SidSilver's GBZ

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
SamuraiCoder

Re: SidSilver's GBZ

Post by SamuraiCoder » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:02 pm

Well...I think it happened the same to me as well. I wired the 2dn pin in the circuit but I wired 2 (didn´t realized). So I followed this steps to see if my screen works at 5vs ( http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=958 ) to check if work but didn´t.

I think I fried as well my circuit and I´m gonna buy a new one, but, is there something I can do before buying? Some checks with the multimeter?

Thank you!

Cheers.

SidSilver

Post by SidSilver » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:25 pm

Another mod is better and even easier, i'll update my post tomorrow with a picture. Give a second chance to your screen, i doubt that you have fried it.

My post is a little bit outdated.

SamuraiCoder

Post by SamuraiCoder » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:05 pm

SidSilver wrote:Another mod is better and even easier, i'll update my post tomorrow with a picture. Give a second chance to your screen, i doubt that you have fried it.

My post is a little bit outdated.
Well...I´ve tried again and this time putting something in the SD and voila! I got signal on the screen....!!!

But now I have a question, what are the correct wires for that? It´s supposed to be that the video (yellow) will be there but the 5v/gnd will be in a different spot no?

Cheers!

Nucklez

Post by Nucklez » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:12 am

joe7dust wrote: How did you know to run that small cable to make it work on 5v? I'm afraid to even solder it with the pins on that chip being 1mm apart. I definitely never would have known to run a cable there. O_o
I can try to explain why this works. That chip is a voltage regulator. It takes 12v in, and converts it to 5v out. I cannot remember the model of the chip, but I had looked it up when I was modifying my screen like this. I left my chip installed, and ran the power directly to pin 3 on the chip, bypassing the 12v in part of the circuit. Pin three on the chip outputs 5v when it is properly connected to a 12v source. In other words, normally it accepts 12v in, and the chip converts it to 5v out to power the screen. That is how they work on 5v when you bypass this chip.

I wish I could remember the model of this chip. My eyes are getting old, and I cannot see these numbers without a friggen microscope. Which is literally how I saw the model number the first time. Now my wire is covering the model number... :/

Rabbitpuncher

Post by Rabbitpuncher » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:58 am

I have a gearbest screen but my "chip" is situated differently than your picture. Are you able to confirm which pin I should attach the wire to?
Attachments
IMG_0144.JPG
IMG_0144.JPG (2.82 MiB) Viewed 5371 times

GMoney

Post by GMoney » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:58 am

Rabbitpuncher wrote:I have a gearbest screen but my "chip" is situated differently than your picture. Are you able to confirm which pin I should attach the wire to?
Check this section of the screen discussion: http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 520#p23871