GBZ

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
Jeebs

GBZ

Post by Jeebs » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:09 pm

Hi, I am new here and I am not sure if this is the right place to post this or not. However I saw a video talking about the Gameboy Zero and it really interested me. It is something that I would like to do as a personal project but I have absolutely no experience in the matter. Is there a stepping stone idea that I should be following to learn and eventually advance to the GBZ or how should I go about this? All help will be appreciated :D thanks!

Eccho

Re: GBZ

Post by Eccho » Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:36 am

Hi,

I am as well very new to this forum, I've been lurking basically since end of november. First thing is to probably take you time. This goes by reading the forums (cannot emphasize enough on that), identify the hot topics, follow the pillars of this community, etc... Do. Not. Rush. Anything. Making a GBZ from scratch is relatively costly for a complete newborn. So blindly buying from someone else's recommended link(s) is a bit foolish. Compare the different versions of GBZ's available, both have pros and cons. Print out some very recurrent topics and try to dig in it as much as possible (that is however very personal as I prefer reading from paper). I can also suggest making you own list of parts you might need. What really kept me going for instance is putting a lot of thought and time into the colours of my GBZ. That may sound odd and superficial, but it can be a motivator projecting your final ideas. This is YOUR design, there is no wrong way of doing it.

I dont know how far from scratch you start, but try to get interested in Arduino for instance! I bought myself the starter kit, and it keeps me busy as I am trying to gather all the parts. Slowly. Im hoping to teach myself enough and understand Helder code for his AIO board.

I hope this was enough information for you, on the technical part I am still of very little help. All the basic answers are already on this forum. Good luck, and have fun!

Mattox

Post by Mattox » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:48 am

@GBZ: Welcome! I'm a newbie myself. So far, everyone has been really patient and helpful. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

Pirate

Post by Pirate » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:56 pm

Welcome new members! Don't be afraid to start this fun project you will be happy with what you accomplished and I speak from experience I started my own projects ever since October and I had no idea how to start when I joined, but I just simply followed every single step on Wermy's YouTube videos and it all ended up being a nice experience.

The first Gameboy that I ever made looked like a huge mess and it didn't even looked remotely close to what wermy had done but I learned a lot from my first build.

The second GBZ that I completed I made sure I was very cautious and organized thanks to that I was very happy with the end product and I was able to sell and cover all of my expenses.

One advice that I can give you is to not to buy too many parts thinking that you're going to build more than one. start small work with one and if you're happy with it buy parts for your next project.

Pirate

Post by Pirate » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:08 pm

I would also like to mention that you will need some starting money just to buy some basic tools like drills, soldering kits etc
I spent about 200 dollars for basic tools
and as for parts needed for a GBZ
that will range about 100 up to 200 depending what you want to use for your project so expect spending around 600 dollars in order to start this project from scratch.

BTW this is all in CAD currency.