Adding A Cartridge Reader to A Kite Project?

Got an idea for a project? Found a cool project you want to share? Post it here!
GrainBoy

Adding A Cartridge Reader to A Kite Project?

Post by GrainBoy » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:23 am

Wondering if it would be possible to add a Cartridge reader to have the option to play original GB/GBC/AGB cartridges as well as flash carts to a Kite Board or anything similar to Wermys Zero build? Has anyone done this yet? What kind of hardware/wiring would it take granted you could make room in the case? Any help is greatly appreciated. I love the idea of being able to play original games on a modded Pi build in addition to roms. Thanks!

Bluup

Re: Adding A Cartridge Reader to A Kite Project?

Post by Bluup » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:04 am

It's definitely doable however what you'd get at the end is a some hardware that would read and them dump a rom to a specific place on the SD card which the emulator will then be able to read so it wouldn't really be playing off the cartridge. To play off the cartridge would require either finding emulators with the support built in or modifying existing open source ones. No easy feat.

It really depends on how much effort you're willing to put into it as it can be done but would require some custom software as well as hardware. If you're still interested I can definitely point you in the right direction :).

GrainBoy

Re: Adding A Cartridge Reader to A Kite Project?

Post by GrainBoy » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:01 pm

Wow, thats amazing. I think I'm picking up what your putting down. So basically I could get a Cart Dumper similar to BennVenns on retromodding.com and it will essentially convert cartridge into a rom and dump it as such to be played through emulation software? Any direction is greatly appreciated too man.