3y3c0ugh's GBZ Experience (Completed)

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
3y3c0ugh

3y3c0ugh's GBZ Experience (Completed)

Post by 3y3c0ugh » Thu May 12, 2016 1:20 pm

Hi all,
Hope you find some helpful pictures that I've made and used along the way creating this project. Please feel free to ask any questions and I'll try to answer them if I can! For my build. I used SNES buttons, a BW niceshopping screen, and made some artwork for the cartridge. I used powerpoint (very basic) to do it. Here is a link if anyone is interested. You'll see a picture of my cartridge below. I butchered getting the original power switch off the board, so I bought one from a local store. If you don't want to scroll down through here, I'll leave a link to my imgur with everything on it.

Front View:

Back View:

Front of Cartridge:

Inside of Cartridge:

Reader Pins Identified and Clipped:

Reader Pins Soldered:

Screen and Bracket in Place:

Screen Wiring up Close:

Helpful Resources I found/made along the way! :

Pi Zero Pads on Back (Found):

SD Card to Pi0 Wiring (Made):

Edit: Made 2 changes to wiring. A Not Fully Completed Wire Diagram of how I plan to wire (Made):
Last edited by 3y3c0ugh on Tue May 17, 2016 9:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
My Website Main Page | MAME Section of my Site | 3y3c0ugh's GBZ Experience

"There are only 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't."

wermy
Site Admin

Re: 3y3c0ugh's GBZ Experience

Post by wermy » Thu May 12, 2016 1:41 pm

Nice! You've skipped ahead :D

Your wiring diagram is pretty much spot-on with what I had.
ImageImageImageImage

Retrohead95

Post by Retrohead95 » Thu May 12, 2016 2:20 pm

3y3c0ugh wrote:Hi all,
Hope you find some helpful pictures that I've made and used along the way creating this project. Please feel free to ask any questions and I'll try to answer them if I can! For my build. I used SNES buttons, a BW niceshopping screen, and made some artwork for the cartridge. I used powerpoint (very basic) to do it. Here is a link if anyone is interested. You'll see a picture of my cartridge below. I butchered getting the original power switch off the board, so I bought one from a local store. If you don't want to scroll down through here, I'll leave a link to my imgur with everything on it.

Front View:

Back View:

Front of Cartridge:

Inside of Cartridge:

Reader Pins Identified and Clipped:

Reader Pins Soldered:

Screen and Bracket in Place:

Screen Wiring up Close:

Helpful Resources I found/made along the way! :

Pi Zero Pads on Back (Found):

SD Card to Pi0 Wiring (Made):

A Not Fully Completed Wire Diagram of how I plan to wire (Made):
Perfect. Thanks for sharing. Your wiring diagram helped a lot. One question I do have is that since I'm using a pi 3, wonder if they share the same test points. :P. It's also nice to have wermy confirm it and why the power breakout board?

3y3c0ugh

Post by 3y3c0ugh » Thu May 12, 2016 4:21 pm

wermy wrote:Your wiring diagram is pretty much spot-on with what I had.
I do have one question, did you wire anything to the 5v GPIO pin? Your screen didn't look wired into the Powerboost, as I only remember seeing one pair of black/red wiring going from your back case to front, which went into your breakout.

"There are only 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't."

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Thu May 12, 2016 4:33 pm

3y3c0ugh wrote:
wermy wrote:Your wiring diagram is pretty much spot-on with what I had.
I do have one question, did you wire anything to the 5v GPIO pin? Your screen didn't look wired into the Powerboost, as I only remember seeing one pair of black/red wiring going from your back case to front, which went into your breakout.
I believe my screen was wired to that breakout you showed. I'd have to double-check though.
ImageImageImageImage

3y3c0ugh

Post by 3y3c0ugh » Thu May 12, 2016 4:55 pm

Retrohead95 wrote:Perfect. Thanks for sharing. Your wiring diagram helped a lot. One question I do have is that since I'm using a pi 3, wonder if they share the same test points. :P. It's also nice to have wermy confirm it and why the power breakout board?
I do believe they would have the same test points of PP14-PP19 for the SD card (if they had them :( ) , but the Pi 3 B and the Pi 2 B don't have them. I own both and just looked each up and down.

The power breakout I noticed in wermy's imgur collection he posted when he created the first. (Bottom right of photo)

What he did was run 5v and GND from the Powerboost over to the breakout board. (looks like the 2nd connection out of 5). That way he was able to keep everything running 5v in one central place. Instead of running wires back and fourth between the halves. If you think about what we have to power on that one side alone: Screen(Powerboost OR 5vb/o), 2.5W Amp, Pi0, usbhub, teensy.

crispy_tofu

Post by crispy_tofu » Thu May 12, 2016 5:58 pm

Looking great! :D

Retrohead95

Post by Retrohead95 » Thu May 12, 2016 6:00 pm

3y3c0ugh wrote:
Retrohead95 wrote:Perfect. Thanks for sharing. Your wiring diagram helped a lot. One question I do have is that since I'm using a pi 3, wonder if they share the same test points. :P. It's also nice to have wermy confirm it and why the power breakout board?
I do believe they would have the same test points of PP14-PP19 for the SD card (if they had them :( ) , but the Pi 3 B and the Pi 2 B don't have them. I own both and just looked each up and down.

The power breakout I noticed in wermy's imgur collection he posted when he created the first. (Bottom right of photo)

What he did was run 5v and GND from the Powerboost over to the breakout board. (looks like the 2nd connection out of 5). That way he was able to keep everything running 5v in one central place. Instead of running wires back and fourth between the halves. If you think about what we have to power on that one side alone: Screen(Powerboost OR 5vb/o), 2.5W Amp, Pi0, usbhub, teensy.
Thanks for clarifying. I was hoping there would be an alternative to soldering to the microsd slot but I guess I'll figure it out eventually. I doubt the cartridge slot would fit with the pi 3 in there anyways. The power breakout board does make it a lot simpler,that's one more thing I need to add to my list.

3y3c0ugh

Post by 3y3c0ugh » Sun May 15, 2016 10:07 am

Hi All,

Managed to get a hold of a pi0 in a budget back for $20 and finished up the project! :). I really want to thank @wermy for everything he's done for all us and the help he's provided along the way (along with the idea as well :lol: ) I had a lot of fun doing this and it was definitely an experience, and happy for this being the first project I've done!

Here are a couple photos of my insides: (PLEASE DON'T USE THESE PICTURE FOR REFERENCE TO WIRE THE USB HUB, MINE IS WIRED BACKWARDS IN THIS PHOTO)

Here are a couple photos of what the final product looks like:

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Sun May 15, 2016 10:54 am

Great job! I think you're the first to cross the finish line that I've seen on this one. :D
ImageImageImageImage