ICMF's Pi Zero in a custom case.

Got an idea for a project? Found a cool project you want to share? Post it here!
vrpc

Re: ICMF's Pi Zero in a custom case.

Post by vrpc » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:56 am

Why not look into the CM3 and a custom PCB? Then you could use a 4.3/5/5.5" screen using DPI (parallel RGB) which would mean a thinner screen and lower power consumption. Also relocating all power and audio to the custom pcb as well. What about a analog joystick too (for some N64)?

I should also suggest you look at the ODROID C0, I think it is vastly better suited for this project. It is a quad core, and has built in lipo charging, a power button, and better audio output.

http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products ... 5326484280

Another option is nanopi. http://www.nanopi.org/index2.html

They have a LCD connector right on the board and all other features built right in needing no other parts, net even a MCU for button control.

ICMF

Post by ICMF » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:38 pm

Guess I'm overdue for an update on this. :)

As mentioned in the other thread, I've been largely stalled waiting for components. I have made a few minor tweaks, though.

First up, the battery has been moved to the side. I *wanted* it to be in the middle for balance, but that just wasn't going to work out - makes it harder to locate everything else, and would require a thicker device.

Next, I'm debating between the higher capacity 906090 lipo cell, and the cell pulled from a powerbank. The 906090 is bigger and bulkier, but it's 6000mah (presumably - haven't tested it yet); the powerbank cell is smaller and would let me shave a couple of mm off the device, but it's 5000mah. I got 5 hrs from the powerbank cell, which is pretty acceptable; theoretically that would mean 6 hrs from the 906090... is an extra hour really worth the extra bulk? :?

I'm also debating between the Pi3 and Pi0. I've got a lot of space on the right side of the device. I should be able to squeeze a stripped Pi3 in pretty easily. But then I've got to add some sort of cooling solution, and analog sticks, and L2/R2 buttons, and I'm not really sure it's worth it.

Anyway... pics:
Case with the 906090 battery.Show
There's *just* enough room for the wires, but not much else. This is mostly intentional, since I'm going for the smallest form factor possible, but still... it's a squeeze.

Case with the Powerbank cellShow
Much smaller, so it gives a lot more breathing room. Although it's mostly empty space anyway, so is there any benefit?

Back removed w. 906090Show
The powerboost goes below the Pi. It might even squeeze between the LCD and battery, though that could lead to heat issues (does the powerboost get hot?)

Back removed w. Powerbank LipoShow
Actually, looking at this render, it'd be really handy if I moved the headphone jack from under the Dpad. I should be able to move the Pro Micro and powerboost over there, which would definitely give me room for a Pi3... Hmmm....

Roller Toaster

Post by Roller Toaster » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:04 pm

If you have the battery offset, is there a worry that it will feel unbalanced to hold?

ICMF

Post by ICMF » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:36 am

Yes.
ICMF wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:38 pm
First up, the battery has been moved to the side. I *wanted* it to be in the middle for balance, but that just wasn't going to work out - makes it harder to locate everything else, and would require a thicker device.

RetroRocket

Post by RetroRocket » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:41 am

ICMF wrote:
I know what you mean, from an organizational perspective, but I don't think it'd be a noticeable imbalance with as much as is going in there.
ICMF wrote:
Next, I'm debating between the higher capacity 906090 lipo cell, and the cell pulled from a powerbank. The 906090 is bigger and bulkier, but it's 6000mah (presumably - haven't tested it yet); the powerbank cell is smaller and would let me shave a couple of mm off the device, but it's 5000mah. I got 5 hrs from the powerbank cell, which is pretty acceptable; theoretically that would mean 6 hrs from the 906090... is an extra hour really worth the extra bulk? :?
Yes :3 I'd say if it fits without adverse effects, go bigger. Especially if you're going to make its support housing from scratch
ICMF wrote:
I'm also debating between the Pi3 and Pi0. I've got a lot of space on the right side of the device. I should be able to squeeze a stripped Pi3 in pretty easily. But then I've got to add some sort of cooling solution, and analog sticks, and L2/R2 buttons, and I'm not really sure it's worth it.
I think your design right now is quite elegant for D-Pad/BAXYLR controls. You could certainly add a stick but it might detract and distract from the cleanliness and DMG feel. Plus, how often are you going to want to play the PSX or N64 that work well on Pi3? I'd say stick with this design and maybe go back and modify it for a second project.
ICMF wrote:
Much smaller, so it gives a lot more breathing room. Although it's mostly empty space anyway, so is there any benefit?

Only if you need that space to install mounting bosses for either the battery itself or other components. How much space do you have with the bigger cell? a couple mm for thin walls?
ICMF wrote:
Back removed w. 906090Show
The powerboost goes below the Pi. It might even squeeze between the LCD and battery, though that could lead to heat issues (does the powerboost get hot?)

The PB 1000C gets moderately warm from my experience. as warm or a little hotter than the Pi0, so I wouldn't have it directly touching anything, especially not the battery.
ICMF wrote:
Back removed w. Powerbank LipoShow
Actually, looking at this render, it'd be really handy if I moved the headphone jack from under the Dpad. I should be able to move the Pro Micro and powerboost over there, which would definitely give me room for a Pi3... Hmmm....

muniosi

Post by muniosi » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:16 am

This is cool! Looking forward to more progress.
ICMF wrote:

I'm not sure, but could the empty space help with airflow and cooling?
I've just finished my milk.

J-Malice

Post by J-Malice » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:01 am

Just use some small metal weights to balance against the battery.

Hackmi

Post by Hackmi » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:44 am

What program did you design it in? 123D, Fusion 360??

Thanks!

ICMF

Post by ICMF » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:14 pm

It lives!

I ran a test print of the shell yesterday to get a feel for the ergonomics. Fairly happy, though it does need some tweaks.
SpoilerShow
First, you'll note the analog stick cutouts. I'm still debating whether to do a Pi3 or Pi0, so I included the cutouts just to see how I liked them. Good thing, since the ergonomics kinda suck - the DPad/ABXY aren't bad, but the analog sticks would be really uncomfortable to use for any length of time. Nudging everything up by 5mm would be better.

Also worth noting: the 'notches' on the right analog cutout. That's my original start/select location, so if I ditch the analog sticks, that's where start and select will be. If I keep the analog sticks, I think the start/select buttons need to be a little closer together. The DMG has them 25mm edge to edge; these are 45mm, which is just a little too far to mash both buttons with your thumb.
SpoilerShow
Size-wise, it's fairly large. Not massive, but I wouldn't want it any bigger. And unfortunately, there's not much space inside to trim - there's a few mm between the edge of the screen and the buttons, but that's about it. Plus, I've made it 198.9mm wide, and I can't shrink it enough to make it worth losing that easter egg. :)
SpoilerShow
I've got two versions of the back piece - a 'thin' version for the Pi0 and a 'thick' one for the Pi3. The Pi3 version extends the walls another 8mm to give me space for a fan and air circulation. It's about the same thickness as a DMG, but I'm going for a modern 'production' feel and it just feels too clunky at that size, so I'm strongly leaning towards the thinner option with a Pi0. Fun side-note, if I go with the 'thin' version, it'll be almost exactly the same size as a VHS cassette.
SpoilerShow
On the plus side, it has plenty of room for a Pi3. Might not even have to strip it.

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:53 am

Sticking to this post to see the progress.
Good luck !
Follow me on instagram Image