Game Gear Raspberry Pi Mod Kit!

Want to show off your own project? Want to keep a build log of it? Post it here!
ZarcadeUK

Game Gear Raspberry Pi Mod Kit!

Post by ZarcadeUK » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:40 am

Wanted to share with everyone my pet project. I was always a fan of the Game Gear (Still best looking hand held!) and wanted to do something with it to help give it a new lease of life. With the imminent arrival of replica cases I though it the perfect time to share this with everyone.

Basically it is a drop in replacement custom PCB set for the original Game Gear shell. It supports two additional buttons and replaces the original LCD brightness wheel with a select button.

Ive used a 3.2" ili9341 LCD display which is a perfect fit once soldered directly to the PCB.

A 3D printed bracket is used to hold the two additional buttons in place.

I decided to add unused GPIO pins as breakout soldering points should anyone wish to add additional shoulder buttons in the future.

All inputs, audio output and LCD are driven through GPIO through the PCB 40 pin header.

It is powered using 2 lithium rechargeable batteries and you can see the battery charger module in the photo. The Pi simply plugs into the 40 pin header block.

Ill be adding a PetrockBlock powerblock to manage the safe shutdown and hard power off to save on batteries. But to save cost, there is also a version that relies on a manual shutdown and then flick the power switch to cut power.

There is also a replacement Audio Board and Powerboard. The audio board uses a PAM8302a moni amp but still retains the volume wheel and headphone jack.

Ill post updates as it progresses. I don't think there is much more to do in order to complete it. Maybe a little tweaking of the placement of components but nothing major.

SirLandry

Re: Game Gear Raspberry Pi Mod Kit!

Post by SirLandry » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:23 am

Glad to see you posting on here! Can't wait to see what everyone will do with your board after release! I have officially backed you and would like the option for two kits, if possible!

Spyder

Post by Spyder » Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:15 pm

That is slick

virtvic

Post by virtvic » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:34 am

Very cool - have you seen the repro coloured cases at www.retrosix.co.uk? https://retrosix.co.uk/Game-Gear-Shells-c54011205