Help with audio wiring (No AIO board)

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
thedude8888

Help with audio wiring (No AIO board)

Post by thedude8888 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:54 pm

Hi everyone. Ive sat into the late night for many days now, trying to get my audio working on my Rpi 0.

I have a Pam8403, Lowpass filter, PJ325 jack, 0.5w 8 ohm speaker small ferrite bead, and a 10k b103 potentiometer. I hooked it up, but didnt get anything. I didnt think i would at first try, but tried fiddling around a bit.
After no results, i decided to remove the jack and potentiometer, and see if i could get sound using only the lowpass filter, pam8403 and speaker. But i only got static noise. Tried other connections, but could only get noise.

I have searched and searched all post on sudomod, but all have a slightly different setting, fx usb audio and so on. I have made a schematics of my wiring, of the simple Pi0 -> lowpass filter -> amp -> speaker setup. I hope you can tell me what i am missing here!

My lowpass filter, is a single-side mono version of SP33's guide. Ive used this line in my config, to get PWM signal on pin 13, and on left channel from the pi:

Code: Select all

dtoverlay=pwm,pin=13,func=4
lowpass-filter2.png
lowpass-filter2.png (297.46 KiB) Viewed 4292 times
schematics - audio.png
schematics - audio.png (83.31 KiB) Viewed 4292 times
Hope you can help me :ugeek:

thedude8888

Re: Help with audio wiring (No AIO board)

Post by thedude8888 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:53 am

Okay hold the horses, i think i got it to work. With b103 10k potentiometer, pam8403 and lowpass filter. But no headphone jack in the setup, couldnt get it to work. Original gameboy didnt have jack either, so lets just say thats the reason im not using it :roll:
I can give a diagram of the wiring if anyone wishes to see it.

But now, when powering Rpi0 + screen + amp from Powerboost 500c with 3.7v 5000mah Lipo, the Powerboost resets/restarts every 3-5 seconds, and the Pi starts booting again. And suddenly there is static on the screen.

Anyone know why the powerboost resets/restarts? Everything is wired properly, i am almost certain.

Lphillimore

Post by Lphillimore » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:14 am

Powerboost 500 ? Im not sure a 500 will cut it. It will output 1000mAh but that's the top end as opposed to middle of road for the 1000c.

That said a Pi Zero, screen and amp shouldn't draw that much.

Do you have pics of the setup?

thedude8888

Post by thedude8888 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:48 am

Alright i hooked it up to a Pb 1000c instead. Restartet/reset even quicker. I plugged in the micro usb charging cable, and it worked like a charm. I think the battery might be flat, or broken. One of the two options. Ill try to charge it full up. Its just weird, its brand new, and i have never gotten a brand new battery that was totally flat. Hmm, ill let it charge a few hours and see what happens. Thanks for your input Lphillimore :)

Lphillimore

Post by Lphillimore » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:01 am

Ahh I assumed you were already running off of the micro USB. That's always my test gauge. Battery comes last for me.

Batterys can vary, i had issues with one recently that needed a couple of full charges / discharges before working as expected. Perhaps the battery you got was just really low. Try a few charge cycles and see how it goes.

Then swap your 500 back in perhaps. Good luck!