Donations

Got suggestions, feedback, praise, etc.? Post it here!
codacious

Donations

Post by codacious » Thu May 05, 2016 11:19 am

I can't speak for everyone but I am very grateful for the amount of work you have put into this project and this community. If you had some sort of "tip jar" or some way to send donations, I would gladly give you something to help keep this site and your tutorials going. Just a thought. Thanks for everything!

wermy
Site Admin

Re: Donations

Post by wermy » Thu May 05, 2016 12:02 pm

Hey thanks! It is seriously fun and rewarding seeing people enjoy and contribute to all this, and I would love nothing more than for it to keep growing beyond just the one project.

I've had several people suggest donations, but I have a couple (possibly unfounded) concerns that have kept me from doing it:
  • I don't want to appear greedy. I'm really doing this just for fun, though I've turned on ads on for youtube videos and the site to at least pay for hosting and help pay for parts and stuff. Don't get me wrong, if the site exploded and it turned into a full-time gig I wouldn't complain. :)
  • I already have people asking constantly when the next video will be out. Which I'm not complaining about, honestly! It's pretty awesome to know people are that excited about all of this. I just worry folks might feel a little more entitled to timely updates, choosing what projects I work on next, etc.
I dunno, maybe I'm just paranoid. I'm totally open to input from the community though. :)
ImageImageImageImage

codacious

Post by codacious » Thu May 05, 2016 1:17 pm

Just my opinion but I don't think it would come off as greedy at all. You are obviously putting in a lot of time. Although, I can definitely see what you mean about not having pressure or deadlines since nobody is having to pay for the "service". My suggestion is just setting up a stickied post in the announcements thread called "Tip Jar" with a PayPal link and a short message to the users. That way you aren't being "pushy" or greedy and you wouldn't even have to advertise it to the board. But I definitely get your concerns. :?

chiz

Post by chiz » Thu May 05, 2016 1:28 pm

@Wermy

Hats off to you regarding your thoughts on accepting donations, very noble indeed.

There are people however who genuinely wants to donate to show appreciation for the work you're doing. Besides you're not getting those components for free.

My GB project has long been in the back burner. I never had the time nor motivation to pursue it. However, your video reminded me of what's possible and I suddenly felt that rush to pick up my soldering iron and just start right away. For that alone, I owe you a beer or two.

So setup that donate button already! :) Just put a message that it's totally voluntary.

Fleder

Post by Fleder » Thu May 05, 2016 1:35 pm

Well, there might be donations of hardware and or parts, who knows :)
Just let us know, what you are going to build in the future/what you need and people could ship you some stuff, they have left.

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Thu May 05, 2016 1:48 pm

Thanks for the thoughts guys.

I'll think about it. Maybe I'll just put a tip-jar paypal link in the footer or something, so it's not too in-your-face but if someone asks I can point them there. :)
ImageImageImageImage

crispy_tofu

Post by crispy_tofu » Thu May 05, 2016 3:44 pm

That would be great! :mrgreen:

HUg0005

Post by HUg0005 » Fri May 06, 2016 4:58 pm

You should make sudomod or GBZ tee shirts

crispy_tofu

Post by crispy_tofu » Fri May 06, 2016 5:09 pm

HUg0005 wrote:You should make sudomod or GBZ tee shirts
I would buy that. :D

HUg0005

Post by HUg0005 » Fri May 06, 2016 5:12 pm

crispy_tofu wrote:
HUg0005 wrote:You should make sudomod or GBZ tee shirts
I would buy that. :D
Same! But shipping to Australia would be the same price as the tee shirt!