Collecting information on alternative displays - please contribute

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
Glyph

Re: Collecting information on alternative displays - please contribute

Post by Glyph » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:49 am

Hi !

Sorry to insist with this point, but I really want to know how you guys adjust the screen when you don't have the button board.

I live in Canada, and the one that are named in this thread can't be sold in this country, and the one I found don't have the button board, or are just unknown by you.

Thanks for your help

n.marek

Post by n.marek » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:01 pm

tomsupergreen wrote:I receive my screen, order on amazon (https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B00UMW ... UTF8&psc=1)

Just receive, just opened and pissed of ...

It doesnt fit. I checked on the previous post. I found a similar one (at least the box is the same)
Here is the 3.5" screen that I bought off eBay. Maybe someone has posted it before, I don't know without going through all 22 pages ;)

Here is the link http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222089004685 it was £10.11/$14.39/€12,76. It took 3 weeks to arrive.

Tested working with 5v out of the box, with no other mods, though the pcb is too long and will need cutting.
Cheers,
Dom.

Here is the PCB I reveived:

It look that a bit different. Now I could not remove some part on each side to make it fit on the GMB case. I'm stuck.

I will try at leat to remove all I can, and desolder the 3 buttons.

But i'm pretty sure I need to find another screen.
I showed this in other post already, but I got the same screen as youm surprised by the width of the board, and took a risk and cut off the button side to make it fit and it still works.
Last edited by n.marek on Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tomsupergreen

Post by tomsupergreen » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:09 am

Are you sure of that ? Is that the same ? there is two variant very close, and mine have some componants (see right to the right button).

I think you have this screen: http://sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... &start=190

If not, could you post some picture of what you cut ?

n.marek

Post by n.marek » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:14 pm

edit: fixed the broken image link

tomsupergreen

Post by tomsupergreen » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:49 am

Nice ! Tks for the picture.

Last question : i think the screen was ready to 5 V,but you made some modifications.

Could you explain why ? And also the wirring you performed ?

ericgbz

Post by ericgbz » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:42 am

tomsupergreem, if I understand correctly most of these controller boards have a voltage converter circuit, which takes an input current > 5V (for example 12V) and outputs 5V.
So "converting" the LCD to 5V requires bypassing this DC to DC circuit by feeding your 5V power source directly to its output.
We can achieve this on the "monster" board like on several others posted here, by feeding 5V on pin 2 of the XL1509 chip (specs can be found here), optionally after removing it from the pcb.

tomsupergreen

Post by tomsupergreen » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:19 am

Thats what I think. But it works without modification so why should I remove chip or wirring my wires directly on it, and not just keep as actual ?

Lphillimore

Post by Lphillimore » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:04 pm

Hi All,

Currently awaiting my Gearbest screen and also a known working BW from Amazon (UK) to kick off my project.

In the meantime im playing with my first screen which was from eBay and seems to be the one that Wermy listed here with the ghosting issues:

http://sudomod.com/game-boy-zero-screen-alternatives/

For testing purposes I connected this screen upto a 12v source and input video direct from my old Raspberry Pi Model B with composite video out. This worked fine albeit the image was a tad fuzzy or jumpy perhaps.

I then attempted 5v power and the screen flickers once but that's it. As per the post linked above, has anyone got this screen and managed to get it running off of 5v? Im keen to modify this board as im still keen to use it for test purposes and am keen to see how 5v displays.

Cheers

144TECH

Post by 144TECH » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:17 pm

You can add two wires and 3 resistors on the Gearbest screen, and use menu + and -
The socket is not soldered on there, but it will work. you need the right value resistors between each of the 3 tactile switches. look for other boards for the resistor value's
* Very Rare * GBZ 640x480 v3 Stock Looks 6000MAH
http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=4863

Lphillimore

Post by Lphillimore » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:04 am

Managed to get this running off of 5v.

Turns out this isnt the same screen Wermy listed. Only model number on the box is K414

Looks like its the same screen listed above - mine did not run off of 5V out of th ebox however.

Opened it up again and checked the voltage regulator and found it was an XL1509 chip.

Looked it up and the easiest way was to simply solder pins 1 + 2 together as per the pics.

No need to remove the chip or run a wire.

Success!

Now to try and make it fit....
screen 1.PNG
screen 1.PNG (1.58 MiB) Viewed 7890 times
screen 2.PNG
screen 2.PNG (621.04 KiB) Viewed 7890 times