1st GBZ build feedback needed...

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
jrousselo

1st GBZ build feedback needed...

Post by jrousselo » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:56 am

So this is my 1st gbz build, which couldn't have been possible without wermy. So huge shoutout to him and big thanks.

Im about 95% finished and have been doing some beta testing on my build, I took it out for a car ride today and came back with a couple questions... figured I would grab some feedback..

So how warm do your game boy zero's run? Warm to the touch? HOT? COOL? Specifically the battery.....
I am using a powerboost 1000c with adafruit 2500 battery and after about an hour the entire game boy was noticeably warm everywhere is that normal? I felt the battery itself and it wasn't HOT just kinda warm.

Also at about the end of hour 2 the pi zero began to reboot every minute or so... is this due to the battery getting low? Or is that not a normal battery low indicator? I haven't ever fully charged the 2500 battery, this is the longest its been hooked up and running to date.

Any feedback would be appreciated...

VeteranGamer

Re: 1st GBZ build feedback needed...

Post by VeteranGamer » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:44 am

jrousselo wrote:So this is my 1st gbz build, which couldn't have been possible without wermy. So huge shoutout to him and big thanks.

Im about 95% finished and have been doing some beta testing on my build, I took it out for a car ride today and came back with a couple questions... figured I would grab some feedback..

So how warm do your game boy zero's run? Warm to the touch? HOT? COOL? Specifically the battery.....
I am using a powerboost 1000c with adafruit 2500 battery and after about an hour the entire game boy was noticeably warm everywhere is that normal? I felt the battery itself and it wasn't HOT just kinda warm.

Also at about the end of hour 2 the pi zero began to reboot every minute or so... is this due to the battery getting low? Or is that not a normal battery low indicator? I haven't ever fully charged the 2500 battery, this is the longest its been hooked up and running to date.

Any feedback would be appreciated...

im also still in the process of finishing my build (just waiting for a safe shutdown and some other componants because of some issues with the AIO).... so i've had time to get it all ready (retropie setup) and stress test it as best as posible...

i personally found the powerboost to run hotter than the generic power boost so did a swap there, also ive made my build alot more tidier to alllow for some (very little) breathing space...

the pi will get warm... but i found the powerboost to get the hottest, and bear in mind in an enclosed space that heat has nowhere to go so the heat will effect other parts....

the pi cutting out could be a few things.... but bear in mind your running everything of one power source so low power could be it or its getting hot... i personally havent experience the pi getting hot and shutting down....

thats my experience, others may differ

Lpoolm

Post by Lpoolm » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:25 am

on mine, when the battery is really low it will shut down, start up for a few seconds, shut down again.
Check out my modding and repair channel of retro and modern consoles:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFz7yW ... GtQ/videos

joeygbsn

Post by joeygbsn » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:58 am

The pi rebooting when the battery gets low makes sense. A discharged batterys output voltage will drop when under load but once the pi shuts down there is no load so the voltage rises and turns the pi back on which then causes the voltage to drop again. This is due to the internal resistance of the battery which increases as the battery discharges.

HoolyHoo

Post by HoolyHoo » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:16 pm

Just a bit of warning. Letting the battery run down low enough that the pi abruptly shuts downs, will eventually corrupt your SD card. So I would definitely make a backup of the image on your card and also not let it run down to where it cuts out or get some kind of safe shutdown installed. ;)

jrousselo

Post by jrousselo » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:13 pm

HoolyHoo wrote:Just a bit of warning. Letting the battery run down low enough that the pi abruptly shuts downs, will eventually corrupt your SD card. So I would definitely make a backup of the image on your card and also not let it run down to where it cuts out or get some kind of safe shutdown installed. ;)

Anyone have a good tutorial link on creating a safe shutdown, I have seen the one for sale in the forums, but its out of stock and I enjoy making ish so you know...

Lphillimore

Post by Lphillimore » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:37 pm

All seems normal to me and in-line with how mine behaves :mrgreen:

jrousselo

Post by jrousselo » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:21 am

Lphillimore wrote:All seems normal to me and in-line with how mine behaves :mrgreen:

Thanks.. to everyone.

Here is another question, I followed wermy's guide used the teensey lc and his script which works great in emulation station, but does not work for the pi config. Is there a way to map the config control so I can make adjustments without a keyboard?

Lphillimore

Post by Lphillimore » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:09 am

There probably is but i just use a Bluetooth keyboard when it comes to modifying the config etc or better, use Putty (SSH) via WiFi.

HoolyHoo

Post by HoolyHoo » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:46 am

jrousselo wrote:
HoolyHoo wrote:Just a bit of warning. Letting the battery run down low enough that the pi abruptly shuts downs, will eventually corrupt your SD card. So I would definitely make a backup of the image on your card and also not let it run down to where it cuts out or get some kind of safe shutdown installed. ;)

Anyone have a good tutorial link on creating a safe shutdown, I have seen the one for sale in the forums, but its out of stock and I enjoy making ish so you know...
This might be of interest to you.

http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2056