What parts could we make?

Need help with or have a question about your 3d printer? Ask it here!
kitsch-bent

Re: What parts could we make?

Post by kitsch-bent » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:16 pm

wermy wrote:
Ganreizu wrote: Oooooo okay. It was hard to describe what i wanted to do also so good that you thought of something. Not needing screws makes it really out of nowhere. o.O I was expecting to use epoxy or glue in the first place though haha

Kitsch-bent's are clear only but i'll hit him up and ask him for red and blue cartridge colors! There has to be serious demand for those...
well, ok I'll try and describe what I'm thinking: a few sort of hook-like things on the front side of the case across the top, and a few notches on the bottom half for them to hook into. So you would sort of hook the top part in and close it, then put the bottom screws in on the back. Does that make sense?

And I could swear KB used to carry colored cartridges... Care to weigh in @kitsch-bent?
got clear in the shop currently. used to have clear blue, clear orange, and clear in a different style shell, but compared to the new ones (which we're manufacturing) they were pieces o' crap. not worth trying to reorder. i'll get more colors later, but clear it is for now.

what colors would you all be most keen on getting?
its full of Game Boy Zero stuff!!! -----> -----> -----> http://store.kitsch-bent.com

(^_^) *(^_^)* (^_^) >*(^_^)*< (^_^) *(^_^)* (^_^)

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:19 pm

SidSilver wrote:Something like Cannikin's one? ;)
Maybe just a little bit stronger
[spoiler="Cannikin s"]
Cannikin wrote:Here's that hook mechanism I put together:

So there's a little square glued onto the front half that fits in the notch on the back half. It's better to make it NOT fit at first, then trim one side or the other so it has a nice tight fit.
[/spoiler]
Hey yeah! Similar to that.

Edit: And yeah, a 3d printed one could be much stronger.
ImageImageImageImage

Ganreizu

Post by Ganreizu » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:45 pm

wermy wrote:
SidSilver wrote:Something like Cannikin's one? ;)
Maybe just a little bit stronger
[spoiler="Cannikin s"]
Cannikin wrote:Here's that hook mechanism I put together:

So there's a little square glued onto the front half that fits in the notch on the back half. It's better to make it NOT fit at first, then trim one side or the other so it has a nice tight fit.
[/spoiler]
Hey yeah! Similar to that.

Edit: And yeah, a 3d printed one could be much stronger.
Oh yeah it was cannikin who did that not chiz, whoops.
kitsch-bent wrote:what colors would you all be most keen on getting?
I bought an original pokemon red cartridge with a scratched label that froze during gameplay so that i could have the red cartridge shell. I was going to buy a blue one eventually too just to have both but would rather not tear apart a working gen 1 pokemon cartridge. I'm confident people would eat up red and blue pokemon cartridge shells if you can make them.

Kilren

Post by Kilren » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:55 pm

Poke Red, Poke Blue, Black, and OEM Gray would cover almost anyone's wants I think.

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:19 pm

Kilren wrote:
Poke Red, Poke Blue, Black, and OEM Gray would cover almost anyone's wants I think.
Could be cool to have a raspberry pi purple one too. :D
ImageImageImageImage

Kilren

Post by Kilren » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:23 pm

wermy wrote:
Kilren wrote:
Could be cool to have a raspberry pi purple one too. :D
+1. That would be pretty cool.

A thought I had though, perhaps with a little bit of programming, you can use extra pins on the cartridge reader and use one of kitch's clear ones and add an LED or two. Now, you get whatever the hell you want!

edit: Simplest way to do that, I was thinking of adding my wifi dongle to a clear case in addition to the SD Card. It has blue LED's and doesn't take any programming. Only catch is it wouldn't be consistent blue of course.

RealNewDeal

Post by RealNewDeal » Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:54 pm

I might just #D print my case in dense durable plastics and smooth it out with high grit sandpaper. It would allow more space and easy opening and closing of the case.

skrapps914

Post by skrapps914 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:16 pm

replica dmg cases with 4 holes pre-drilled on the front, and pre-drilled LR buttons, button wells for x+y and a screen brace/bracket/slot for 3.5 inch screens built in, so the screen can fit in perfectly.

Fleder

Post by Fleder » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:53 am

wermy wrote:What else??
- How about something to hold the display protector in place, if you dremel'd away all the support
- The thickness exstension frame, that Robots mentioned was something i thought about, too
- Proper mounting for the shoulder buttons, if you use the ones form a SNES controller
- Buttons in different colours to match the case
- a case with custom sized display cutouts or completely new button arrangements
RealNewDeal wrote:I might just #D print my case in dense durable plastics and smooth it out with high grit sandpaper. It would allow more space and easy opening and closing of the case.
You can smooth ABS and PLA with acetone. Just soak towels or kitchen roll in acetone, pin them to the insides of a bucket and put it over your printed object for a few minutes. This will smooth out the plastics.

yousai

Post by yousai » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:41 am

Would it be possible to 3D-print the power toggle switch? I ordered a replacement button set off of ebay but all available colors were either very odd or off. I was hoping to get a plain black one but could only order a "dark green" one.
Fleder wrote:- a case with custom sized display cutouts or completely new button arrangements
Something like this?

https://github.com/Cristov9000/SuperGam ... /CaseFiles

I'm currently working with these cases and it's quite nice how tidy everything fits together.
The ability to have screwposts exactly where you need to mount something is great.