[For Sale] Gorilla Glass Screen

Sell or trade things with other forum members!
User avatar
incontrasttogray
Posts: 56
Joined: Sun May 29, 2016 4:56 pm
Location: New Jersey, USA
Has thanked: 103 times
Been thanked: 30 times
Contact:

[For Sale] Gorilla Glass Screen

Post by incontrasttogray » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:45 am

You've done it!

You've got all the parts to your PiBoy, including that brand new full color screen!
Shiny, expensive, rare.
You should protect it with the might of Harambe.

Gorilla Glass is your best bet!
Image
Image

FACTS:
· Laser cut corning Gorilla Glass 3
· .55mm thick (that's slightly thinner than the original plex)
· This batch does NOT come with any sort of decorative surround.
I am looking into how best to do that.

$15 USA / CA
$19 Internationally


Image

When inventory runs out I will open a pre-order for a second batch.
Let me know if there are any issues.

** RIP Harambe **
Hey Sudomodonites,
Aspiring industrial designer looking to make some modifications to the system housing.

User avatar
Tamasco
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:37 pm
Location: Spain
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 10 times

Re: [For Sale] Gorilla Glass Screen

Post by Tamasco » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:43 am

Would there be in a near future the gorrilla glass screen protector with the usual @dominator ´s screen sorround?

User avatar
WoodMill
Posts: 176
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:57 am
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 29 times

Re: [For Sale] Gorilla Glass Screen

Post by WoodMill » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:07 pm

What would be the best way to mount this to the gameboy? I feel like Super Glue would hold under light conditions but eventually pop off.
Follow my Youtube Vlog about Filmmaking
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... P0H6UZe1ds

User avatar
incontrasttogray
Posts: 56
Joined: Sun May 29, 2016 4:56 pm
Location: New Jersey, USA
Has thanked: 103 times
Been thanked: 30 times
Contact:

Re: [For Sale] Gorilla Glass Screen

Post by incontrasttogray » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:10 pm

Tamasco wrote:Would there be in a near future the gorrilla glass screen protector with the usual @dominator ´s screen sorround?
The process of figuring this out has just begun. Realistically it is going to take a little while to figure out how best to get decorative surround onto the glass without going through a 2nd costly process. I will keep you guys updated for certain!
Hey Sudomodonites,
Aspiring industrial designer looking to make some modifications to the system housing.

User avatar
incontrasttogray
Posts: 56
Joined: Sun May 29, 2016 4:56 pm
Location: New Jersey, USA
Has thanked: 103 times
Been thanked: 30 times
Contact:

Re: [For Sale] Gorilla Glass Screen

Post by incontrasttogray » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:31 pm

WoodMill wrote:What would be the best way to mount this to the gameboy? I feel like Super Glue would hold under light conditions but eventually pop off.

Excellent question! So, there a number of ways that are considered acceptable. Superglue would probably fail faster than other glues, epoxies, or resins but still falls into the acceptable category. The idea here is to compensate for the lack of surface area you'll be gluing the glass to. So the stronger, the better. Epoxies and Resins are the way to go but they typically aren't transparent. I'm currently using Octopus Glue (uses a UV catalyst) which would be used in cellphone screen replacement. Works great, and is available online.

Here's a link to that stuff.
https://www.amazon.com/Octopus-Glue-Opt ... 21AII?th=1
Hey Sudomodonites,
Aspiring industrial designer looking to make some modifications to the system housing.

User avatar
WoodMill
Posts: 176
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:57 am
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 29 times

Re: [For Sale] Gorilla Glass Screen

Post by WoodMill » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:06 pm

Order placed. Will give it a shot. Will use on my second build. First build will be a test. Second one for realzys with Helders latest All-in-one version.
Follow my Youtube Vlog about Filmmaking
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... P0H6UZe1ds

User avatar
bananaman
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:02 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: [For Sale] Gorilla Glass Screen

Post by bananaman » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:37 am

incontrasttogray wrote:
WoodMill wrote:What would be the best way to mount this to the gameboy? I feel like Super Glue would hold under light conditions but eventually pop off.

Excellent question! So, there a number of ways that are considered acceptable. Superglue would probably fail faster than other glues, epoxies, or resins but still falls into the acceptable category. The idea here is to compensate for the lack of surface area you'll be gluing the glass to. So the stronger, the better. Epoxies and Resins are the way to go but they typically aren't transparent. I'm currently using Octopus Glue (uses a UV catalyst) which would be used in cellphone screen replacement. Works great, and is available online.

