SNES controller build.

Want to show off your own project? Want to keep a build log of it? Post it here!
rodocop

SNES controller build.

Post by rodocop » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:10 pm

So I was bored the other day and decided to do a simple snes pi with a spare usb control I had. I used the colored buttons for a GBZ so I just used gameboy buttons instead. The original maroon ones were an exact fit.

It's very simple, usb control soldered direct to the pi (usb is no longer accesible) but I performed a headless Wi-Fi set up and can do everything via SSH.

Wired up a micro usb breakout board and ran it to where the cord normally comes out, and I cut a slot for the micro HDMI adapter too. It was not possible to position the pi to avoid the use of the HDMI cable, but it's not too bad.

I've also added an LED that will stay illuminated while the pi is on, and shut off when the pi has shut down, this is to let you know when its okay to pull the plug

I've also added a simple tactile button to shut down the pi. Technically you can leave the control plugged in and use that button to turn it back on too.

I know this is nothing new or exciting, but it was a fun little project to help tide me over for a bit (although it took only about an hour!)
SpoilerShow

wermy
Site Admin

Re: SNES controller build.

Post by wermy » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:41 am

Nice :) I love that there are hardly any wires in there. I turned an original (i.e not USB) controller into a bluetooth controller a while back, and there were of course a bunch of wires which made it messy.
ImageImageImageImage

rodocop

Re: SNES controller build.

Post by rodocop » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:18 pm

Thanks, there's a few more wires since my internals pic. Since I added the led and switch, a whopping 4 more :)