Full VGA resolution (640x480) 3.5" display, composite in

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
Fleder

Re: Full VGA resolution (640x480) 3.5" display, composite in

Post by Fleder » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:26 am

tent wrote:Hi guys,
Isn't there an alternative 3.5" hi res screen that could be reused from a previous generation phone maybe?
Of course those would hardly have a composite input I guess...

Tent
No, that would mean you would have to build your own driver board, which is a lot of work.
Ask Kite about it. He is working on one, but that is easier since it has a certain interface.

username 123

Post by username 123 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:02 am

I honestly don't think that this screen is worth the extra money. It's about three times more expensive and the resolution isn't justifiable.
For anyone looking at getting this screen... Just get the cheaper ones and save your money.

Fleder

Post by Fleder » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:12 am

username 123 wrote:I honestly don't think that this screen is worth the extra money. It's about three times more expensive and the resolution isn't justifiable.
For anyone looking at getting this screen... Just get the cheaper ones and save your money.
For what it's worth, it is worth the money.

username 123

Post by username 123 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:16 am

Fleder wrote:
username 123 wrote:I honestly don't think that this screen is worth the extra money. It's about three times more expensive and the resolution isn't justifiable.
For what it's worth, it is worth the money.
Really? I didn't notice a big difference in quality. The rca video signal kills the picture no matter what resolution it offers. This $80 lcd compared to a $25 lcd doesn't offer much in better picture.
Don't get me wrong, I have notice a crispier picture but it's not really all that noticeable while gaming. It just offers better font quality.

username 123

Post by username 123 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:24 am

AustenFM wrote:Howdy Folks,

I got my 640x480 display yesterday from Wankeda store via eBay, shipped fast! We're talkin' 4 days from shipping notification, so the postage rate was worth it.

However, my screen and boards didn't arrive entirely pristine, and I would like a little input to whether or not I should put in for an exchange. First off, I haven't tested the screen through the pi yet because I'm still without a soldering iron, what would be the best way to go about getting a picture out of this little guy? I currently have it set up as shown on the main eBay picture: http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo15 ... -l1600.jpg Do I simply need to attach a 5v power supply and to plug in the yellow vga input to the device to give me a picture?

If the picture works out I'll likely keep the unit instead of going though the hassle of returns to China, but I want to share some hiccups on the hardware I noticed out of the box. First off, on the screen I noticed a little crimping on the ribbon cable, almost looked like toothed pliers crimped the edge. The connections however appear intact when viewed through a back light so everything Is probably good.

[spoiler="Crimped Ribbon"]Image[/spoiler]

[spoiler="Back Lit Ribbon, Looks OK"]Image[/spoiler]

Another little bung I noticed was on one of the little coiled copper wire towers on the main board, the top of the spool was chipped off. the wires however still look intact and undamaged otherwise.

[spoiler="Chipped Spool"]Image[/spoiler]

So what do you think, If I manage to get a picture out of it should I just accept these dings and avoid the hassle of returns? Or should I mount my mule and go forth to secure a replacement?

Thanks!
I have two of these screens and they both look ragged. I think these were pulled from some piece of electronic equipment that's not longer in use. Both of my look used with folded ribbons and scratched up boards.
A few years ago there were some China sellers selling 7 inch touch screens for carputers and every one that bought one complained about a faint image of the Jurassic park logo burnt into the lcd when it was powered on. Turns out that those lcds were ripped from decommissioned Jurassic park arcades and resold as new for $400.

CaptainDurden

Post by CaptainDurden » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:45 am

that's kinda funny though
Helder wrote:People spend so much time in asking questions and no time looking for an answer that is available.

tent

Post by tent » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:30 pm

and what about if a 3.5" hdmi screen would show up? :)
that would be a killer I'd think..
tent:wq

myPiZero

Post by myPiZero » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:07 pm

tent wrote:and what about if a 3.5" hdmi screen would show up? :)
that would be a killer I'd think..
Why there are no such displays? I have a 5 inch HDMI display, but haven't seen anything smaller.

Fleder

Post by Fleder » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:51 pm

username 123 wrote: Really? I didn't notice a big difference in quality. The rca video signal kills the picture no matter what resolution it offers. This lcd compared to a lcd doesn't offer much in better picture.
Don't get me wrong, I have notice a crispier picture but it's not really all that noticeable while gaming. It just offers better font quality.
I see a big difference compared to my cheap 320x240 screen.
I used VGA, but even with the AV Jack, there was a huge increase in quality.
Of course it depends on your settings and emulator. If you game only outputs 320x240, there is not much to gain.

But yeah, to each his own. It is definitely more expensive.

Ganreizu

Post by Ganreizu » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:43 am

Fleder wrote:
username 123 wrote: Really? I didn't notice a big difference in quality. The rca video signal kills the picture no matter what resolution it offers. This lcd compared to a lcd doesn't offer much in better picture.
I see a big difference compared to my cheap 320x240 screen.
I used VGA, but even with the AV Jack, there was a huge increase in quality.
Of course it depends on your settings and emulator. If you game only outputs 320x240, there is not much to gain.

But yeah, to each his own. It is definitely more expensive.
Maybe this could be useful...seems to take a lot of GPIO though.