New members, introduce yourself!

Talk about anything and everything... Just be nice.
BigOlTexasBoy

Re: New members, introduce yourself!

Post by BigOlTexasBoy » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:23 pm

I'm BigOlTexasBoy (Steven). The name is literal. I work in a trophy & engraving shop & haven't touched a soldering iron since college 16 years ago except for the one time I reconnected the power cord on my wife's hairdryer. I have a Pi3 that I use as a retro gaming console and thought it would've cool to have a handheld device. That's when I stumbled across an article on wermy's creation and had to make one. I am blown away by the things people come up with in this community. I won't be making any contributions to that, but I will have lots of dumb questions to ask.

johweb

Post by johweb » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:31 pm

Hi everyone.
I'm Johann from France, known on forums as johweb.
I've been reading many tutorials and now, I'm trying my own GBZ. Received some pieces from UK, USA, France. Waiting for other pieces from China... It's hard to wait ! :D
Thank's for everyone helping on this forum, I've seen really nice mods !

suddl

Post by suddl » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:13 pm

hi, i am kim (male) from germany. 30 years young and work for the "deutsche telekom". a few days ago i stumbled on wemsy youtube gbz guides. now i want to make (like everyone else i guess ^^) my own version. cant wait for it.

Lottel

Post by Lottel » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:28 am

Hello everyone. I've been browsing for a while but since most of my parts are now in, I thought I should say hi before starting to work.

I'm a new stay-at-home dad with a lot of free time and thought I could waste some of it on this project.

ncc74656m

Post by ncc74656m » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:49 pm

Hi all, I'm Kathryn (NCC-74656 anyone?) from New York! (Yeah, I'm supposed to be from Indiana with a name and a username like that, but hey, even the Captain wasn't perfect!)

I came here like so many from the hype about Wermy's GBZ, because like many others, I had the same idea as soon as I saw the Pi Zero, but he beat me to it before I even got my hands on a Pi Zero, and he made all the hard work happen that I didn't have the skill to get to myself. Moreover, you all went and made that even easier, so thank you all for designing all the custom parts i'm now ordering to build my own GBZ.

I have some ideas up my sleeve to try to make my own unique GBZ, and as soon as I get started on it, I'll post a build log for you all to (hopefully) enjoy!

CaptainDurden

Post by CaptainDurden » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:38 am

hey, i'm max from germany, currently living in stockholm, sweden.

stumbled onto wermy's build via kotaku or engadget or some other dreadful clickbait place
like that and was hooked instantly. figuring that the soldering part is above my skill set i proceeded
to populate a dedicated emulation hard drive on my pc instead. after 2 months i had 10.000 roms and 35 working systems
integrated in a neat front-end (i use launchbox) couch-usable with 2 DS3 controllers yet i somehow still wasn't satisfied.
so i checked out this place again, saw helder's and kite's custom pcb's and figured "now i can maybe actually try this".
i think i sourced every part save for the battery by now, so right now i'm mainly reading up on stuff and playing the waiting game.

as soon as there is stuff to see i will start a build log.

if there's any swedes/ scandees that have trouble finding parts/ tools, pm me.
Helder wrote:People spend so much time in asking questions and no time looking for an answer that is available.

PolletjeNL

Post by PolletjeNL » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:09 am

So just found this topic, better introduce myself since I've been posting my build here for some time now.

Hi I'm Paul 34 years old, IT-engineer for a living, and interested in retro-gaming, electronics, programming and flight-simulation.

My first console was a Atari 7800, followed by a NES. Before these we had a Commodore 64 with the good old cassette-player. Following all these my dad bought a pc (286) which we used for a long time. This introduced me into the IT business.

As many of you, I became interested in building a gameboy zero after seeing Wermy build one on Youtube. In the past I build myself a 2 player mame arcade-cabinet, running on a RPI2 with recalbox. My wife and I still use the arcade-cabinet daily to play some of the good oldies. I still think all those modern games still can't beat retro-gameplay.

Sonicstriker

Post by Sonicstriker » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:50 am

Hello everyone,

I’m Perrin from the Netherlands. I found this website through youtube, i thought the GBZ was such a cool project, i decides to try it myself.
I’m a n00b regarding all of the modding stuff. But i have some (very little haha) experience using a raspberry pi and Linux.
I’m going to start to collect all the pieces needed to build my own GBZ, and i just ordered a Pi zero.

I hope i can learn a lot from you guys as well as have some fun of cours ;)

BadBert

Post by BadBert » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:27 am

Sonicstriker wrote:Hello everyone,

I’m Perrin from the Netherlands. I found this website through youtube, i thought the GBZ was such a cool project, i decides to try it myself.
I’m a n00b regarding all of the modding stuff. But i have some (very little haha) experience using a raspberry pi and Linux.
I’m going to start to collect all the pieces needed to build my own GBZ, and i just ordered a Pi zero.

I hope i can learn a lot from you guys as well as have some fun of cours ;)
I dont know what kind of build you are going to do, but i have some small stuff extra, like the tactile switches, volume wheel, power switch...
check my topic, and send me a pm :)
mine is almost done and tested :D
My first GBZ build -=HERE=- -> Became a gift to my little brother!
My 2nd GBZ build -=WIP HERE=- -> going with HDMI!

DoubleFlush

Post by DoubleFlush » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:19 pm

Hi!

I'm DoubleFlush (Peder) from Norway.

I, as many others, have discovered the world of pi-boys through Wermy's delightful youtube videos, and want to take a step towards making something myself. I'm an engineer in the making, but haven't really done any electronics yet. My field of studies is programming. However, i have a dad who have dabbled in electronics, and an intense curiosity and will to learn, so i'm sure i'll do fine.

I am going to be asking a lot of silly questions, so please bear with me!
Everything put together sooner or later falls apart.