Sota's Game Pi 3 / Raspberry Boy 3 [Raspberry Pi 3 Game Boy] (Completed!)

Show off your completed Game Boy Zero, or post your build logs here!
sotasystems

Re: Sota's Game Pi 3 / Raspberry Boy 3 [Raspberry Pi 3 Game Boy] (Completed!)

Post by sotasystems » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:58 am

kite wrote:I don't think that is true, it is still PWM audio driven by the CPU, there is no audio processor the only thing is there is more CPU power available to drive the PWM audio with less stutters but it's still lower quality than a DAC, other than that the Pi3 is good if you want to play N64 or PSX
Yes this is why I put "real" in quotes. I meant to say that you already have a dedicated audio port out of the box instead of having to solder wires to the PWM out of a Pi zero and changing configuration accordingly. ;) Yes, I admit, it is an easy thing to do, but the fact still is that you don't need to on a Pi 3. :)
Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to inform you that I am currently moving very far away, and therefore I am very busy.

UPDATE: I am still alive! My ISP is setting up my internet on the 19th of January at my new place, explaining my offline-ness.

If you write me a PM, I will very likely take some time to respond.

Also, my 2nd build will soon go on, so if you've been following it, please stay tuned! :)

Many thanks for your understanding!

sotasystems

Post by sotasystems » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:39 am

kite wrote:Nice :) Sorry I'm pedantic it just implied differently to me but you're right!
It's all good ;)
If I think about it, I should have been more specific in the first place :)
Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to inform you that I am currently moving very far away, and therefore I am very busy.

UPDATE: I am still alive! My ISP is setting up my internet on the 19th of January at my new place, explaining my offline-ness.

Also, my 2nd build will soon go on, so if you've been following it, please stay tuned! :)

DoggieWokkie

Re: Sota's Game Pi 3 / Raspberry Boy 3 [Raspberry Pi 3 Game Boy] (WIP)

Post by DoggieWokkie » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:21 am

sotasystems wrote:
Then next up was audio. :) I soldered wires in all possible ways to my amp only to hear terrible static noise/bad sound quality in every constelation I have tried, untill my friend thaught me about pickup noises, static pickup etc. and I sucessfully removed all static by keeping wires short, doing proper grounding, laying wires differently, so they won't interfere etc.

Long story short, it took me a long time to have it working perfectly, but at least it is perfect now. :D
Is there any chance you could elaborate on how you solved this? Audio noise is my biggest hurdle at the moment.

JoshL

Post by JoshL » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:45 am

Which pads did you use for audio? I'm using a Pi 2 and am having heaps of audio problems.

Thanks!

144TECH

Post by 144TECH » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:33 pm

Did you hook up an extra ''Composite Out'' cable onto the existing RCA that goes to the ''3.5'' Screen ?! LoL.. :o
* Very Rare * GBZ 640x480 v3 Stock Looks 6000MAH
http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=4863

sotasystems

Post by sotasystems » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:52 pm

144TECH wrote:Did you hook up an extra ''Composite Out'' cable onto the existing RCA that goes to the ''3.5'' Screen ?! LoL.. :o
Yup. Need a transistor and a couple of resistors for that to work OK

144TECH

Post by 144TECH » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:11 pm

A diode and a resistor will be fine too

Schöne abend :mrgreen:
* Very Rare * GBZ 640x480 v3 Stock Looks 6000MAH
http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=4863

WilsonB

Post by WilsonB » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:07 pm

This is one of the sexiest Raspberry Pi 3 ver , I have seen..
My clear GameBoy won and shipping from China ebay.. ;-)

Researching this for weeks and I stubbled across these important links..
This is a shell that allows you to fit a full Pi 3 w/ ports still en-tact. Problem is trying to get one here. When trying to get more info, the guy says use google translate.. ;-(
https://world.taobao.com/item/542886232 ... 8.4.k8xkUD

Here's someone elses version of GameBoy Pi3, might get some additional ideas out of it;
http://imgur.com/a/lhY1x

WilsonB

Post by WilsonB » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:26 pm

Tok_Tok wrote:Thank you for responding.

I did as you said and it registers the x axis as well as the y axis in the serial monitor. I filled in the numbers i got from there and the stuttering is much less now. But when I test it in windows the cross in the test still won't go to the upper left and lower right corner.. I switched the the wires of the analog stick with A1 and A0 but that didn't help. I know I wired it right because when I control my mouse in windows with it, it works fine. So maybe it's a windows thing, I will try and test it when my housing is finished.

I'm building this if you're interested:

Did you start/finish this project with the posted case design? Is there 3D files posted? Where can I get the case w/ buttons? Is there a writeup somewhere?

dbak85

Post by dbak85 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:02 am

Hi,

Great build. It inspired me in many ways. the only question I have is how did you get the battery cover to close properly afterwards?

I cannot really figure it out from your photos. I was planning to use magnets to replace the latch, but the sd card will be protruding from that side and having neodymiums next to an sd card does not seem like a good idea to me. :lol: