am

Hi Everyone,

I just found this new sub-forum, so I figured I'd introduce myself too!

My name is Cody (codeman is a nickname, not a reference to coding ability!) I'm an electrical engineer by trade, so I tend to make my projects a little more involved than most. I'm working on finishing a Wii U gamepad build, somewhat inspired by bajokazooie. But I'm building all custom circuit boards (battery charger, power circuitry, USB audio, custom microcontroller for the USB gamepad) to try to fit everything in, including as big a battery as possible.

I've been lurking around here for a while, hopefully I can be some help to others when I finally finish mine!

OldSchooler

Post by OldSchooler » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:20 pm

Hi Everyone!

I'm in my 40's so I was lucky enough to pretty much witness the birth of arcades and video games. I own a couple full-sized arcade games (Donkey Kong, Pac-Man, QBert) and some consoles from my youth(Colecovision, Atari 800, NES).

I'm here to learn how to build a custom Gameboy running only MAME, NES and older.

fraggle

Post by fraggle » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:25 am

Hey,

Figured I'd say hi here as I've been posting on a few threads.

My name is Fraser and I live in the UK. I work as a software developer mainly in nodejs these days but I have previously worked in c, c++ and done quite a lot of work with embedded systems. I first learnt BASIC, then ZX81 assembly, on a spectrum back in the early 1980's and have been tinkering and playing with hardware and software for the last 28 years.

Found wermy's guide actually after having the idea of retrofitting a broken DMG-01 I had kicking around...when I started Googling the topic and found this site I was like...oh not just me then! :)

I really like this community, it seems like everyone has a passion for retro gaming and everyone I have dealt with has been polite, honest and very friendly.

This is what the internet is for.

F

RetroRocket

Post by RetroRocket » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:37 pm

Greetings, I'm Joseph. I am an industrial designer in Washington state, USA. I have zero background in electronics, but can make just about anything physically out of wood, metal, polymers, etc. I just finished my masters degree and am trying to break into the outdoor gear industry.

The original Gameboy was my first video game console, Super Mario Land 2 my first game, received on my fifth birthday. I have the fondest of memories of that grey brick (still have and never will sell), and was so brought to wermy's original build.
SpoilerShow
DSC_0003.JPG
DSC_0003.JPG (7.27 MiB) Viewed 7343 times
I have a great deal to learn, and am utterly humbled by the knowledge and experience I've already witnessed in my short time exploring the forums. My hat's off to you gents, and I hope I'll be able to contribute to future builds. Let me know if you ever need something fabricated and don't quite know how to do it!

JohnTheKing

Post by JohnTheKing » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:55 am

Hello!

My name is John. I am from Arizona, and I work for a dual diagnosis mental health and substance abuse facility doing Utilization Review (I sit behind a computer and look busy, mostly reading forums like this and watching YouTube videos).

I have always loved this kind of stuff but have never really gotten too far into it, until now. I stumbled across wermy's guide to the Gameboy Zero after owning a RasPi3 for a while and I am now hooked on this. I have no formal education in computers or any kind of electronics so I suppose this is all "new" to me.I have owned different systems all my life but due to some unforeseen struggles in my life I let them go. I kick myself every time I think about how stupid I was for letting them go. But today, is a great day because we have all this super fun cool shit that will do almost anything we can imagine.

I have started getting parts together for my own build and plan to make a few of them. I will post my own guide to help others and hopefully encourage some complete beginners like myself to embark on this mission.

I am truly amazed at the open source community and how helpful everyone is. This website and forum is a wonderful example of something great produced by many talented individuals.

I look forward to sharing some experiences with all of you!

John

Epictetus

Post by Epictetus » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:28 am

Hi everyone!!

I've been working the software side of electronics since the dinosaurs roamed the earth, but I'm relatively new to the hardware side of all this. I went to college for programming, but my career ended up in security, which is pretty far removed from programming. I'll prob a my be lurking a lot the next month or two while I work on my soldering skills. After that you'll probably see some of my takes on projects pop up. Maybe even an experiment or two. (Hopefully)

RarinImp

Post by RarinImp » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:19 am

Firstly, this forum is ah-maz-ing... my name is Mike, been lurking about 2 weeks...registered a few days ago. Been trying to teach myself about electronics and pi based toys for a few weeks now. Was inspired when I stumbled across wermy's youtube vid on his gbz build. I'm looking at doing a game gear pi3 for my first "real" project. Looking forward to pestering all the guys who have way more knowledge about all of this than me :lol: