Forum Suggestion: Badge extension and Groups

Got suggestions, feedback, praise, etc.? Post it here!
Kilren

Re: Forum Suggestion: Badge extension and Groups

Post by Kilren » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:54 pm

chiz wrote:Congrats Helder on the Trailblazer badge! Well deserved!
/offtopic Glad to see you back @chiz, life back on track?

chiz

Post by chiz » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:02 pm

Kilren wrote:
chiz wrote:Congrats Helder on the Trailblazer badge! Well deserved!
/offtopic Glad to see you back @chiz, life back on track?
Thanks, man! Yup, pretty much back on track :)

Kilren

Post by Kilren » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:03 pm

chiz wrote:Thanks, man! Yup, pretty much back on track :)
Good, I am glad to hear that. Game on!

joe7dust

Post by joe7dust » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:25 am

I was going to create a new thread, but this seems closely related so I'll just drop it here.

How about some forward-facing donor perks? It'll be sure to help bring in some revenue, hell I would even help contribute to implement and design some of the features if you want.

Also, what do you think about having a fully-fledged "forum gold" system with trading capabilities?

Kilren

Post by Kilren » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:26 am

joe7dust wrote:I was going to create a new thread, but this seems closely related so I'll just drop it here.

How about some forward-facing donor perks? It'll be sure to help bring in some revenue, hell I would even help contribute to implement and design some of the features if you want.

Also, what do you think about having a fully-fledged "forum gold" system with trading capabilities?
Look around in this section about donations and you'll be able to read in more detail how wermy feels about it.

The short story: there is a little tiny donation button on the bottom of the page only because we finally bugged wermy enough to put it there. He didn't want it.

The premise of this community is a free community with free thoughts and free trade of goods, materials, and ideas. You're welcome to donate, but you donate to support wermy coming up with awesome new projects, pay for server fees, and the personal satisfaction you helped out. That's where any benefit ends.

joe7dust

Post by joe7dust » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:21 pm

[spoiler="yea"]
Kilren wrote:
joe7dust wrote:I was going to create a new thread, but this seems closely related so I'll just drop it here.

Look around in this section about donations and you'll be able to read in more detail how wermy feels about it.

The short story: there is a little tiny donation button on the bottom of the page only because we finally bugged wermy enough to put it there. He didn't want it.

The premise of this community is a free community with free thoughts and free trade of goods, materials, and ideas. You're welcome to donate, but you donate to support wermy coming up with awesome new projects, pay for server fees, and the personal satisfaction you helped out. That's where any benefit ends.
[/spoiler]Make sense, thanks for explaining that. I would suggest a Donor tag then, simple and modest.

[spoiler="Example Code Mockup "]Legend: Administrators, Global moderators, Donors[/spoiler]

Fleder

Post by Fleder » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:25 am

I, myself, would donate to help wermy doing more projects and saying thanks for his time and help. And also help him to get back a small portion of the money he spent on all those parts.
I would not want to have a special role/title/colour. This seems to me like some kind of "buy yourself some fame" thing.
Or pay money to be special. You can already help the community to get a badge or other stuff.
Which i think is good, but just paying for it to be different seems to be wrong, at least from my point of view.

Only my 2 cents. Other users might think differently about this topic.

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:18 am

@joe7dust @Fleder @Kilren

Yeah... I dunno, it just feels sort of weird to be directly and actively asking for money. That said, I had enough people that genuinely wanted to say thanks in that way that I went ahead and added a donate button. I don't promote it or anything though.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have things like hosting pay for themselves and have parts for projects at least partially subsidized, but it seems like it's better for that to come from something more passive like ads. I've tried to make those as unobtrusive as possible, and most tech-savvy folks use ad blockers anyway (though I do know some people who make a point to disable those for sites they like).

Maybe if this ever turns into a more full-time thing I'll feel different, but right now I'm more interested in just making cool stuff and growing this awesome community. :)
ImageImageImageImage

Kilren

Post by Kilren » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:42 pm

wermy wrote:it seems like it's better for that to come from something more passive like ads. I've tried to make those as unobtrusive as possible, and most tech-savvy folks use ad blockers anyway (though I do know some people who make a point to disable those for sites they like).
I'm putting a plug in for this. Turn off ad block for this page, and allow the ads. None of them are popups, and none of them have so far gotten in the way. It helps pay for hosting and everything else associated with running a website.