Suggestions

Got suggestions, feedback, praise, etc.? Post it here!
wermy
Site Admin

Re: Sub directories

Post by wermy » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:38 am

Kilren wrote:@wermy

So, I have been trying to use the search function to find old posts and it is a horrible experience each time. If you've ever searched anything, I nearly guarantee that you've seen "The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words" and then it goes on to block every word you typed, such as audio, "usb audio", and even words like "ds".

Not sure how much power you have over putting in a better search engine, or even getting ours to show results, but anything would be more helpful that the current state.
Ok so there were a couple settings in there I adjusted that may help: I decreased the minimum word-length it indexes to 2 characters and also bumped up the threshold for what is considered a "too common" word. It probably won't take effect immediately, but give it a try later on today or tomorrow and see if that helps.
ImageImageImageImage

Kilren

Re: Suggestions

Post by Kilren » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:34 pm

wermy wrote:Ok so there were a couple settings in there I adjusted that may help: I decreased the minimum word-length it indexes to 2 characters and also bumped up the threshold for what is considered a "too common" word. It probably won't take effect immediately, but give it a try later on today or tomorrow and see if that helps.
Awesome. I appreciate it, and I am sure a lot of other people will also. Hopefully it'll make finding information easier.

tanooki

Post by tanooki » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:47 am

Kilren wrote:
wermy wrote:Ok so there were a couple settings in there I adjusted that may help: I decreased the minimum word-length it indexes to 2 characters and also bumped up the threshold for what is considered a "too common" word. It probably won't take effect immediately, but give it a try later on today or tomorrow and see if that helps.
Awesome. I appreciate it, and I am sure a lot of other people will also. Hopefully it'll make finding information easier.
Not sure if you have looked into this any further, but I still haven't been able to successfully search. All words are still "too common."

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:37 am

tanooki wrote: Not sure if you have looked into this any further, but I still haven't been able to successfully search. All words are still "too common."
Alright, I disabled the common-words filter and re-indexed the database. Can you try your search again?
ImageImageImageImage

dboSS

Post by dboSS » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:50 am

Hi, i cannot use the pm feature. Every time I tried to pm, the forums errors with connection reset.

tanooki

Post by tanooki » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:06 am

wermy wrote:
tanooki wrote: Not sure if you have looked into this any further, but I still haven't been able to successfully search. All words are still "too common."
Alright, I disabled the common-words filter and re-indexed the database. Can you try your search again?
Looks like it is working much better now! Thanks.

MiL0

Post by MiL0 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:23 pm

I find the show-off corner quite difficult to keep up with... lots of projects and no index to easily identify which project is which. How about creating a wiki page showcasing people's show-off creations? (just 1 photo would do it... with a link to the original forum thread).

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:45 pm

MiL0 wrote:I find the show-off corner quite difficult to keep up with... lots of projects and no index to easily identify which project is which. How about creating a wiki page showcasing people's show-off creations? (just 1 photo would do it... with a link to the original forum thread).
Hm, to me the wiki doesn't feel like the right place for something like that. I could look into maybe an extension for that board to let people add a thumbnail or something. I do like the idea of an at-a-glance way to see which build is which.
ImageImageImageImage

MiL0

Post by MiL0 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:55 pm

wermy wrote:
MiL0 wrote:I find the show-off corner quite difficult to keep up with... lots of projects and no index to easily identify which project is which. How about creating a wiki page showcasing people's show-off creations? (just 1 photo would do it... with a link to the original forum thread).
Hm, to me the wiki doesn't feel like the right place for something like that. I could look into maybe an extension for that board to let people add a thumbnail or something. I do like the idea of an at-a-glance way to see which build is which.
nice - good idea!

what about updating the wiki with all the LCD screens that people are using?

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:02 pm

MiL0 wrote: nice - good idea!

what about updating the wiki with all the LCD screens that people are using?
A good chunk of them are actually already there: http://sudomod.com/wiki/index.php?title=GBZ_Screen
ImageImageImageImage