Final Fantasy Tactics Advance Machine

Got an idea for a project? Found a cool project you want to share? Post it here!
Kichi

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance Machine

Post by Kichi » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:26 pm

Hey there new friends! I have had a dream to make a console that plays specifically final fantasy tactics advance and nothing else. I've been in love with the game since childhood. I am so incredibly new to this scene and while I was getting started I realized I know nothing about soldering, circuitry, or any of that. I watched countless youtube videos about circuitry and building consoles with the pi to maybe somehow get an inkling of how it all works and the more I watch the more I want to be a part of this. I just ordered a raspi 3, a wall outlet power source designed for it, and a basic case just so I can play around with it and learn more about how it works. I have a friend who owns a 3d printer and as graciously agreed to allow me to use it to print whatever I might need.

2 questions:
1. Where do I go to learn about soldering? Before I even touch it or buy a kit anything I'd like to educate myself first.
2. What would be the next step to creating the ffta console? design the case? order parts? I'm excited and overwhelmed and I want try not to order random stuff without knowing exactly what I'm going to do with it.

I don't know if this is the correct board for this type of post, but I sincerely appreciate any comments or feedback.
Thank you very much :)

dryja123

Re: Final Fantasy Tactics Advance Machine

Post by dryja123 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:40 pm

welcome! Don't forget to drop the GBA bios into the proper folder so FFTA plays properly.

For soldering help, you can start by reading abrugsch's guide: http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1984

YouTube tutorials are great too! Here's the one that really made soldering "click for me: https://youtu.be/QKbJxytERvg

As far as advice on what you should buy first, I'd suggest not buying anything until you have an idea of what you want to do. That will come to you once you consume more information and you become familiar with what's out there. No sense in wasting your money.

I'm looking forward to reading your posts and following your journey. It's a fun one!