Save game/state and load game/state?

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
kittykanon

Save game/state and load game/state?

Post by kittykanon » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:10 am

Greetings all,
I have recently finished my GBA zero and was looking forward to the nostalgia of Mario world, but alas for me for I did not know how to save! I would play a few stages then have to get off, making it rather annoying in my attempt to beat it. I have all the buttons (2 bumpers, 4 frontal primary buttons, start/select, and the d-pad), is there a way to save progress only using these or do you have to edit the config? Thank you!

AAMinistry

Re: Save game/state and load game/state?

Post by AAMinistry » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:10 am

I know the default for the Xbox 360 pad is Right Bumper and Select to save to the current save slot. Left Bumper and Select loads from the current slot. Can't remember off hand how to cycle through save slots.

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:17 am

Using retro pie, the default to save is select + R1, and load is select + L1. To move through save states it is select + left, and right (might be up and down, can't recall 100%).

kittykanon

Post by kittykanon » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:21 am

Ahh, but when I do RB + select it comes up with a screen that effectively freezes my retro pie (Grey and green terminal esque menu), as none of the buttons (save start + select) works.

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:46 pm

hmm, normally when you press select + X it will bring up the menu like you mentioned, but it shouldn't be freezing the pi. You can always edit the controller configs though. Have a look here. It will help you out. Maybe try changing the hotkeys? If all else fails, maybe a fresh install of retropie on the SD card may help. I've never had any issues with hotkeys before.

https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Se ... figuration

Thump52

Post by Thump52 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:42 pm

I think this should help you, i created notes for myself in notepad++, Let me know if it this works for you and if you need further assistance.

To add load / save buttons : go to retroarch.cfg file over network connection , scroll down to the corresponding lines and do the following :

(---Turn this to This -----) Remove the # symbol like below

# Saves state. / # Saves state.
# input_save_state = f2 / input_save_state = e
# Loads state. / # Loads state.
# input_load_state = f4 / input_load-state = p

(---Turn this To This ----) dont forget to remove the # symbol

# Toggle between paused and non-paused state / Toggle between paused and non-paused state
# input_pause_toggle = p / input_pause_toggle = "'"

# Hold for slowmotion. / Hold for slowmotion.
# input_slowmotion = e / input_slowmotion = "."

That should be all, now hold select and press the Right Trigger on back (R1) To save , And hold select and press (A) To load, select witch slots with d pad,left/right & select with (A).
Gus 8-)

kittykanon

Post by kittykanon » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:13 pm

Thank you! I will try these as soon as soon as I grant myself internet access (Whitelisted internet)