Burger King Gameboy build log

Want to show off your own project? Want to keep a build log of it? Post it here!
eggbowl

Re: Burger King Gameboy build log

Post by eggbowl » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:31 am

hope i haven't come of as being rude because that wasn't my intention. i was more expressing frustration at the inconsistencies in the cases (and myself for not taking better measurements.) helder's been nice enough to share the board files which he didnt have to do and I've got a few more of these toys from ebay and yeah they're all different (I haven't opened them up yet but the outsides are different) so I'll probably give a go at trying the other ones. again i really am sorry if i seemed rude.

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:04 am

eggbowl wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:31 am
hope i haven't come of as being rude because that wasn't my intention. i was more expressing frustration at the inconsistencies in the cases (and myself for not taking better measurements.) helder's been nice enough to share the board files which he didnt have to do and I've got a few more of these toys from ebay and yeah they're all different (I haven't opened them up yet but the outsides are different) so I'll probably give a go at trying the other ones. again i really am sorry if i seemed rude.
I personally wouldn't say you were being rude (but thats just MO)....

maybe your overthinking this whole project....
or just NOT thinking on the right things...
(one things for certain, you've already started to fall at the first hurdles... be more positive)....

its NOT the easiest project based on the size....
and if this is your first project
its gonna be a challenging one...
(there are far easier and more well documented projects that you could try first)

personally....
if you came to the conclusion that you need to get a replacement screen,
without even knowing or trusting that the one you already has been tried and tested
(this project could ended up wasting a lot of time and money for you on things that just weren't needed or didn't need to be done)

the 2" screen you have (I'm assuming that you have the ST7789V)
is a very decent screen, and its at 320x240 resolution which is perfect for this build....

and it should fit into any of the Burger King Game Boy TOYS you have, or any others that are available.....
(good luck trying to find a decent 1.8" screen, especially one that offers anything near 320x240)

the board Helder shared....
has one major benefit, which is that it saves you from soldered directly to the screen
(which most would have end up butchering and ruining a perfectly good screen)

As you ordered from PCBway, you should have anything from 5 to 10 boards.....
just get a Dremel to a couple of the boards and make them fit.....

If you dont want to do that....
then I highly recommend that you look into making your own board (I'm serious about this)

I NOT suggesting that you attempt a Super AIO (but try that if you want)
but trying to make your own screen board/PCB, should be fairly straight forward....
and is a great little starter project for anyone new to that sort of thing

(How difficult can it be to use a computer)

Good luck and stay positive...
and keep us posted (we are here to help, we DON'T get offended that easily)...

derpykidgamer1

Post by derpykidgamer1 » Tue May 19, 2020 11:41 pm

Is is possible for someone who has one of these toys and some CAD experience to make a 3D model of this?

gambino37

Post by gambino37 » Wed May 20, 2020 6:47 am

derpykidgamer1 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 11:41 pm
Is is possible for someone who has one of these toys and some CAD experience to make a 3D model of this?
Absolutely possible.