Retro FC "168 in 1" Mod for Raspberry Pi Zero

Got an idea for a project? Found a cool project you want to share? Post it here!
jocelyn

Retro FC "168 in 1" Mod for Raspberry Pi Zero

Post by jocelyn » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:09 am

So I found the Retro FC "168 in 1" handheld on Gearbest for just 20$ and wondered if you could get it to work with an Pi Zero somehow. The input and screen is really good for the low price, but I dont have to knowledge to decide if this is worth a shot or not, what do you guys think? Would it be possible to reuse it?

and here are some screenshots of interest from that video:
Video taking it apart https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxcrHGZMSZ4

Im2nelson4u

Re: Retro FC "168 in 1" Mod for Raspberry Pi Zero

Post by Im2nelson4u » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:54 am

I actually just finished building a unit using this shell and a pi zero w. In my opinion it isn't worth $20 for just the shell and the button pad. The screen isn't usable unless you find a pinout on the datasheet for it. The buttons and dpad are super mushy, they use really low quality silicone pads that I ended up just soldering mini tact switches to it. The plastic is kinda cheap and thin and the battery is small at 1000mah.

I ended up buying a 2.8in spi lcd, cut the pcb in half for the controls, and used a samsung cellphone 1800mah battery. Unless you have access to a 3d printer along with willing to spend money for all the extra specific parts required for this build, it isn't worth $20.

The only thing I like about this unit is its size and how cute it looks next to an actual gameboy. If I had to go back I'd honestly just do gameboy pocket build or even a rs-97 if I could get the shell for cheap

If ur interested in pictures of what my unit looks like hit me up on the sudomod discord (Nellified).