WII U Intel m5 Console

Want to show off your own project? Want to keep a build log of it? Post it here!
darkmore

Re: WII U Intel m5 Console

Post by darkmore » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:36 am

At least I could find some tests about the power consumption of the m3 stick:
https://www.anandtech.com/show/10447/th ... 0-review/6

It can spike up to 14W... Huston we need a better battery!!! XD
So cTDP it is!
With a better heatsink this will be a beast!

I'm start to think this system will be bottlenecked of it's 64GB eMMC storage read/write speed :)

IlMarso91

Post by IlMarso91 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:24 am

This could be a good solution.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_BU45hT

darkmore

Post by darkmore » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:38 pm

Looks good, but I think one fan with a copper heatsink (+thermal paste) would do also just fine, we need to disassembly the unit to see what can be used.

Also my support ticket got resolved at Intel:

"As per the higher team, you can make the changes to the TDP but it's highly recommended not to perform any changes to the system TDP which leads to CPU core damage and it also voids the warranty for Intel® Compute Stick STK2m364CC."

It is good news, you can set your TDP as you want, but I would not recommend to do so with a closed shell or the native tiny fan.

(Also I'm leaning right now towards a Lattepanda powered handheld which will be a tablet, with joycons a handheld and when docked connected to an eGPU+Powersupply a power(and money)house, but this can change if I can get my hands on a cheap M3 stick :) )

Forwardfix

Post by Forwardfix » Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:35 am

darkmore wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:38 pm
Looks good, but I think one fan with a copper heatsink (+thermal paste) would do also just fine, we need to disassembly the unit to see what can be used.

Also my support ticket got resolved at Intel:

"As per the higher team, you can make the changes to the TDP but it's highly recommended not to perform any changes to the system TDP which leads to CPU core damage and it also voids the warranty for Intel® Compute Stick STK2m364CC."

It is good news, you can set your TDP as you want, but I would not recommend to do so with a closed shell or the native tiny fan.

(Also I'm leaning right now towards a Lattepanda powered handheld which will be a tablet, with joycons a handheld and when docked connected to an eGPU+Powersupply a power(and money)house, but this can change if I can get my hands on a cheap M3 stick :) )
How can I change the TDP, M5 stick can not find any settings :?

darkmore

Post by darkmore » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:32 am

Install Intel XTU, I think you need to find the correct version too, as they love to exclude some of the systems from newer versions (they don't want you to fry your chipset). Also keep in mind that this will make only a big difference if your heatsink (=fan(s),thermal paste, radiator) is very good. If not, thermal throttling will kick in (hopefully) and lower your wattage settings.
Also some undervolting on the CPU&GPU will help to generate less heat.

pais83

Post by pais83 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:49 pm

darkmore wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:14 am

Dreamplans would be something like this:
Hardware: M3 stick, better heatsink, better fan, 5-6" display, very compact tablet form (+with joycon sliders)
First of all sorry for my english. That's exactly what i build. You will need a USB soundcard, the display board audio output will make a lot of noise

IlMarso91

Post by IlMarso91 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:52 pm

1 what are those small fans? A link?
2 what are you using to power the stick? The pololu converter?
3 are you using typec pd?

The sound from the board i'm using really have no issue when it comes to audio.

pais83

Post by pais83 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:03 pm

IlMarso91 wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:52 pm
1 what are those small fans? A link?
2 what are you using to power the stick? The pololu converter?
3 are you using typec pd?

The sound from the board i'm using really have no issue when it comes to audio.
1- https://m.alibaba.com/product/620118753 ... x140xz.jpg
2- yes, the same that banjo use in his build
3- no I'm using 2 batteries and the pololu stepdown.

You don't have issues with the sound because you don't use the same power to run the display board and the compute stick at the same time. When you use the same battery to power the stick and the display the noise will start

About the tdp i can confirm xtu works with the stick, and if you can keep the temps below 85º 7w and 8.5w make a great difference in performance. There is some apps for the gpd win2 for this and works with the stick.

Forwardfix

Post by Forwardfix » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:07 pm

darkmore wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:32 am
Install Intel XTU, I think you need to find the correct version too, as they love to exclude some of the systems from newer versions (they don't want you to fry your chipset). Also keep in mind that this will make only a big difference if your heatsink (=fan(s),thermal paste, radiator) is very good. If not, thermal throttling will kick in (hopefully) and lower your wattage settings.
Also some undervolting on the CPU&GPU will help to generate less heat.
After xtu configuration, the stress test can only be 8W for a long time, which will trigger the current limit. The peak value of 9W triggers the power consumption limit. In actual game applications, it can only maintain 6.4 ~ 6.8W instantaneous peak value 7W.
bios can't find any related setting options
IMG_20200409_094615.jpg
IMG_20200409_094615.jpg (3.63 MiB) Viewed 8718 times

darkmore

Post by darkmore » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:43 am

Here is the batchfile for setting the undervolt+TDP for CPU&GPU, I used this for my GPD win2, I don't know if it needs any tweaking for the 6y30:
https://pastebin.com/yG5VKqcc

This needs XTU-Setup-6.4.1.25.exe version of XTU.

I would recommend to try undervolting, if you are lucky you can go down to -60mV, I actually could run some things at -80mV.

Just be careful, I would never do this without a proper heatsink solution (I would consider the default Stick case+minifan a nogo for heavy tweaks.) I mean set the TDP higher than 7W.

And there are some personal preferences, I was never a fan of turbo boosting, I like to play with 1or2 games and tweak my hardware to these games, when I switch games I reconfigure my settings (I like to do this) :-)
Last edited by darkmore on Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.