Rodocop's 1st and 2nd GBZ

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
rodocop

Rodocop's 1st and 2nd GBZ

Post by rodocop » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:35 pm

So I figured I would post a few pics of my completed GBZ's this community has helped so much, and I have learned a lot. Before I began I had never touched a soldering iron, and I had never attempted anything like this. I now feel confident in my skills and can't wait to figure out a new project.

GBZ #1

This one I built with an original gameboy shell. It isn't the prettiest, I definately messed up with the dremel around the screen and I did gouge a few spots with the cutting disk. Nothing too bad though. Either way it turned out great for my first attempt.

I used a screen from alibaba that ran off 5V with no mod, the driver board was huge so it was a tight fit.
1Show
No usb hub, but I did add one external usb port in the ext port, i installed the volume wheel upside down, works fine, just opposite of what it should be.
2Show
Home made audio filter, and power strip, adafruit mono amp and speaker. I used a simple button PCB from ebay, wired directly to the pi's GPIO's, two tactile switches for L/R, a nice label from Dominator for my cartridge, behind the cartridge is a 3200mah samsung note battery, connected to the banggood power boost
3Show
micro usb port on the side, dremel job wasn't the greatest, and I also made a hole for the micro SD, also not my best work
4Show
So here is the complete unit, also, I have a clear acrylic screen protector that I traded with another user for, he swapped a volume wheel for it, and the I bought a vinyl border off another user on here
5Show
Last edited by rodocop on Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:31 pm, edited 9 times in total.

rodocop

Re: Rodocop's 1st and 2nd GBZ

Post by rodocop » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:44 pm

GBZ #2

So this one is much better, I used a black shell from ebay, clear buttons with leds from HHL, acrylic screen protector and cartridge label from dominator, cambles safe shutdown for banggood powerboost, and helders all in one board.

buttons and screen look nice.
1Show
wiring up helders board
2Show
5v mod on the gearbest screen I used this time around
3Show
test fitting the screen
4Show
I planned to put the power boost in the cartridge, I ended up just running adding a micro usb port in there and left the power boost inside the gameboy
5Show
it's a little messy
6Show
power boost and battery ready to go
7Show
here it is finished, I added leds behind the buttons for a cool effect. There is a switch in the battery compartment to turn them on or off
8Show
Last edited by rodocop on Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:34 am, edited 4 times in total.

n.marek

Post by n.marek » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:28 pm

Nice, I like those LED buttons :)

And yes, the second is nicer, I understand this though. You learn/practice on the first one and then you master the others :lol:
Last edited by n.marek on Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

correia5022

Post by correia5022 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:30 pm

Second build is much nicer.
thanks for sharing!

(i'm still waiting for my parts to arrive :( )
Check out my Boombox: https://nrcboombox.wixsite.com/website

hobbyist

Post by hobbyist » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:55 am

:D LEDs behind the buttons are awesome, nice job

DerrickGar

Post by DerrickGar » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:50 am

hobbyist wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:55 am
Yeah I think they look amazing!

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:38 pm

DerrickGar wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:50 am
hobbyist wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:55 am
Yeah I think they look amazing!
Yeah. I liked the LEDs. Pretty easy addition. The LEDs I bought from handheld legend were nice and small and had built in resistors. Very easy to use. But you could easily use any LEDs on hand.

https://handheldlegend.com/collections/ ... led-module

I've also used them in some modded DMGs
SpoilerShow

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:34 pm

Nice builds ! Especially the second one. I'm intended to add leds also but i didn't really understand how to drive them as i bought 3528 SMD leds.
I'm still trying to figure out how to make them light and be controlled for dimming with a pot in the cartridge... (pot with off position)
I was lurking those ready to use leds from hand held but i found them to be too expensive for what it was.
Follow me on instagram Image

144TECH

Post by 144TECH » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:54 am

Hi dude, nice looking stuff especially the 2nd one (offcourse :D) that's funky those modded gb's with these led's behind the buttons shining trough.
Maybe in the future, if you do that again, you can paint the inside of the case black, so that the light only travels out the button area's :mrgreen: however painting can be risky some black vinyl would be safer so you dont end up anywhere else with that paint on the front of the case :lol: thumbs up, Greets 144Tech
* Very Rare * GBZ 640x480 v3 Stock Looks 6000MAH
http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=4863

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:19 am

144TECH wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:54 am
Hi dude, nice looking stuff especially the 2nd one (offcourse :D) that's funky those modded gb's with these led's behind the buttons shining trough.
Maybe in the future, if you do that again, you can paint the inside of the case black, so that the light only travels out the button area's :mrgreen: however painting can be risky some black vinyl would be safer so you dont end up anywhere else with that paint on the front of the case :lol: thumbs up, Greets 144Tech
Yeah, the LEDs worked much better with a black case to start with, not as much bleed through, I was not too happy with the light bleeding through on the yellow case, I had thought if I was going to do it again I would paint the inside.