Gameboy 'Athena' (Pi3) build log [WIP].

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
jb32647

Re: Gameboy 'Athena' (Pi3) build log.

Post by jb32647 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:00 am

Today I decided to rewire the controls because the L/R and start/select buttons were tangled. The GB shell should be here in about a week. Image
An amateur at best. Current project: GB 'Athena'

jb32647

Post by jb32647 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:49 pm

My Gameboy case came last night! I have also decided to abandon the 3.5" GPIO screen due to the refresh rate issues, and will get one of the reversing monitors instead.

jb32647

Post by jb32647 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:30 pm

Good news! I have almost finished modifying the case to fit the pi3!

Bad news! I accidentally ripped the +5v pad off my audio amp. I'll have to pick another one up next time I go to Jaycars...

GB3

Post by GB3 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:27 pm

Hope this project is still happening, this is really inspirational to me. Good work!

jb32647

Post by jb32647 » Thu May 04, 2017 3:07 am

GB3 wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:27 pm
Hope this project is still happening, this is really inspirational to me. Good work!
This project stalled for a bit, but I'm back. Firstly I was in exam block for a couple of weeks so I didn't work on it, then I got sick on the first week of school holidays so I didn't work on it either. I need a new screen, but I have no pocket money left so I'm looking for a part time job. I did finish working on the buttons last weekend, so I'll probably finish programming the arduino next weekend.

jb32647

Post by jb32647 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:51 pm

I have been gone for ages, but I haven't stopped the project. I've been having some 'real life' issues that I've had to deal with, and have not worked on this for a while. However, I have been doing some work on this for the past two weeks, and today I finished the audio circuitry.
The volume knob works, (it will stick out the bottom, rather than the side) as does the switched headphone jack, which intercepts the amp's signal. The amp is actually an analogue amplifier, from an old mono boombox. Ignore the mouse with the green and black wires coming out of it, that's just there to provide the amp power while I test it. The amp also works on 5v, so I can just attach it to the GBP3's power distribution board I made with some strip board. Image

The blue thing in the corner is a USB powered mini fan I made five minutes ago. I also decided to completely rewire the buttons, they were getting on my nerves (forgot to take pics, sorry), and with that the only thing I have left to do is the screen, then I will be done, barring final assembly.

jb32647

Re: Gameboy 'Athena' (Pi3) build log [WIP].

Post by jb32647 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:26 pm

I have some good and bad news.
Good news: I decided to paint the case a matte black on the inside, similar to the Galaxy 8, and it looks quite nice:
It has masking tape on the front so I didn't paint over it.

Bad news: Turns out I had left a tiny solder bridge between the 5v pad and the power LED on the powerboost, so when I plugged it in it blew up. Luckily the powerboost itself is fine, and I was gonna remove the LED anyway, but it scared the crap out of me.

Somewhat alright news: The battery doesn't fit since I moved some components around, but I have a D-cell battery holder that fits my lithium pack, which I will put on the back like the Sega Nomad's battery compartment.

jb32647

Post by jb32647 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:51 am

I've ordered the rear-view monitor from China, and it should arrive within the month. (I got free express shipping since it's eBay's birthday.)

jb32647

Post by jb32647 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:58 pm

Last minute decision to add an analog stick. A friend gave me a broken PS2 controller, so I'm going to add a stick to the GB3. Why one? Because most of the PSone games I have (FF7, Crash, Diablo) only use the dpad, and most other PS games I play only use the one stick, so there's no real point in having two.

The stick is too big right now, and clips the select button, so I'm going to grind down the shaft, and trim off the round part of the analog stick. It's also filthy, so I'll give it the detergent-and-bleach treatment I use to clean PS3 analog sticks.

jb32647

Post by jb32647 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:13 am

Well, the stick sat in detergent and bleach, which got rid of the grease and stickiness, but it is still discoloured.
SpoilerShow
So I've left it in a solution of stain-remover and washing powder, which should hopefully remove the discolouration.
SpoilerShow