RPi Alternatives

Got an idea for a project? Found a cool project you want to share? Post it here!
Kilren

Re: RPi Alternatives

Post by Kilren » Sat May 14, 2016 11:35 pm

crispy_tofu wrote:That's a shame that the Pine64 isn't very stable, it looks like quite a versatile machine for what it is... :(
True, but remember that it is brand spanking new. Almost nothing technology related comes sparkling right when it is released. It'll get better if it gets a community.

MattTheHuman

Post by MattTheHuman » Sun May 15, 2016 5:12 am

Kilren wrote:I just looked at the price tag on the lattepandas. Ouch.
Yeah, I managed to get mine during the kickstarter, cost me around £100 with shipping.

I've only just turned it on last night, and it seems rather interesting.
The power isn't too great and if you're using power hungry USBs, they tend to turn off.

The main reason is I'm a .net developer so its more in line with what I do.
I won't be putting it into a Gameboy, its way too big.

Kilren

Post by Kilren » Sun May 15, 2016 10:44 am

MattTheHuman wrote:
Kilren wrote:I just looked at the price tag on the lattepandas. Ouch.
Yeah, I managed to get mine during the kickstarter, cost me around £100 with shipping.

I've only just turned it on last night, and it seems rather interesting.
The power isn't too great and if you're using power hungry USBs, they tend to turn off.

The main reason is I'm a .net developer so its more in line with what I do.
I won't be putting it into a Gameboy, its way too big.
Huh, that's an interesting problem with the power draw from the usbs. That's sort of crippling in some applications

MattTheHuman

Post by MattTheHuman » Sun May 15, 2016 12:36 pm

Kilren wrote:Huh, that's an interesting problem with the power draw from the usbs. That's sort of crippling in some applications
Yeah. I was pretty disappointed when I heard about this. Kinda does stop a few of my project ideas that I had for it.

I'm currently thinking of making it a smart hub for my house. Programming all the sensors for lighting, heating and security.

Kilren

Post by Kilren » Sun May 15, 2016 3:22 pm

MattTheHuman wrote:I'm currently thinking of making it a smart hub for my house. Programming all the sensors for lighting, heating and security.
I've been really wanting to do something similar, but I have been lazy. I think the rpi3 would be a better choice though because it already has the community. The thing that really gets me is those stupid smart light bulbs. Why the freak are they making it into light bulbs that eventually die?! Put it in a smart light socket that stays, and the bulbs change as needed.

MattTheHuman

Post by MattTheHuman » Sun May 15, 2016 4:37 pm

Kilren wrote:I've been really wanting to do something similar, but I have been lazy. I think the rpi3 would be a better choice though because it already has the community. The thing that really gets me is those stupid smart light bulbs. Why the freak are they making it into light bulbs that eventually die?! Put it in a smart light socket that stays, and the bulbs change as needed.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13 ... escription Something like this?
I'm sure I've seen another type of this but this is where its hopefully heading.

Kilren

Post by Kilren » Sun May 15, 2016 5:08 pm

MattTheHuman wrote:https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13 ... escription Something like this?
I'm sure I've seen another type of this but this is where it's hopefully heading.
Now that is on the right track, though I still don't agree with that price tag for what is actually in there (it is incredibly simple electronics that are already being produced on mass scale). That's really cool actually. My biggest beef has constantly been the tie into a forced product, instead of a general item that allows versatility.

Amazon are selling those for $49 also (sorry kickstarter backers, you didn't get a deal what so ever!). Emberlight - Amazon