GBZ35 & GBZ35-Dark RetroPie Themes for Small Screens

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
RxBrad

GBZ35 & GBZ35-Dark RetroPie Themes for Small Screens

Post by RxBrad » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:56 pm

Image Image Image Image

There is also a DARK version of the theme:
Image Image Image Image

Update June 8, 2020: Added Pokemon Mini
Update Feb 25, 2020: Fixed issue with Open Beats of Rage logo image crashing RetroPie
Update Feb 24, 2020: Added Open Beats of Rage
Update Feb 4, 2020: Added 3DO, Amstrad CPC, Tandy Color Computer, Dragon 32, TRS-80, & X68000. Tweaked SuperGrafx Logo.
Update Jan 22, 2020: Added Apple II, PS2, Wii, & Xbox. Improved contrast & visibility on some system logos.
Update #2 - Jan 20, 2020: Added Nintendo Gamecube, Sega Saturn, SuperGrafx, & Wonderswan Color.
Update #1 - Jan 20, 2020: Fixed clipping of right edge of system logos
Update Jan 8, 2020: Added PC-Engine CD & TurboGrafx CD
Update Nov 20, 2019: Improved handling of missing systems. Fix system logo alignment in detailed/video views. Added Atari 800, Atari 5200, Daphne (dark theme only -- was already in light theme), PC Engine (alternative PCE naming), & ZX Spectrum.
Update May 6, 2018: Fix broken Famicom & Super Famicom logos
Update Apr 24, 2018: Added Dreamcast
Update Feb 26, 2018: Added Famicom, Super Famicom & TurboGraphx-16 theme; made multiple logo texts white on Dark theme; updated Genesis/MegaDrive & PCEngine/TG16 logos to use official theming process (see here to get the Genesis logo back, and see here to get TG16 logo back)
Update Jul 21, 2017: Added carousel theming (mostly noticeable on the dark theme -- only tweaked font size on light theme)
Update Jul 20, 2017: Added MAME variants; folder highlighting in gamelist; prepend folder name with § (Alt-0167) to add a folder icon (need to start folder name with a space to move to top of list)
Update #3 - Jul 18, 2017: Fixed clipping at the bottom of the gamelist at certain resolutions
Update #2 - Jul 18, 2017: Added c64, colecovision, intellivision, kodi, & ti99
Update Jul 18, 2017: Added favorite, all games, recently played and custom-collections functionality
Update Jul 17, 2017: Added support for video previews (be sure you're on the latest version of RetroPie, and note that the Pi Zero apparently struggles with video previews in RetroPie, so you may only want to scrape videos if you have a Pi2 or Pi3 in your GBZ -- also, I strongly suggest enabling OMX Player under "Other Settings" inside EmulationStation); fixed Retropie menu screen theme
Update Feb 9, 2017: Added dark theme and Dosbox section to theme
Update Dec 16, 2016: Added Child-friendly EmulationStation Icon support in the detailed view

Installation Instructions
Both GBZ35 themes can now be installed directly from RetroPie-Setup (network connectivity required).

Inside RetroPie-Setup, first run "Update RetroPie-Setup script". Then go to Configuration/Tools, then esthemes, and scroll down to find the themes. Once installed, you can exit RetroPie-Setup and apply the theme under UI Settings.

[LIGHT THEME] on Github.
[DARK THEME] on Github.
Last edited by RxBrad on Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:40 pm, edited 41 times in total.
Image Image

KaiKona808

Re: Custom ES Theme for 3.5" GBZ Screens

Post by KaiKona808 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:05 pm

@RxBrad

Thanks for the share. Just installed and tested. Really clean look and definitely easier on the eyes. I spent a good deal of time modifying the carbon theme fonts and colors and got it pretty decent looking. Yours just may be my permanent theme.

beerman

Post by beerman » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:33 pm

Nice and clean.

I've beaten you to it for some systems as it was annoying me that they looked just plain white.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/163 ... addons.zip

Systems added:
Megadrive
Neo Geo Pocket
Neo Geo Pocket Color
Atari Lynx
Mame
Sega32x
Ports - As most people will only have Kodi in their ports I've used the kodi logo in both the background image and the system image.
RetroPie

Ziggurat

Post by Ziggurat » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:31 am

Thanks, I'll install this on my GBZ :)
Pi3 in DMG-01 project https://goo.gl/Ax84Bf
(no pictures thus far, ordered most parts, waiting for them)

RxBrad

Post by RxBrad » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:24 am

beerman wrote:Nice and clean.

I've beaten you to it for some systems as it was annoying me that they looked just plain white.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/163 ... addons.zip

Systems added:
Megadrive
Neo Geo Pocket
Neo Geo Pocket Color
Atari Lynx
Mame
Sega32x
Ports - As most people will only have Kodi in their ports I've used the kodi logo in both the background image and the system image.
RetroPie
Feel free to modify however you like. As you've probably noticed, it's really simple to add systems with what I have posted:

Create a folder for the missing system, add a background.png and system.svg (logo) to the folder, then copy the same theme.xml file from one of the other folders. Don't like the US logo? Grab the Euro logo from the Carbon theme and copy over my system.svg with it.

Making ES themes is surprisingly easy. Here's a great tutorial if anyone else wants to give it a go (you'll notice that the Basic list from this tutorial matches mine almost exactly -- I have a couple tweaks planned for that). The hard part for us was just getting it installed on the GBZ, and I think I've laid that out okay enough.

I imagine I'll have this theme fleshed out with all the same systems that Carbon has by sometime this week. (EDIT: Carbon has a LOT of systems. I do have all the SimpleBigArt systems added, at least.)
Last edited by RxBrad on Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image

WoodMill

Post by WoodMill » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:40 am

Super! Thanks!

This theme will make me want to clean up my roms list even more. Get rid of the junk I won't ever play.
Follow my Youtube Vlog about Filmmaking
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... P0H6UZe1ds

RxBrad

Post by RxBrad » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:47 am

I think I should have all of the system themes added to the Git repository. Let me know if I missed something.
Image Image

Bobrobert

Post by Bobrobert » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:48 am

I love it! Nice and simple, but elegant at the same time. Great work

Frodowills

Post by Frodowills » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:12 pm

Looks great! I'll have to add it to mine!

Ganreizu

Post by Ganreizu » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:57 am

Word. This is the kind of aesthetic that appeals to me more than the themes I have seen at default.

I think a darker version would also be pretty sweet, not sure if this is what you wanted to avoid though since you said "easier on the eyes".