Pi-Tendo: GBA Pi-SP Zero

Got an idea for a project? Found a cool project you want to share? Post it here!
retro_ninja

Pi-Tendo: GBA Pi-SP Zero

Post by retro_ninja » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:13 am

Good day to you guys. Let me present to you my own design, the GBA Pi-SP Zero. Please give me some feedback and suggestions to improve the board. Also, i have no prototype yet, sorry. This is mainly influenced by Wermy's Mintypi and Helder's works. A big thanks to both of them. :D :D

Features:
- Type - A USB port
- can use SPI LCD or Composite LCD
- Hall effect sensor turns off the LCD instead of shutting down the rPi. (tho it is optional)
- external micro SD card breakout
- LED indicator for Low Battery
- 3.5mm headphone jack (optional)
- L2 and R2 buttons (optional)
- PSP joystick (optional)

PS: i can give you the gerber files if you want to make this on your own and also to help me with improvements of the board.

PPS: english is not my primary language. :)
Attachments
Pi-SP FRONT.png
Pi-SP FRONT.png (379.52 KiB) Viewed 5407 times
Pi-SP BACK.png
Pi-SP BACK.png (346.75 KiB) Viewed 5407 times

mackemint

Re: Pi-Tendo: GBA Pi-SP Zero

Post by mackemint » Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:48 am

Looks excellent, I'm definitely interested in this project.
Hall effect sensor is a great idea, however I wonder if the placement just below the analog stick is the best one?

Spyder

Post by Spyder » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:06 am

Pretty interesting and you crammed a ton in there and put most of it in the front. Have you held one of these GBASPs before? Its not very big and that joystick would get in the way and I'm not even sure how R2/L2 would even possibly work either.

mackemint

Post by mackemint » Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:44 am

Spyder wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:06 am
Have you held one of these GBASPs before? Its not very big and that joystick would get in the way and I'm not even sure how R2/L2 would even possibly work either.
How do you mean the joystick would get in the way? It's a bit far down maybe but not unreasonably much so compared to designs such as Kites Circuit Sword.
The placement of R2/L2 is comparable as well, I think it's a clever way of adding another optional two buttons. :)