[Help Needed] Mini Arcade Raspberry Pi 3

Want to show off your own project? Want to keep a build log of it? Post it here!
marciodsousa

[Help Needed] Mini Arcade Raspberry Pi 3

Post by marciodsousa » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:17 am

Hi Everyone,

Rather new here, but got motivated to do a build of my own.

Always wanted to have an arcade, but also a portable gaming device, and also something i can just plug-in the TV and use Kodi on or play some games.

I ended up buying this bad boy from amazon:
Mini Arcade stockShow
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01GKE ... UTF8&psc=1

Unfortunately, it was full of terrible games as one should expect. Some clones of real games but with messed up textures and sound, which, as we all know, is a HUGE part in playing retro games.

After tearing it up apart and peeling all the stickers (remove the glue was harder that I thought. Had to use WD40 and it worked amazingly) this is what i was left with.
Arcade tear downShow
It is one of those single board systems but it included a separated controller pad PCB which I intend to reuse (together with all the buttons), a speaker, power switch and a screen (obviously).

I ended up buying a Raspberry PI 3 since it I need and want some power when I plug it on the TV and play 1080p streams and games from PSX, N64 and so on.
So these were my requirements
  • Raspbery Pi 3
  • HDMI out
  • Easy access to Ethernet
  • Easy access to USB
  • Reuse Controller PCB
  • Reuse Speaker (might change if sound is too bad)
  • Add Battery For portability
Since I had no experience with electronics and soldering (and equipment for it) I was trying to avoid it as much as possible but it just wasn't possible at some point :)
After removing the whole battery compartment in the back (with a knife :( ) i realized it is the best spot for all the I/O to be. So, ethernet and USB from the Raspberry PI will go there, together with the HDMI extender and USB input for power.

Currently I have the screen working and also the buttons:
ProgressShow
But i am currently struggling with:
  • Wiring for power supply + battery: I will buy one from banggood since they are substantially cheaper than Powerboost, but I dont know which battery and how this powerboost would connect to the raspberry pi (via GPIO?!)
  • Wiring and components for speaker: I think itºs just a very simple mono speaker, so I was wondering if I really need a USB DAC and an Amp for this, or if I can just solder it to a headphone jack (??)
  • Also, what is the best way to secure the components position? I would like to avoid hot glue since I still want to be able to remove the components easily in case something goes south. Is there any screw hole thing I can buy?!
  • Fixing that terrible hole I just did: So, yes, in the end i will want to cover that hideous hole that exists where the battery compartment used to be. Any good ideas for this? 3d print a block of plastic with the cutouts I need for the IO and try to glue/sand it in place until "uniform"?
This is roughly the schematics of my componentsShow
Sorry for any english typos, not my mother language (Portuguese living in Belgium).
Last edited by marciodsousa on Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

YaYa

Re: Mini Arcade Raspberry Pi 3

Post by YaYa » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:46 am

Awesome hahaha
I like that !
Follow me on instagram Image

marciodsousa

Re: [Help Needed] Mini Arcade Raspberry Pi 3

Post by marciodsousa » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:42 am

Well, ended up buying a Volume Wheel from a Gameboy, a very common PAM8302 amp, a banggood power supply together with a 3000mAh battery (since it doesnt work properly without one). Links on the first post!

Unfortunately this means that work is now on hold until these items arrive, but I could still use some advice on the first post questions :)