GBZ35 & GBZ35-Dark RetroPie Themes for Small Screens

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
amendozar

Re: Custom ES Theme for 3.5" GBZ Screens

Post by amendozar » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:28 pm

So I followed the instructions on GitHub but I'm not getting any background images to appear its just white. I was able to get to the themes folder, and copied over the master folder etc but when I select the theme this is all I get. Any ideas?
Attachments
IMG_0160.JPG
IMG_0160.JPG (2.56 MiB) Viewed 11295 times

RxBrad

Post by RxBrad » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:23 pm

@amendozar you shouldn't need to overwrite any files to install this (assuming that's what you mean by copy over). You should just copy the theme folder as a subfolder to the themes folder on your GBZ.

I've heard of the white screen as a common problem in Retropie, but the one time I encountered it on a different theme, it was fixed with a restart and never came back.
Image Image

amendozar

Post by amendozar » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:44 pm

@RxBrad I didnt overwrite anything, I just meant I copy+pasted the folder with the themes into the "themes" folder that also had the carbon theme's. Thats correct right?

I've tried restarting it but still getting the same thing.

Edit: It works now, for some reason when I unzipped the file it unzipped the master folder into another folder of the same name. Thanks for the quick reply

RxBrad

Post by RxBrad » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:28 pm

I've finally added the dark version of the theme that a lot of people have requested. Also added Dosbox support.

Image Image Image Image
Image Image

144TECH

Post by 144TECH » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:51 pm

Allright dude, this looks indeed alot better, only thing (personally i don't like that brown) but it's hundred times better now. waiting for the black/dark backgrounds (in the complete theme) with white letters.

Thumbs up

edit: if it was all like the super nintendo background (blue or black), it would be perfect in contrast.

I also read your instruction on github.. but isn't it easyer or possible to just copy it into the etc/themes folder and after that select it in retropie as theme ?

Thank you
* Very Rare * GBZ 640x480 v3 Stock Looks 6000MAH
http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=4863

RxBrad

Post by RxBrad » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:05 pm

@144TECH

For the most part, that's what the instructions are having you do. Just laying it out step by step for people like me with almost no Linux experience.

You could probably make it easier and do it in one step as a "clone" command from the command line. I'm just not certain how to do it.

Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of the brown myself. I just never got around to changing the original color that was in the SimpleBigArt theme it came from.
Image Image

Billy@sudo

Post by Billy@sudo » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:32 am

How do i do it without wifi on pi zero? I cant make my wifi wipi card to work with the pi zero.

RxBrad

Post by RxBrad » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:19 am

Billy@sudo wrote:How do i do it without wifi on pi zero? I cant make my wifi wipi card to work with the pi zero.
Not totally certain it would work, but you could try unzipping the ZIP file from the git onto a USB stick, and then using the file manager in the Retropie menu to copy the folder inside that ZIP from the USB stick to /etc/emulationstation/themes/

Before doing so, you may or may not need to run this command on your Pi:

Code: Select all

sudo chmod 0777 /etc/emulationstation/themes
Image Image

HoolyHoo

Re: Custom ES Theme for 3.5" GBZ Screen

Post by HoolyHoo » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:44 am

RxBrad wrote:
Billy@sudo wrote:How do i do it without wifi on pi zero? I cant make my wifi wipi card to work with the pi zero.
Not totally certain it would work, but you could try unzipping the ZIP file from the git onto a USB stick, and then using the file manager in the Retropie menu to copy the folder inside that ZIP from the USB stick to /etc/emulationstation/themes/

Before doing so, you may or may not need to run this command on your Pi:

Code: Select all

sudo chmod 0777 /etc/emulationstation/themes

It's good practice to copy existing themes from /etc/emulationstation/themes to /home/pi/.emulationstation/themes folder and install new ones in the latter. This way you don't need to use sudo to edit and your theme won't be changed on updates.

oxy93n

Post by oxy93n » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:15 am

Or u can use PARAGON ExtFS for Windows and read and write the Linux part from SD card on windows ;)