Wii U Gamepad zero/gamepi project thread

Got an idea for a project? Found a cool project you want to share? Post it here!
Racerboy

Re: Wii U Gamepad zero/gamepi project thread

Post by Racerboy » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:30 pm

My TM062RDH03 came in today! :D

I'm going to get a Wii U Gamepad Touchscreen Digitizer (and just cut the cable off of it) so the screen is both protected and has a bezel around it! I just measured my roommate's gamepad, the bezel will fit perfectly on this display and not leave any silver showing if placed correctly, no electrical tape needed!

grenade44 wrote:Will a pi 2 fit in? I haven't bought any parts yet but would like to have ago at this project.
Would need to remove the stock battery holder and use a LiPo battery, definitely. After that's removed, you have a little less than 1/2" of height to work with (11 to 12mm). This means you would have to remove the USB and Ethernet ports (about 21mm tall) from your Pi 2, as well as your GPIO pins if you want to make them usable.

Also, this is what I got for the pinout of the flex cables for the controls:

lotus1994

Post by lotus1994 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:24 pm

Racerboy wrote:My TM062RDH03 came in today! :D

I'm going to get a Wii U Gamepad Touchscreen Digitizer (and just cut the cable off of it) so the screen is both protected and has a bezel around it! I just measured my roommate's gamepad, the bezel will fit perfectly on this display and not leave any silver showing if placed correctly, no electrical tape needed!
that bezel pops off real easy. Remove it and spray paint it. That is what I did as I am working with a white Wii U.

Awesome stuff so far! Thanks for the pinout!

gnarlynick

Post by gnarlynick » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:30 pm

Did you have to cut away any of the ledge around where the screen sits? I tried mocking my 6.2" screen bought from eBay and it doesn't quite fit within the constraints of the existing ledges where the stock screen would sit.

Racerboy

Post by Racerboy » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:16 pm

gnarlynick wrote:
Did you have to cut away any of the ledge around where the screen sits? I tried mocking my 6.2" screen bought from eBay and it doesn't quite fit within the constraints of the existing ledges where the stock screen would sit.
I only cut the perpendicular walls that used to center the old screen in place (which had the foam pads on them, all gone). I did not modify the size of the window for the display, if that's what you're asking :)

We have the same display so it should fit yours just as well as it fits mine!

The image above shows the positioning of the display. The red arrows indicate the direction of force applied by my fingers so that the display rests on the points of contact circled in green. The blue lines are the cut marks from when I trimmed the "fence" that used to be there (also visible in the second image).

I don't have a power supply that I can use to backlight the display and really show the true active window size, but from the looks of it, the display should fit perfectly in the bezel.

gnarlynick

Post by gnarlynick » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:15 pm

Racerboy wrote:
gnarlynick wrote:
I only cut the perpendicular walls that used to center the old screen in place (which had the foam pads on them, all gone). I did not modify the size of the window for the display, if that's what you're asking :)

We have the same display so it should fit yours just as well as it fits mine!

The image above shows the positioning of the display. The red arrows indicate the direction of force applied by my fingers so that the display rests on the points of contact circled in green. The blue lines are the cut marks from when I trimmed the "fence" that used to be there (also visible in the second image).
I was asking about cutting away the "fence" which looks like you did. I only cut away the vertical fence as my screen fit in between the two horizontal ones but I don't feel it is perfectly centered so I may as well cut away the whole thing. Thanks for answering, I couldn't tell from your initial pictures if you had to cut that away and I was certain we had the same screens and mine didn't fit without cutting the "fence". Now the next task is to figure out how to fit this display control board in as well as a pi 3. Probably gonna have to lose the battery well.

Racerboy

Post by Racerboy » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:56 am

gnarlynick wrote:I was asking about cutting away the "fence" which looks like you did. I only cut away the vertical fence as my screen fit in between the two horizontal ones but I don't feel it is perfectly centered so I may as well cut away the whole thing. Thanks for answering, I couldn't tell from your initial pictures if you had to cut that away and I was certain we had the same screens and mine didn't fit without cutting the "fence". Now the next task is to figure out how to fit this display control board in as well as a pi 3. Probably gonna have to lose the battery well.
Yeah I just cut it all away to make room, was doing me no good being there.

If you want to wait on it, @kite is making and I believe currently testing a controller board for this display which should be much smaller than the one in that eBay link. It'll only contain the necessary components to work with a Pi so it might save on power, and might also allow room for a bigger battery.

What do you mean lose the battery? Were you planning on using the original battery holder and a replacement gamepad battery like myself?

evertith

Post by evertith » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:06 am

Hey guys! I'm new to the forums. Originally I was going to do the GBZ build, but I was sitting in my recliner one night and looked over at my WiiU gamepad that was charging and had the biggest lightbulb moment in a long time. Of course I should have known a lot of other people have had the same lightbulb moment. lol

So, I've been trying to research this screen thing. Obviously @Racerboy's TM062RDH03 fits well and supposedly @kite is making a driver for it. But in the spirit of options, do you think this would work?

Adafruit has the 40-pin TTL breakout, and based on Panelook's data, the HSD062IDW1-A00 is a TTL display, which is cheaper on eBay than the TM062RDH03. Then, maybe you could use these HDMI breakouts for the mini and regular HDMI ports to make the connection from the driver to the Pi Zero?

Is my research correct? Or am I just way off?

kite

Re:

Post by kite » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:35 am

evertith wrote:Adafruit has the 40-pin TTL breakout, and based on Panelook's data, the HSD062IDW1-A00 is a TTL display, which is cheaper on eBay than the TM062RDH03. Then, maybe you could use these HDMI breakouts for the mini and regular HDMI ports to make the connection from the driver to the Pi Zero?

You will have a fairly hard time connecting the 60pin LCD cable into the 40pin adafruit adapter, these aren't the kind of wires you can hand solder :) Apart from that if it wasn't an issue then yes that would work!
Stock clearance - CLOSED: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=12064
Kite's Mailing List: https://goo.gl/forms/e97uUvPOfUxPWdz82
Kite's FAQ: https://kiteretro.com/faq/

ImageImageImageImageImage

evertith

Post by evertith » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:49 am

kite wrote:
evertith wrote:Adafruit has the 40-pin TTL breakout, and based on Panelook's data, the HSD062IDW1-A00 is a TTL display, which is cheaper on eBay than the TM062RDH03. Then, maybe you could use these HDMI breakouts for the mini and regular HDMI ports to make the connection from the driver to the Pi Zero?

You will have a fairly hard time connecting the 60pin LCD cable into the 40pin adafruit adapter, these aren't the kind of wires you can hand solder :) Apart from that if it wasn't an issue then yes that would work!
Ah! I didn't even realize the LCD was 60pin. Yes, that would be an impossible task. Lol. Thanks for the info!

Racerboy

Post by Racerboy » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:10 pm

For those interested, this guy posted another video on his project this morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvppbsGhzXY