Bypass headphone jack helder 2.2

General GBZ-related chat goes here. Share ideas, tips and tricks, or ask questions that don't fit into the hardware/software help forums.
Jmk125

Bypass headphone jack helder 2.2

Post by Jmk125 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:25 pm

Hi,

I am trying to figure out how I would wire up the speaker to bypass the headphone jack on helders aio 2.2. I have the volume wheel wired up correctly, but the sound was pretty bad and I figured it was due to my poor soldering on the headphone jack. I just want to go around the headphone jack alltogether as I would probably never use it anyway. I did a search and it seemed like I could only find the opposite (going only to the headphone jack.

How would I wire this? I tried a few things that I thought would work, but my knowlege is limited and so are my skills hah.

Thanks.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Re: Bypass headphone jack helder 2.2

Post by Helder » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:20 am

Jmk125 wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:25 pm
Hi,

I am trying to figure out how I would wire up the speaker to bypass the headphone jack on helders aio 2.2. I have the volume wheel wired up correctly, but the sound was pretty bad and I figured it was due to my poor soldering on the headphone jack. I just want to go around the headphone jack alltogether as I would probably never use it anyway. I did a search and it seemed like I could only find the opposite (going only to the headphone jack.

How would I wire this? I tried a few things that I thought would work, but my knowlege is limited and so are my skills hah.

Thanks.
Just connect the Headphone In to the Speaker Out using the diagram below. Be sure you connect the 2 channels together with a wire, you can skip the audio ground.

Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

Jmk125

Post by Jmk125 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:32 am

Ok I connected headphone in to speaker out.

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by connecting the two channels together? Do you mean to just run a wire from left out speaker to right out speaker?

As it is now, I have sound, but for the most part, it sounds very laggy almost as if the emulators were not running at full speed. They are all running at 60fps.

Edit: It seems to be mostly from genesis and gba games. Super Nintendo at first glance seems to do it some as well.

PolletjeNL

Post by PolletjeNL » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:50 pm

If you use PWM audio, audio can sound distored more on one emulator then the other. At least that is my experience. Did you add the disable_audio_dither=1 option to your config.txt??

Jmk125

Post by Jmk125 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:27 pm

I had not, but I just tried that and it doesn't seem to be any different.

One thing that I notice is that when my volume is turned down fairly low, it sounds fine. I would prefer to be able to play with it louder though hah. "Distorted" maybe isn't how I would describe it...maybe..."choppy" would be a better term?

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:58 pm

Choppy sound has been documented for pages upon pages in my support thread so have a look there for the answers to fix it. You will likely need to swap 2 resistors on the board.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.