Here's a link to that stuff.
https://www.amazon.com/Octopus-Glue-Opt ... 21AII?th=1
Do you but the glue on to the screen as in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOmBH2_kzpo or just on the edge?

User avatar
incontrasttogray
Posts: 56
Joined: Sun May 29, 2016 4:56 pm
Location: New Jersey, USA
Has thanked: 103 times
Been thanked: 30 times
Contact:

Re: [For Sale] Gorilla Glass Screen

Post by incontrasttogray » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:54 pm

bananaman wrote:
incontrasttogray wrote:
WoodMill wrote:What would be the best way to mount this to the gameboy? I feel like Super Glue would hold under light conditions but eventually pop off.

Excellent question! So, there a number of ways that are considered acceptable. Superglue would probably fail faster than other glues, epoxies, or resins but still falls into the acceptable category. The idea here is to compensate for the lack of surface area you'll be gluing the glass to. So the stronger, the better. Epoxies and Resins are the way to go but they typically aren't transparent. I'm currently using Octopus Glue (uses a UV catalyst) which would be used in cellphone screen replacement. Works great, and is available online.

Here's a link to that stuff.
https://www.amazon.com/Octopus-Glue-Opt ... 21AII?th=1
Do you but the glue on to the screen as in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOmBH2_kzpo or just on the edge?

Just on the edge
Hey Sudomodonites,
Aspiring industrial designer looking to make some modifications to the system housing.

msykos
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:08 am
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: [For Sale] Gorilla Glass Screen

Post by msykos » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:52 pm

So the store that sells the octopus glue on Amazon is 15 minutes from my house. Stopped by there today and got the glue. They had some concerns about using it for the glass. They suggested glueing the glass on first. Said if the screen is not water tight the glue could seep into the screen a ruin it. Guess it is very viscous. Also said that the glue's strength comes from a lot of surface area contact and the small edge might not be enough area. The also had some 1mm wide double sided tape, said it is used for putting letters on the backs of cars. I am making 2, will try the glue on one and the tape on the other. Just thought I'd pass along their thoughts.

User avatar
incontrasttogray
Posts: 56
Joined: Sun May 29, 2016 4:56 pm
Location: New Jersey, USA
Has thanked: 103 times
Been thanked: 30 times
Contact:

Re: [For Sale] Gorilla Glass Screen

Post by incontrasttogray » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:33 pm

msykos wrote:So the store that sells the octopus glue on Amazon is 15 minutes from my house. Stopped by there today and got the glue. They had some concerns about using it for the glass. They suggested glueing the glass on first. Said if the screen is not water tight the glue could seep into the screen a ruin it. Guess it is very viscous. Also said that the glue's strength comes from a lot of surface area contact and the small edge might not be enough area. The also had some 1mm wide double sided tape, said it is used for putting letters on the backs of cars. I am making 2, will try the glue on one and the tape on the other. Just thought I'd pass along their thoughts.
Howdy Howdy,

I think I made mention of this already but to better clarify, there really isn't a "wrong" way to do this. There's effective and there is less effective. The end goal here is maintain a bond for the best and longest withstanding protection for your modified screen. Surface area is totally a factor at play in terms of adhesion. However, the stresses on the screen will be entirely through from front to back, into the bevel.

To address the concern of glue damaging glass. All glass is porous, the notion that your guy is speaking to is that certain glue will impact the clarity of the glass in the place where glue is applied IF EVER you remove the glass from the body. Here's the gnarly thing, in the temperament process for Gorilla 3 there is a separate coating ON the glass that makes it extremely scratch resistant. This also floods the pour of the glasses surface.

All of this is really to say Octo glue is best suited for the application of glass adhered directly to or above any screen. Specifically because it cures clear and is non-obstructive , it doesn't cure "solid" and it will hold the non-porous surface of the glass firmly.
I personally would avoid the automotive tape because of it's color and thickness. Also I would be concerned about something like dust adhering to it and then having, like, this permanent fiber leering out from my screen, y'know? Unsightly.
BUT.... THIS DOES make for a better way to adhere the screen to the body. Rather than using hot glue. you could buffer that potential issue of threads or dust with a bit of 1" felt tape cut down. OH mannnnnn. you got me excited!!
Hey Sudomodonites,
Aspiring industrial designer looking to make some modifications to the system housing.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests