Raspberry pi zero gameboy cartridge.

Got an idea for a project? Found a cool project you want to share? Post it here!
RealmLord

Raspberry pi zero gameboy cartridge.

Post by RealmLord » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:27 am

I had an idea to put a solder a raspberry pi to a game boy cartridge and than make a 3d printed cartridge enclosure, so that I could use It like a flash card but it could use the raspberry pi zero to play more that just gameboy games. It could use the gameboy screen and controls but just run of the pi. I know the gameboy doesn't have enough button for some emulators, not to mention that this is probably not possible but I thought I would get other opinions. I would like to build something like this that could be plugged into any gameboy without any modifications to the gameboy other than better screen. Would something like this be possible, has it been done or am I just losing my mind. I thought about maby making something that connects to the raspberry pi/gameboy cartridge that could add extra buttons but If even just the pi is possible I would be happy. I realize that this is probably not possible without mega modification to the gameboy and there's a lot to go into designing something like this but I figure I'd give it a shot and get some options, any input good or bad would be appreciated, sorry for the long post.

Dividion

Re: Raspberry pi zero gameboy cartridge.

Post by Dividion » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:47 am

Sounds like you might be better off with just an Everdrive cartridge.
If you want to play other systems and use the Pi's GPIO to communicate through the GB cartridge connector so that it looks like a GB cartridge... that's an awfully ambitious undertaking. It'd be pretty awesome, especially since it should then work on any system that accepts GB games. But there's probably a reason why it hasn't been done yet, aside from the fact that a Pi zero won't fit inside a normal cartridge anyway, like how you'd still probably need to boot the Pi before turning on the GB so that it's ready to communicate when the GB tries to access it.
Check out my store for GBZ boards and accessories: http://pocketadventures.com

RealmLord

Re. Dividion.

Post by RealmLord » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:02 pm

Ya I figured there it take a lot I just thought it would be cool, but I will probably just stick with a everdrive. I didn't think about some of that. Thanks for a answer.