any ideas why my usb only half works??

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
Lpoolm

any ideas why my usb only half works??

Post by Lpoolm » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:07 am

So i have a targus usb hub (same as wermys original build) i have it stripped the same and connected the same as in the video.
The teensy is wired and works, controls all good! However when i plug in a keyboard to either the one left on the usb hub or the wired external usb the lights come on the keyboard faintly so they are both getting power but other than that will not work?
I tried running the usb hub power leads direct to the teensy also power boost, and get the same issue?
i also had another targus hub so stripped that and have the same issue?
i am using a pi zero w, not sure if that makes a difference but i am close to taking what i can apart and trying on a original pi zero, but really can not be bothered!!! :cry:
any ideas please?
Check out my modding and repair channel of retro and modern consoles:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFz7yW ... GtQ/videos

Lphillimore

Re: any ideas why my usb only half works??

Post by Lphillimore » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:55 pm

So to confirm, you've desoldered all ports from the hub?

Or left some on?

How is the hub getting its power? Direct from the powerboost or via powerboard that connects to powerboost?

The hub should not be getting its power directly from the Pi.

Lpoolm

Post by Lpoolm » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:41 am

The hub has one port left, teensy wired to it and external USB wired and it is powered from the power strip.
Check out my modding and repair channel of retro and modern consoles:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFz7yW ... GtQ/videos

jermzz

Post by jermzz » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:32 am

Lpoolm wrote:The hub has one port left, teensy wired to it and external USB wired and it is powered from the power strip.
Does the keyboard work on your physical port? (The one you didn't desolder?) if so, it's your wiring. If not, and the teensey works, your keyboard pobably isn't supported.

I just finished a build with the same hub and a pi zero w and everything works perfectly. I always leave one physica plug on the hub til the end for debugging.

Also note from my experience, if you leave any ports on the hub, they will not work with wireless Bluetooth, wifi or any other dongle. It will get too hot and the dongle will shut down. I always have to wire it away from the hub.