Waveshare Game HAT - replace buttons and joystick

Got an idea for a project? Found a cool project you want to share? Post it here!
alf67

Re: Waveshare Game HAT - replace buttons and joystick

Post by alf67 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:38 am

Ah yes, this makes sense! Thank you very much! I already supposed to be like that, but was a little irritated, as you have other colors of the caps on the pic of this beautiful black case on the stl download page. I have just two blue, two green and one white and one red button.

thanks a lot!

Waiting for the adafruit delivery now - they will take their shipping time from US, I guess.

3D print is ready to be instructed.

all the best!

Alf

PS: One more thing - as I saw, you have added air openings on the top - does that fit the needs of the cooling of a 3b+ under intense usage? Cause these guys tend to get a little warm with time, which result in annoying throttle.

HoolyHoo

Post by HoolyHoo » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:59 am

alf67 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:38 am
Ah yes, this makes sense! Thank you very much! I already supposed to be like that, but was a little irritated, as you have other colors of the caps on the pic of this beautiful black case on the stl download page. I have just two blue, two green and one white and one red button.

thanks a lot!

Waiting for the adafruit delivery now - they will take their shipping time from US, I guess.

3D print is ready to be instructed.

all the best!

Alf

PS: One more thing - as I saw, you have added air openings on the top - does that fit the needs of the cooling of a 3b+ under intense usage? Cause these guys tend to get a little warm with time, which result in annoying throttle.
I had a variety of colors of extra caps so I used the color combination that worked for me. You can buy them cheap as they are standard 12mm tact caps but of course it is not necessary if your ok with the colors the game hat comes with.

I just used a copper heat sink and it hasn’t been an issue. The glass transition temperature of petg is around 100 C. I made mine out of PLA which has a lower glass transition temperature and haven’t had any problems.

alf67

Post by alf67 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:09 am

I will go with greentec, which is based on lignine, guaranteed up to 115 degrees C, based on producer classification. Beneath that temps, the chip on the raspberry will already start to go up in flames :D

greetings,
Alf

PS: The color combination of your case is just classy, very beautiful, compliments!

bircoe

Post by bircoe » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:53 am

Just thought I'd share a pic of something I'm working on at the moment.

tomysteria

Post by tomysteria » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:29 pm

Hello,
I bought the amazing WaveShare GameHat 3D Printable Case STL's made by HoolyHoo.
I replaced the buttons by soft silicone buttons from Adafruit but the A button doesn't work anymore.
On the second picture, we can see a fragment of copper that was ripped off when I removed the original buttons.
IMG_20191121_232100.jpg
IMG_20191121_232100.jpg (2.3 MiB) Viewed 6868 times
IMG_20191121_232142.jpg
IMG_20191121_232142.jpg (2.52 MiB) Viewed 6868 times
How did you remove these buttons ?
There was some glue under the buttons and I had to tear off with a plier even after having desoldered them.
Was it the same for you ?
Thanks

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:23 pm

tomysteria wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:29 pm
Hello,
I bought the amazing WaveShare GameHat 3D Printable Case STL's made by HoolyHoo.
I replaced the buttons by soft silicone buttons from Adafruit but the A button doesn't work anymore.
On the second picture, we can see a fragment of copper that was ripped off when I removed the original buttons.
How did you remove these buttons ?
There was some glue under the buttons and I had to tear off with a plier even after having desoldered them.
Was it the same for you ?
Thanks

Scrape the trace I highlighted in orange and solder to the exposed copper which I circled in red. The green is a GND point so just one pin is fine and don't worry about the right side that is missing pads but be sure to scrape the trace as I said above.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

tomysteria

Post by tomysteria » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:18 am

I'm going to do that. Thanks !!

tomysteria

Post by tomysteria » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:49 am

Hello everyone! Thank you Helder. I followed your advice and it works now! :)

pvanderpoel

Post by pvanderpoel » Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:16 am

Wow! The case HoolyHoo made looks great! So I just bought the 3D print files.
If I understand correctly I have to replace the button switches with 8mm ones from adafruit or else the case won't fit.
I found the link to the correct 8mm switches.
However do I also need to buy new colored buttons? I found a package of round buttons on the adafruit website, however it's unclear to me if these buttons will fit on the new 8 mm switches.
@ HoolHoo: Can you please tell me where you bought those colored buttons, or even better, provide me with a link?

HoolyHoo

Post by HoolyHoo » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:02 am

pvanderpoel wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:16 am
Wow! The case HoolyHoo made looks great! So I just bought the 3D print files.
If I understand correctly I have to replace the button switches with 8mm ones from adafruit or else the case won't fit.
I found the link to the correct 8mm switches.
However do I also need to buy new colored buttons? I found a package of round buttons on the adafruit website, however it's unclear to me if these buttons will fit on the new 8 mm switches.
@ HoolHoo: Can you please tell me where you bought those colored buttons, or even better, provide me with a link?
Here is an assortment of caps. You can get it from aliexpress as well with just the caps if you don't mind waiting a while. Just search 12mm button caps.

https://www.amazon.com/OCR-Momentary-Ta ... 438&sr=8-4