Waveshare 5 Inch LCD (Clones, or original) Portables?

Got an idea for a project? Found a cool project you want to share? Post it here!
Hackmi

Waveshare 5 Inch LCD (Clones, or original) Portables?

Post by Hackmi » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:30 am

For a while now I've had one of the cheap 800x480 Waveshare LCD clones, the 5 inch one's. I've been wondering if there are any portable projects for it, specifically one that has buttons. I'm planning on using this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP82q9A ... ackingShow "tutorial," and creating some kind of button thing at the bottom. Since it's open there anyways. Just wondering if anyone has any tips?

Thanks.

ICMF

Re: Waveshare 5 Inch LCD (Clones, or original) Portables?

Post by ICMF » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:58 am

I'm using a 5" waveshare HDMI screen in my build with a custom shell: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2800

Retro Rocket is also using a 5" screen in his custom Orange Pi build: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3405

And dbak85 us using a 5" waveshare in his GBA-themed custom case: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3916

Tips would depend somewhat on the screen (HDMI vs GPIO), but... you'll need to set the resolution in config.txt in order to get it to display properly (follow the Waveshare guide). And if you want to remove the touch panel, I've done a guide on that: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2744

Hackmi

Re: Waveshare 5 Inch LCD (Clones, or original) Portables?

Post by Hackmi » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:53 am

I've done that a while ago, thanks for the links!
The hardest bit for me is the buttons. Getting them to not fall around, I'm pretty bad at 3d modelling, though I have some exp, I definitely need to work on that.
Good luck with yours, it looks awesome.