What parts could we make?

Need help with or have a question about your 3d printer? Ask it here!
nsqpdn

Re: What parts could we make?

Post by nsqpdn » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:48 am

SidSilver wrote:It would be great if someone can make the cartridge reader.... I think there would be a huge demand on it ! ;)
Because, when you do a Pi Zero without a real gameboy but just brand new parts, that the only thing you can't buy anywhere !
I hope this could help you. It needs a little trim to allow gb cartridge, but minimal.
https://www.dx.com/p/repair-parts-repla ... 2EjzskhXqB

SidSilver

Post by SidSilver » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:35 am

nsqpdn wrote:
SidSilver wrote:It would be great if someone can make the cartridge reader.... I think there would be a huge demand on it ! ;)
Because, when you do a Pi Zero without a real gameboy but just brand new parts, that the only thing you can't buy anywhere !
I hope this could help you. It needs a little trim to allow gb cartridge, but minimal.
https://www.dx.com/p/repair-parts-repla ... 2EjzskhXqB
Thanks, it can works indeed.

Fleder

Post by Fleder » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:48 am

I am planning to build some kind of custom SNES Gamepad with 4 shoulder buttons.
Is there someone around with a 3d printer from DE or EU that could print custom shoulder buttons for me?

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:35 am

Fleder wrote:I am planning to build some kind of custom SNES Gamepad with 4 shoulder buttons.
Is there someone around with a 3d printer from DE or EU that could print custom shoulder buttons for me?
Might want to move this into its own topic for more visibility. :)
ImageImageImageImage

Fleder

Post by Fleder » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:46 am

wermy wrote:Might want to move this into its own topic for more visibility. :)
Oh, it's not that important and i have a lot to do before i get to this project :)

karthikrr

Post by karthikrr » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:40 am

I've been lurking here for a while, but had not registered because I did not have a Pi Zero and could not get my hands on one. I finally did though a couple days ago and am excited to start this project. A lot more reading before I am ready to annoy forum elders with questions that I should not be asking, but before all that, I had one on 3d printing.

Somebody I know is setting up a 3d printing business and I am going to get a few of the brackets wermy designed made by him. I also don't have a Gameboy to scavenge, so thought I'd see how much printing a case that is perfect for the wermy design would cost, vs. buying one from china or a used gameboy on ebay. Googling for an stl file though gave me way too many options and I am unsure what is the right one to pick. I could of course take more time to figure it out, but I have to travel internationally in two weeks and would ideally like to get this made before I leave, so time is of the essence.

My questions:

1) Can somebody suggest the right search terms for google, so I can find an STL file for the original gameboy case that wermy started out with?

2) wermy, any plans of creating an STL that is perfectly customized for your design? If not, would you care to suggest some mods to be made on whatever STL I end up using? My friend can play with the file and tweak a few things for me.

In any case, LOVE your work and I look forward to more from you. Oh, this is also my first Rasp Pi ANYTHING, so quite excited to start this journey :)

In a few days, I will probably post on the other forums about using the first Raspberry Pi model that ever came out for this project. From what I can tell, it should have about the same power as the Pi Zero, so should work (I hooked it up to my computer monitor and it plays the games). But there should be a bunch of other design changes with all the other stuff. My plan is to build one with the Pi Zero, remaining faithful to wermy's guide and then to build a second one with the old Pi, this time figuring things out with the help of people on these forums.

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:25 am

karthikrr wrote:I've been lurking here for a while, but had not registered because I did not have a Pi Zero and could not get my hands on one. I finally did though a couple days ago and am excited to start this project. A lot more reading before I am ready to annoy forum elders with questions that I should not be asking, but before all that, I had one on 3d printing.

Somebody I know is setting up a 3d printing business and I am going to get a few of the brackets wermy designed made by him. I also don't have a Gameboy to scavenge, so thought I'd see how much printing a case that is perfect for the wermy design would cost, vs. buying one from china or a used gameboy on ebay. Googling for an stl file though gave me way too many options and I am unsure what is the right one to pick. I could of course take more time to figure it out, but I have to travel internationally in two weeks and would ideally like to get this made before I leave, so time is of the essence.

My questions:

1) Can somebody suggest the right search terms for google, so I can find an STL file for the original gameboy case that wermy started out with?

2) wermy, any plans of creating an STL that is perfectly customized for your design? If not, would you care to suggest some mods to be made on whatever STL I end up using? My friend can play with the file and tweak a few things for me.

In any case, LOVE your work and I look forward to more from you. Oh, this is also my first Rasp Pi ANYTHING, so quite excited to start this journey :)

In a few days, I will probably post on the other forums about using the first Raspberry Pi model that ever came out for this project. From what I can tell, it should have about the same power as the Pi Zero, so should work (I hooked it up to my computer monitor and it plays the games). But there should be a bunch of other design changes with all the other stuff. My plan is to build one with the Pi Zero, remaining faithful to wermy's guide and then to build a second one with the old Pi, this time figuring things out with the help of people on these forums.
A couple good places to look for STL files are thingiverse.com and myminifactory.com. yeggi.com is also a good one, it's sort of an aggregate search engine across several STL file sites.

Now, as for printing an entire case... Just be aware that you are not going to be able to even approach the fit/finish of an original DMG case using FDM printing. I haven't even bothered to try printing one yet, although there are some more exotic materials like carbon fiber that have especially good dimensional stability and are very good at hiding layer lines and all that. That might be worth a try. But seriously with something like that it would be so much easier to just buy a replacement shell. :)

Anyway, welcome! Be sure to share your progress with us! :)
ImageImageImageImage

Fleder

Post by Fleder » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:28 am

karthikrr wrote:1) Can somebody suggest the right search terms for google, so I can find an STL file for the original gameboy case that wermy started out with?
https://grabcad.com/library/retro-nintendo-gameboy-1

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:37 am

Fleder wrote:
karthikrr wrote:1) Can somebody suggest the right search terms for google, so I can find an STL file for the original gameboy case that wermy started out with?
Holy cow that's awesome - they have every little piece in there. :D
ImageImageImageImage

Fleder

Post by Fleder » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:48 am

wermy wrote:
Fleder wrote:
Holy cow that's awesome - they have every little piece in there. :D
Yeah, and if you want SLT Files but no Solidworks on hand: http://www.edrawingsviewer.com/