WII U RASPBERRY PI 3 FINISHED

Want to show off your own project? Want to keep a build log of it? Post it here!
User avatar
Ely
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:44 am
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: WII U RASPBERRY PI 3 FINISHED

Post by Ely » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:44 am

Thanks for sharing the safe shutdown board :)
I have a quick question about the Res and Cap, which size should i take to fit perfectly ?
0603 like the leds or 0805 ?

Edit: Ok thanks for your update :)

Hadeze
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:56 am

Re: WII U RASPBERRY PI 3 FINISHED

Post by Hadeze » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:14 am

Has anyone tried to use the screen that comes with the Wii U? I just purchased a Wii U in non working order from eBay and getting ready to embark on this process.

User avatar
jbenedetto84
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:48 am
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: WII U RASPBERRY PI 3 FINISHED

Post by jbenedetto84 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:16 am

VeteranGamer wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:43 am
can someone please advise if this is a viable/workable option....



Image


Hi VeteranGamer,

Is this diagram pretty much what you ended up with? I've wired everything exactly like this (except using 2 18650 batteries in parallel) and I get the lightning bolt on battery and when plugged in. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance
Last edited by jbenedetto84 on Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
VeteranGamer
Posts: 1633
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:12 am
Location: London, UK
Has thanked: 471 times
Been thanked: 858 times

Re: WII U RASPBERRY PI 3 FINISHED

Post by VeteranGamer » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:59 am

jbenedetto84 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:16 am

Hi VeteranGamer,

Is this diagram pretty much what you ended up with? I've wired everything exactly like this (except using 2 18650 batteries in parallel) and I get the lightning bolt on battery and when plugged in. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

that not the wiring setup I have......

I will at some point soon add to the post about the button board how I wired mine up (when I have time)....

I'm using a 3.7V Lipo battery (not 18650)
also if your using the board designed by Helder you will NOT need the Pololu switchboard, as his board deals with the ON/Off





.

BlueWeaselBreath
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun May 27, 2018 7:57 am
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: WII U RASPBERRY PI 3 FINISHED

Post by BlueWeaselBreath » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:11 am

VeteranGamer, I'd be interested to know how you're doing your mounting of the components in there, what you are using as an insulated backing between the components and the LCD, and ESPECIALLY how you've mounted the charging port, since it's one component that NEEDS to be solidly attached. I'm working on my own build here and am currently struggling with how to put everything in and attach it, especially the ports. Thank you!

Hadeze
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:56 am

Re: WII U RASPBERRY PI 3 FINISHED

Post by Hadeze » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:10 pm

Banjokazooie, thank you for all the information you have posted here. I have a couple of questions.

1. For the LCD back plate you made out of copper clad PCB. Did you order it cut or did you cut it yourself?
2. If you cut it yourself what did you use to cut it with?
3. Can you please post the file of the PCB cutout?

Thanks

User avatar
Ely
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:44 am
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: WII U RASPBERRY PI 3 FINISHED

Post by Ely » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:05 pm

Hadeze wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:10 pm
Banjokazooie, thank you for all the information you have posted here. I have a couple of questions.

1. For the LCD back plate you made out of copper clad PCB. Did you order it cut or did you cut it yourself?
2. If you cut it yourself what did you use to cut it with?
3. Can you please post the file of the PCB cutout?

Thanks
For the PCB, you can buy one on ebay or aliexpress and you cut it yourself with a dremel using a metal cutting disk.
The template of the pcb is on this thread page 24

What you need > https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1-pcs-FR ... 04013.html

User avatar
jbenedetto84
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:48 am
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: WII U RASPBERRY PI 3 FINISHED

Post by jbenedetto84 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:37 am

VeteranGamer wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:59 am
that not the wiring setup I have......

I will at some point soon add to the post about the button board how I wired mine up (when I have time)....

I'm using a 3.7V Lipo battery (not 18650)
also if your using the board designed by Helder you will NOT need the Pololu switchboard, as his board deals with the ON/Off

I bought a 3.7v lipo (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BTV4J17/) but there's no way the gamepad will close if I put the battery behind the screen and the lcd board and raspberry pi on top of it - the HDMI port prevents the back cover from closing flush. I'm wondering if the mAh is too high which makes the battery too thick. I also used the LCD banjo referenced in his retropie build and not the i5 build. Did you have to expand the back of your gamepad by the original battery cover?

User avatar
VeteranGamer
Posts: 1633
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:12 am
Location: London, UK
Has thanked: 471 times
Been thanked: 858 times

Re: WII U RASPBERRY PI 3 FINISHED

Post by VeteranGamer » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:55 am

jbenedetto84 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:37 am
VeteranGamer wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:59 am
that not the wiring setup I have......

I will at some point soon add to the post about the button board how I wired mine up (when I have time)....

I'm using a 3.7V Lipo battery (not 18650)
also if your using the board designed by Helder you will NOT need the Pololu switchboard, as his board deals with the ON/Off

I bought a 3.7v lipo (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BTV4J17/) but there's no way the gamepad will close if I put the battery behind the screen and the lcd board and raspberry pi on top of it - the HDMI port prevents the back cover from closing flush. I'm wondering if the mAh is too high which makes the battery too thick. I also used the LCD banjo referenced in his retropie build and not the i5 build. Did you have to expand the back of your gamepad by the original battery cover?

I dont know how you've actually placed all your parts....

this is the battery I have used

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1pcs-SD ... 4c4d1eDDqu


and this is how my internals look...

Image



I also modified the screen holder (removing the cross bracing)

Image


allowing for everything to sit a little more deeper in......



.

User avatar
jbenedetto84
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:48 am
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: WII U RASPBERRY PI 3 FINISHED

Post by jbenedetto84 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:09 am

VeteranGamer wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:55 am
jbenedetto84 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:37 am
VeteranGamer wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:59 am
that not the wiring setup I have......

I will at some point soon add to the post about the button board how I wired mine up (when I have time)....

I'm using a 3.7V Lipo battery (not 18650)
also if your using the board designed by Helder you will NOT need the Pololu switchboard, as his board deals with the ON/Off

I bought a 3.7v lipo (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BTV4J17/) but there's no way the gamepad will close if I put the battery behind the screen and the lcd board and raspberry pi on top of it - the HDMI port prevents the back cover from closing flush. I'm wondering if the mAh is too high which makes the battery too thick. I also used the LCD banjo referenced in his retropie build and not the i5 build. Did you have to expand the back of your gamepad by the original battery cover?

I dont know how you've actually placed all your parts....

this is the battery I have used

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1pcs-SD ... 4c4d1eDDqu


and this is how my internals look...

Image



I also modified the screen holder (removing the cross bracing)

Image


allowing for everything to sit a little more deeper in......



.
Ahh I see. I didn't remove as much of the plastic from the lcd bracket as you, so thats definitely one reason. The other reason - the battery I purchased is 7.5mm thick and the one you linked is only 3.2mm. Thanks so much that should solve this issue (now to wait an eternity for aliexpress to ship the battery). As far as layout goes the picture you posted has been my guide this whole time.

How did you ward off shorting on the back of the lcd? Kapton tape? I'm currently using the cpu fan mesh that banjo used to fill the hole where the camera originally sat.

Also - I purchased 0603 SMD components for the wii u power button board and my soldering skills are ehhh. I went ahead and picked up some 1206 size components (leds, caps and resistors) which are a little bigger but I think will still fit on the pads. I'll keep you posted if it works. This might help others like me that don't have the steadiest of hands.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest