BassTop SNES Case Modifications and Help Needed

Got an idea for a project? Found a cool project you want to share? Post it here!
sixteenbit

BassTop SNES Case Modifications and Help Needed

Post by sixteenbit » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:22 am

I bought this SNES Raspberry Pi Case and love it but the buttons are for a hard shutdown and reset. I'm wanting to modify it to run a safe shutdown but I'm not sure what these buttons are going to. The traces go to a chip then the board itself goes to the 5v and ground on the pi. Which is another issue I'd like to fix. I've read people are having issues with low voltage and it's due to the pi being powered via GPIO. I'm going to add a powerstrip to help fix that.
IMG_2479.jpg
IMG_2479.jpg (1.16 MiB) Viewed 6647 times
Button traceShow
IMG_2594.jpg
IMG_2594.jpg (1.33 MiB) Viewed 6647 times
BacksideShow
IMG_2595.jpg
IMG_2595.jpg (1.48 MiB) Viewed 6647 times
Any help is much appreciated!

EDIT

Thanks to HoolyHoo's help, I ended up scraping the board with the ic and wired my power and buttons for power/reset directly to the pi. I did end up writing an install for the python script HoolyHoo mentioned.
IMG_2608.jpg
IMG_2608.jpg (2.22 MiB) Viewed 6582 times
Last edited by sixteenbit on Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HoolyHoo

Re: BassTop SNES Case Modifications and Help Need

Post by HoolyHoo » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:58 am

sixteenbit wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:22 am
I bought this SNES Raspberry Pi Case and love it but the buttons are for a hard shutdown and reset. I'm wanting to modify it to run a safe shutdown but I'm not sure what these buttons are going to. The traces go to a chip then the board itself goes to the 5v and ground on the pi. Which is another issue I'd like to fix. I've read people are having issues with low voltage and it's due to the pi being powered via GPIO. I'm going to add a powerstrip to help fix that.

IMG_2479.jpg
Button traceShow
IMG_2594.jpg
BacksideShow
IMG_2595.jpg
Any help is much appreciated!
What’s the lettering on the ic? It seems to me the ic does the shutdown and reset. Also there’s a transistor for switching the fan, my guess. You could always desolder the ic, use the ic solder pad that corresponds to the switches and run that to a gpio. Doesn’t seem too hard, just needs some probing and testing ;)

sixteenbit

Re: BassTop SNES Case Modifications and Help Needed

Post by sixteenbit » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:08 am

EnhanceShow
IMG_2597.jpg
IMG_2597.jpg (983.02 KiB) Viewed 6620 times
Thanks HoolyHoo - I think I have a good idea how to do the safe shutdown portion but I'm not sure how it's going to work with the power button as in powering on/off

HoolyHoo

Post by HoolyHoo » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:26 am

sixteenbit wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:08 am
EnhanceShow
IMG_2597.jpg
Thanks HoolyHoo - I think I have a good idea how to do the safe shutdown portion but I'm not sure how it's going to work with the power button as in powering on/off
The lettering is a little blurry so can't really make it out. One solution would be to tap that switch to GPIO 3 and use a script like this:
https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic ... ple#p22341
GPIO 3 is special in that it will wake the pi up after a shutdown when grounded. The script utilizes the same GPIO to do the shutdown. :D

sixteenbit

Post by sixteenbit » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:34 am

🤘awesome, going to try this out tonight.

kupan787

Post by kupan787 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:31 pm

sixteenbit wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:34 am
🤘awesome, going to try this out tonight.
Sorry to res this post up, but just wondering how it all went, and what parts you needed to buy.

I just picked up one of these cases, and would love to wire up a safe shutdown as you have, but can't quite make out the parts you used, or where all the wires are going.

Thanks for any help.

sixteenbit

Post by sixteenbit » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:42 pm

I didn't buy any extra parts except the helder power strip i had layout around. I basically ditched the board that's in there. The L shape one. I wired the buttons to the pins needed for the script and everything works as expected.

However, I recommend maybe returning this case and ordering this one https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07G34TTKL/ ... _lig_dp_it. It's almost exactly like it and has safe shutdown and reset + comes with a controller.

HoolyHoo

Post by HoolyHoo » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:07 pm

sixteenbit wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:42 pm
I didn't buy any extra parts except the helder power strip i had layout around. I basically ditched the board that's in there. The L shape one. I wired the buttons to the pins needed for the script and everything works as expected.

However, I recommend maybe returning this case and ordering this one https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07G34TTKL/ ... _lig_dp_it. It's almost exactly like it and has safe shutdown and reset + comes with a controller.
I concur with the Retroflag case. Don't use the script that is recommended on their website, however. Use this one: https://github.com/crcerror/retroflag-picase

Here are the benefits from the GitHub readme:

Code: Select all

RetroFlag Pi-Case Safe Shutdown

Multi Switch Shutdown with advanced shutdown features for more natural behaviour:

If you press restart if emulator is currently running, then you will be kicked back to ES main menu
If you press restart in ES main screen, ES will be restartet (no reboot!), good for quick saving metadata or internal saves.
If you press power-off then Raspberry will shutdown
All metadata is always saved

Turn switch "SAFE SHUTDOWN" on PCB to ON.